HBO turns "A Song of Fire & Ice" into fantasy series

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DevilzFan, Jan 17, 2007.

1. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Never read the series, but I'm intrigued if HBO's doing it.

Link

2. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

From what I've heard and read about the series, Rome and Deadwood don't come anywhere close to the crap that's in A Song of Fire and Ice.

3. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Never read the books, but I've heard nothing but good things about HBO's original shows and really liked what I saw of "Six Feet Under," so I'm interested, but I'll have to wait till I can rent the DVDs.

4. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

I love Deadwood, some of the best characterizations I have seen on television. Looking forward to seeing Preacher, this should be good also.

5. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

If they don't cancel this early, I'll even forgive them for Carnivale. [​IMG] ASoIF is the best fantasy series ever. And while it is a fantasy series, it's a lot more like Rome than LotR. Magic is very, very rare.

6. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    <--- Deadwood is great. I'll give this a go.

7. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I thought at first, this would be a live action series, based off the animated movie Fire and Ice by Ralph Bakshi.

8. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

Sounds awesome, I was worrying what I was going to watch on HBO what with Rome, Deadwood, and The Sopranos coming to an end soon. I love the idea of doing a series of books this way it sounds alot better than making them movies. I just wish that HBO would have done that with Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome series inseted of doing Rome. I know it's kind of ot but what other series of books would you guys like to see get this treatment?

9. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Rome's ending? Is season 2 it? It just started up again this past Sunday :( 

10. butz

butz slippery when wet

I don't have HBO. Oh well- if it turns out awesome it'll wind up on DVD sooner or later.

11. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

I love the books so far. Hope HBO does it justice. Of course, I guess that means I'll have to get HBO again. Maybe I can find a way to get Directv to give it to me for free.

12. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

Yep cause it's too exepensive to make. As it is I think they rushed thru some of the history too fast, but oh well it's fun to watch as long as I turn my brain off. If you want a very good historical fiction virsion of rome in and around that era check out Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome series it's awesome and you can learn a good amount from it too (that and one of the coolest things she did is hand drawn portrats of all of the main protaganests like Marius, Sulla, and Caeser all drawn form the real portrait busts and statuary if they exist). I will admit that in the fifth book (CAESER) I marked out to read the parts with Pullo and Vorenus in it.

13. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

Awesome. Amazingly awesome. Anyone who hasn't checked out the series should - it's a modern classic and stands with the best of Scifi and Fantasy, such as Dune and Tolkien's stuff. Posterity-wise, I think he'll actually be giving Tolkien a run for his money. Easily the best thing on the shelf right now - I can't recommend him highly enough.

As to a TV series, there's good reason to be optimistic. George R. R. Martin was in TV for a long time, so I think he'd have the experience to navigate Hollywood successfully to make a high quality show.

As to budgets, though... if Rome is ending because it's too expensive, I'm not sure how much cheaper this one would be. Unless Rome uses excessive CG - I have the box set for season 1, but haven't had the chance to watch any of it yet.