HD Powerless. Any Solutions?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Reeds, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

So, I have this 120GB Maxtor. I had two and one day, one of them wouldn't power up. I know the basic answer to be throw out and buy new HD, but I had alot of work on that HD and some of it wasn't backed up. I was in the midst of consolidating information when the drive went coma on me.

Besides spending a grand at a recovery service, does anyone know a remedy for this?

2. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

This an external or internal HD?

Go to maxtors site and download the drive health utility. They have an ISO image which you can burn to a CD.It is also bootable. Boot up with that and only the problem hard drive. Run the tests, if it finds a problem you will get an error code that you can use for warranty replacement from maxtor, if it finds no problems pop out your power supply and take it to a local computer shop to have them test it.
    The power supply itself might be ok, 330 watts seems kinda low, I usually suggest 400 - 450.
    Check newegg.com when checking for a new power supply. Remember generic power supplies run about 50 watts less than the max rated. So if your looking for a 450 watts, you'll want a 500 if it's generic.

3. oddsey

oddsey Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman?

News Credits:
    I think that the OP is saying that the actual drive will not power up, rather than anything to do with the power supply of the pc.
    Saying that, it's always worth swapping the power connector with one that you know works.(assuming we are talking internal pc, swap with your dvd/cd drive power connector)
    If you have no joy with that, there is the option of getting an identical HD (make and model) and swapping the circuit board part of the two hard drives over, hoping that the actual 'platters' of the disk are fine. It's a fairly simple operation, but would invalidate any guarantee on both drives and it may not work. Depends how valuable the lost data is to you I suppose.
    Other than that, if there is no power then you are fooked!

Hope that helps!

4. Reeds

Thanks for the help guys.

That circuit board swap sounds like an idea. I do have an identical functional drive I can use. Might give that a go. I'm pretty sure its a lost cause, but I gotta try or else wondering will always bother me.

5. oddsey

News Credits:
    No probs.

Just make sure you back up owt on the drive you are gonna use for surgery first!!!

Good luck, let us know if you are successful!

6. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    It would cost you a grand? Where do you go?

When my 80 gig hard drive died, I only paid $150. That included recovering everything on the dead drive, and putting it on a new drive, and and them installing the new drive in my computer(along with putting windows, etc on it).

7. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

Is this an external drive? If it is, is it one of those small ones or one of the big suckers? If it's a big one, big enough to fit a full size hard drive, you should be able to crack it open and remove the HDD then just plug it directly into your PC. If it's one of the smaller ones it's probably a laptop size drive, so you'd need adapters to hook it up.

If it's an internal drive, disregard everything I said of course. And good luck regardless, HDD failures suck.

8. Reeds

My second drive wasn't an exact match, so I ordered a PCB that was and that will hopefully get here next week. I'm still psyched that there is a chance to get all my work off here. And if it doesn't work, at least I'll know and ditch the brick.

As far as external/internal, its a 3.5" ata drive, so no matter where I plug it, whether an external kit or in the pc, its the drive itself that's dead. Trust me, I've tried all sorts of power cables and sources. I've got over a decade of web dev and programming on it, so I would just like to have it back if possible. I even have my old AOL-hacking programs on it from '95 :) 

thanks again for all the input fellers! I will update in a week or so with hopefully good news.

9. Reeds

It worked!!

Thanks for all the help! Got a new PCB, fit it on and the sucker powered up!

I haven't moved my work off the drive yet though. I figure, it works now and I know how to fix it if it happens again...I'm pushing my luck. :) 

10. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Your drive had to be powering for this to work, the company I work for is a seagate recovery partner and for recovery on a non powering drive is gonna cost alot more than $150, I believe it is atleast $850USD Min. Also a recovery center wouldnt be able to reinstall windows onto the drive as they would need your machine and hardware their, it sounds like you had a failing drive and took it to a repair shop.

11. oddsey

News Credits:
    :thumb 

No problem.
    Glad it worked for you, but I'd back up anything that is really important asap just in case!
    Next time it might be a more serious problem, so even if you only back up to cd/dvd, it's advisable now.