HD tv help.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tfgraveyard, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    Hey all,
    Sometime this weekend, i'm looking to buy a HD Tv. I'm kinda illiterate when it comes to electronics. I'm mainly looking to get one for use with my xbox 360. I've got some basic questions:

What's the difference between 780i and 1080i? One tv i'm looking at only does up to 780i.

I've heard that you need a special dvd player to get up to 1080i? Is that true?

What's a good price? I've got plenty of space, so i'm not concerned about how 'thick' the tv is, and I don't plan on hanging one on the wall. I've looked at one tv(only displays up to 780i) that is on sale now for $500.

How does regular tv look on a HD tv? Is the picture stretched out, or does it display the same as it would on a normal tv?

What's the difference between HDTV and SDTV?

Thanks in advance!
    Matt

2. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You need an "HD Upconverter" DVD player for this. Also you need to buy an HDMI cable to get the 1080i resolution, which is an enhanced picture of a regular dvd movie, with better colors and smoother edges. Expect to pay at least $79 for the HDMI cable.
    You will get the normal ratio of 4:3 (Like how a normal old tv is shaped) when watching a non-hd broadcast on an HDTV. This means you will get bars on the sides. Most TV's let you adjust the aspect ratio of the picture which can stretch the picture across the screen or zoom it in. Also if you are watching a standard non HD channel on an HDTV, it's recommended that you use an S-video cable for the connection as this will help enhance the picture somewhat.
    HDTV is the sharper resolution signal which starts at around 1024 x 768 resolution. SDTV is more of a standard resolution, and no where near as sharp as HDTV.

Here's a link to some good information you can read for making your purchase:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/genericContent.do?oid=134730

3. Tfgraveyard

News Credits:
    Thank you, kind sir! :) 

4. Dream

Dream SEND THE BOOKS!

If space is not an issue, you should get one like this!

[​IMG]

It's a Sony 50" rear projection lcd, it's perfect for games. I just bought this over the weekend, and it's awesome.
    The HD channels are crystal clear, it's insane!
    Non HD stuff comes out very good as well.
    BUY IT! NOW!!!!

5. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

The numbers are your lines of resolution. i stands for "interlace" which causes the TV to refresh every other line at a time. If you're looking for 720p the p stands for "progressive" which refreshes every line at the same time. But what you should be looking at is the native resolution of the TV. (a native 720 will look better displaying HD content that a 480) If Xbox360 is your thing, I would go for a 720 native.

yeah, an upscaling DVD player. I personally dont see much increase in image quality with those, but people seem to like their results. And yes, you do need HDMI to upscale, but you dont need to overspend on HDMI cables. DONT buy those from retailers. They are FAR overpriced. Look online, you can find them cheap (looked in my list of links and found this, never ordered though http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024002&p_id=2283&seq=1&format=2&style= ). Also, remember that HDMI cable is digital, so you dont need to be told anything about "gold plating makes it better."

Honestly I'm not too sure on the pricing now-a-days. But things I look at in the specs are the what type of HDTV (LCD, DLP, ect) it is, the contrast ratio and the resolution first. I like LCD myself since its reasonably priced, and you don't see whats called the "rainbow effect" as some people do on DLPs.

I honestly dont like how regular TV looks on a HDTV, but its watchable. Like said, it will stay in 4:3 ratio unless you stretch it out or zoom in on it.

SDTV is a 480i tv. EDTV is a 480p tv. And HDTV is a 720-1080p tv.

6. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

Can I hijack?

How does SD/HD apply to computers/monitors?

7. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There are a few DVD players out there that can be hacked to do upscale over component outputs. In most cases, its as simple as entering a series of numbers.

neodigits also makes a DVD player that upscales to 1080p (most only do 1080i). It's relatively cheap too.

You might not need a new DVD player anyway as some TV's have upscale support built into them.

8. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Scroll down a page or two. They have a picture showing the various resolutions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDTV

9. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Depends on resoltion: IE if you have a monitor that suppors a 1920 X 1080resolution then it should be fully HD compatable. (1080P)

10. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    a DLP TV is better for games than LCD as there's NO way to get burn-in

11. Dream

Dream SEND THE BOOKS!

The ones I gots has an lcd screen and it also has dlp and hd and it's got the 1080 whatever you calls it, plus it makes me coffee!

12. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

If space isn't an issue, check out some CRTs instead of DLP or LCD. They're much better value, and IMO look better.

13. Tfgraveyard

News Credits:
    What about plasma HD tv's? I found a nice 42 inch for $1200 that i'm thinking of getting.