HD radio for my car!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vf-xx, May 31, 2007.

1. vf-xx

vf-xx ereh ees ot gnihtoN

Ebay:
    Ok, so right now it looks like the only HD radio I can get for my car without repacing the head unit (a PITA that I dont' want to mess with) is:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jxGs10Fu0In/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?I=60744000&tab=review#Tab

I have an aux port so I don't have to use the FM modulator, but I'm still not wanting to use the external remote. Unfortunately I don't think I can get this wired in to my existing head unit. Unless of course someone else has an idea of how to wire it. I know that there is an IPOD connectior that you can buy for this stereo, and I think it has hookups for a 6 disc changer. Anybody know of any good ways to commedeer either one of those connections for an HD tuner?

2. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    HD...radio?

What in the hell?

3. vf-xx

Ebay:
    What? Not heard of it yet? Digital radio, many large stations are now casting multiple audio streams on the same frequency.

4. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Yeah, HD is just the word of the day... Digital is what it SHOULD be called.

You can get HD labled everything these days...

5. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    High-Definition Radio! It's like seeing it...except it's not!

6. trump

trump WWBD?

So, mumps, that HD coffee mug I bought isn't really HD?

Crap.

7. Turbocharger

Turbocharger We should get more letter

I wonder how many people they have fooled by using "HD" as their brand name?

8. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    If they're throwing out multiple audio streams on the same frequency, maybe it means High Density Radio.

'Course, that's not what most people will hear it as.

9. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

When I first heard about HD Radio, I thought it was a joke that the station was running to mock HDTV.

10. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

my deck is HD Radio ready....the current model for mines has it built-in....i hardly ever listen to the radio anyways, its either Music CDs, MP3 CDs, or the iPOD....

and they like to say FREE FREE FREE....yeah in a sense, but what most people dont know is that you have to buy the module just to get the stations, which is pricey (~$200)

11. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    What kinda car is it? I might be able to help, or at least I'll try.

From the looks of the unit that you linked to, the only ways to use that piece are to use the FM mod or have a head unit with RCA (component) hookups. Most of the nicer Ipod interfaces for OEM radios will replace a factory optional input like a cd changer or something of that nature. If it's a wired FM mod, it should work well. That's how we're having to do most of the sat. radios now.

12. vf-xx

Ebay:
    It's an 07 Civic LX Sedan.

I only understand about half of what you've said. I've never messed with the head unit of any of my cars.

13. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Satellite Radio > HD Radio

14. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    HD Radio is a fancy term to sucker in those who think everything has to be in HD. I heard a commercial on the regular (apparently out of date) radio advertising lasic surgery for HD Vision. Give me a friggin' break.

15. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

Bah, my Ipod makes any station worthless anyway. I hate commercials and talking.

16. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    Okay. A FM modulator is a device that will act similar to a small, self contained, radio station. Most of the stand alone sat. radio recievers have these built in. When you turn it on, you go into the menu, pick FM (something), then pick the station you want it to play on. It must be a freq. with no station or a very weak one. Most of the newer units don't have enough power to play clearly and you have to use an extra piece that plugs in the back of your radio with your radio antenna plug and plugs into your sat. radio receiver on the other end. These work well, but can be a pain to put in. I've not had a dash on an 07 Civic apart yet, so I can't say for sure on it.

RCA or component hook ups look similar to your dvd or video game hook ups. You will have red and white plugs for your audio just like you dvd or game console. Very, very few oem radios have this.

As far as the comment on ipod adapters, many cars will have some type of optional audio device, like a cd changer. The changer has to plug into the head unit of the car to work. Most of the fancier, hard wired ipod adapters will replace where the changer or other device plug in.

I have to somewhat agree with Devs. Sat. radio is great. No commercials. I've not listened to HD, but the way I understand it, it's just clearer broadcast radio.

Hope I've helped.

17. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I eventually want to pick up a radio with a USB port. I never listen to the radio. Our good rock station went to talk, and the other one comes in fuzzy half the time. And I hate country and rap.

18. vf-xx

Ebay:
    Yeah, I know my head unit has the ability to control a 6 disc changer, and there is an optional iPod connection kit. My big issue is wondering if there is some HD radio unit that I can plug into my stereo using one of those connections in such a way that I can control the HD radio with the normal/existing stereo controls. I don't want to have to use a different set of controls.

As for Satellite vs HD, I have distinct issues with paying for radio.