HD DVD Players...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeremy.B, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Anyone know:

* What is HDMI and upconversion?
    * Where is the cheapest place to get an HD DVD Player?

2. pcsguy88

pcsguy88 I'm a Toys R Us kid TFW2005 Supporter

HDMI is the new standard for connecting any HiDef device. It carries an encrypted 2-way signal between devices, allowing them to talk to eachother (like you TV and DVD player). It also carries the audio signal, allowing your device to have only 1 cable connected to it.

Upconverting is when a regular DVD is processed by the player and "upconverted" into a HiDef signal. It does not look as good as HD-DVD or Bluray, but it is an improvement over regular DVD. Your DVD player must be connected to your TV with an HDMI cable for it to upconvert a signal.

Your cheapest source right now is online, ebay or in the closeout section of electronics stores. They are creating new models so fast, they end up in the clearance section after 4 or 5 months. I have seen the Toshiba HDA2 for as low as $180. Do not buy an HDA1.

If you own an XBOX 360, I highly recommend purchasing the HD-DVD add-on for $169 at Walmart.

3. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

To be honest unless you are running an HDMI cable 9 foot or less avoid it with a passion. Due to lack of proper shielding and signal strength it does not fair well over 9 foot.

4. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Cant say I know alot of people who keep their dvd player 9 feet from their tv....

5. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Projectors.

6. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    HD DVD is touting their "cheap" players. But keep in mind they will not be the best quality available. Some will only go up to 720 resolution. Do some research. Also keep in mind with the current format war, both HD and BD have exclusives the other won't get. Find out who has more movies you want to see. And please don't get HD only because of Transformers.

7. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

I bought an Onkyo HDMI upscanning DVD player. I play my standard DVDs in 1080i on my TV and they look pretty good. Not BlueRay or HD-DVD good but close enough for me to sit on the sidelines during this stupid format war.

8. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Also from what I've been told the Xbox 360 will upconvert DVD's. But only when properly updated and only through the PC connector.

9. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Uh, no, that would be a stupid idea. I will probably just get the upconvert anyway for now - they have them at Walmart for like 50 bucks, then buy a nicer HD DVD player later on...

Don't really want one for the xbox 360, as I hate turning on the video game system to watch a movie.

10. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Like windcharger mentioned. Upconverting still looks really nice on an HD set, even if it is not as good as true HD. I like my BD movies but still really enjoy watching a standard upconverted on my set.

Unfortunately, with 2 competing formats it is hard for anyone to make a choice in an HD player and not maybe get screwed in the end.

You are wise to wait it out for a little while longer.

11. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I did. :drunk  I purchased the 360 add-on the day it was announced for HD-DVD. I don't regret it for a second. And on topic, High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) is a licensable audio/video connector interface for transmitting uncompressed, encrypted digital streams. And in english, it's currently the best possible cable for a digital signal.

12. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    If I had a 360 I would probably have done the same. But I wouldn't put out for a standalone player.