HD-DVD drive for 360

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by ChldsPlay, Nov 11, 2006.

1. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

Picked this up today. Been waiting for awhile now since I've stopped buying regular DVDs since I knew I'd be getting this and PS3 next week. Checked out MI3 and it's looking pretty damn good. Definately better than what you'll get on cable or sat in HD. The sound is better too. Everything just seems to have more depth, picture and audio. It came with King Kong, but since I'm not a big fan of that movie, I'm not sure if I'll check it out, or try and exchange it somewhere once it's released in stores. Ordered Serenity, Batman Begins, and Cinderella Man from deepdiscount, Clerks 2 next month. Gears of War is pretty bad ass from the 20 min. I've played so far. FF3 on DS is coming soon, PS3, Wii/Zelda, it's a good time to be a gamer....if only I didn't have a job and had time to enjoy everything.

2. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

cause the drive connects to the 360, i heard it cant do 1080p (and i think 1080i too)...is that right?

i was gonna get a 360 just to get the HD add-on...but standalones are $500....and i dont have a HDTV.

Being a Gamer right now is kicking my ass....too much games, not enough money :( 

3. Menasor

Menasor Jibba Jabberin' Automod

I believe the newest 360 update put in support for 1080p to coincide with the release of the hd-dvd drive for it.

I might pick up the hd drive for the 360 in the next few months but the problem is that I have nowhere to put it. My shelf is already full of equipment so space is at a premium.

4. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

I just put mine on top of my 360 (this is one of the ways it is shown being setup in the instructions). Finding somewhere to plug it in was what was hard for me. I have no idea what I'll do for the PS3 and Wii, I already know I'm going to have to get a splitter since I'm completely out of inputs on my TV and receiver.

The update does allow for 1080p, it already allowed 1080i prior to the update. If you don't have an HDTV OmegaScourge, there's no reason to get something for an HD add-on.

5. lancer0000

lancer0000 Well-Known Member

So would you recommend this add on to me? I haven't decided whether to get it or not.

6. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I’m trying to hold out on getting HD-DVD or Blue Ray for as long as I can. I don’t want to end up like the guy I use to know stuck with a butch of movies on Beta when his player finally broke down and he couldn’t get a new one.

7. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm still waiting for Intervideo to send me the final retail version of their HD DVD playback software. Once they do, I'll probably pick up MS's HD DVD drive and see if I can get it to work with my PC. Supposedly its recognized by Windows.

8. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Chldsplay here again,

That depends. If you have an HDTV, you like movies, and aren't too afraid that the format won't be around long, then yeah. And also assuming there are movies on HD-DVD that you want. If not, then I'd at least wait until there were.

9. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

He probably felt like the guy in the Twilight Zone, whose glasses broke when he finally had time enough!

10. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

The HD-DVD drive is a waste of cash, really. I mean, it sucks up -all- the resources in the 360 because the player is software based and it's also a freaking ADD ON. So no. No way in hell I'll be buying it.