Customs: Having trouble painting Aly Prime

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by goldent, Sep 16, 2006.

1. goldent

goldent goldenprime

Ebay:
    This is my 1st time trying a repaint of any kind. I'm trying Alt Prime into Magnus. I dismantled it and started spray painting it today using Krylon Fusion Flat White this morning. I went to the UCF (University of Central Florida) college football game (They lost, but great game), I come back home only to see that the original red "fused" with the white and now it looks like a faded Creamsicle.

Any ideas/suggestions on how to salvage this?

If this one comes our fine, my next project was to turn Alt Mirage into Arcee. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all in advance.

2. goldent

goldent goldenprime

Ebay:
    I meant Alt Prime repaint help needed

I misspelled "Alt".

3. DavidLoPan

DavidLoPan Well-Known Member

I had a similar problem with fusion white on to red. I gave it another coat and the red cream got whiter but still wasn't perfect. So I don't know if you wanna try 3 coats. I would try priming him first and then giving him some fusion.

4. Wikkid

Wikkid Semi-retired customizer

Red will always bleed through with a white topcoat. Reguardless of brand. The only thing you can do is use a grey primer or sealer prior to painting. A grey primer/sealer will also set up a neutral foundation that will avoid differences in colour between buttmatched parts. (door to fender, trunk to quarter panel,etc.) One coat should do the job but being that you've already sprayed it, recoating it could cause the paint to look thick, or could even possibly cause alligatoring of the already applied paint.

5. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

How much of it is already painted, you could soak it in alcohol and scrub the paint off with a toothbrush, then start again with primer. It works with testors spray paint, not too entirely sure about Krylon.

6. MikeTSI

MikeTSI The Reclaimer TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I was going to start this same project tonight. Glad I read this first.

What type of primer would you guys suggest? Is there a kind of primer I can use in my airbrush?

Mike

7. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I've had good luck using Testors acrylics on TFs. (both regular Testors and Model Master) They airbrush great. You might want to try using white primer. I'd think it would be more resistant to bleed through than regular white paint. (I've had good luck using it over black.)

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Talk to vector . . . :) 

9. goldent

goldent goldenprime

Ebay:
    I basically painted the fron 1/2 of the truck. The back 1/2 is still unpainted. I'll try to undo what I did with the alcohol idea and tooth brush (I happen to have a huge bottle and an extra tooth brush).

10. 1987olds442

1987olds442 Cam Maximus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Soak the parts in oven spray cleaner it will dissolve the Krylon Fusion with out hurting the plastic. Use a sealed container for the oven cleaner and spray in a well ventilated area. I used this method all the time and it works great. It’s an old model builder technique.

11. goldent

goldent goldenprime

Ebay:
    I'm soaking a couple of front end parts in alcohol and will do the hook back window part in the oven spray cleaner later this week.

Thanks for the input all.

12. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    aw. i was hoping this was a custom of a nappy-fro'd prime with red gloves, floatin like a butterfly, sting like a....

omg. fanart idea.

13. goldent

goldent goldenprime

Ebay:
    I tried the soaking the front end parts in alcohol for day. A very small bit came off. I tried scrubbing it with a toothbrush and nothing would come off. Thanks for the idea though. I'm going to try the soaking it in oven spray cleaner next. I also dropped a PM to Vector to get his input too. Thanks to all again.

14. goldent

goldent goldenprime

Ebay:
    Also, what's a good primer to use? Is there a particular brand that does the trick?

15. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

First off, go to an auto parts store and pick up some Castrol Super Clean. Get a good air-tight plastic container and some rubber gloves, because the stuff eats skin, but leaves plastic alone. Then soak your parts in it for a day or two. Then that paint will come off, if it's ever going to.

Secondly, there's a LOT of good primers that work in an airbrush. My personal favorite is Mr. Primer/Mr. Surfacer 1000. Mix 50/50 with Mr. Thinner or Mr. Retarder and it gives you a nice flat grey surface to paint on. But, like I said, there's a lot of others available. Your best bet to find a good one in your local area that will work in an airbrush would be to hit up the local hobby shop and ask them what they recommend for plastic models. You really can't go wrong with Tamiya, Mr. Color Products, or Testors Model Masters. I stay away from the less expensive Testors enamel products because, well, they just seem to give me nothing but problems. But the Model Masters acrylics and lacquers are really pretty good. Just shop around for something you can buy easily locally, because you want something you can pick up more of quickly and easily if you get a new project in mind.

Good luck.

16. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    OMG there's someting named that? :lolol 

17. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Do it. DO IT NOW! And make a George Forman Megatron to go with him. :) 

18. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Yep. The results of whacky Japanese that only sort-of understand English translating product names for the US market. Though, in fairness, it is used to "retard" the speed with which the primer/paint dries.

19. goldent

goldent goldenprime

Ebay:
    Thanks for the info. I'll look for Mr. Retarder to fix my Retarded mistake.

20. goldent

goldent goldenprime

Ebay:
    OK... so I totally destroyed my Prime and and LOC Soudwave I was turning into Soundblaster. I actually had Soundblaster done with dummy mode kicked in. I accidently sprayed him with WHITE GLOSS instead of CLEAR GLOSS because I was listening to the Jags/Colts game. So now I have a white Soundblaster that looks like the ghost of Soundwave.

As for Prime, I made the mistake of spraying it on a trash bag. Every time the paint dried it peeled off the side that was lying on the trash bag, thus having me do it all over again. What's a better surface to paint on? a flat box? A sheet?

Man, I'm having Napoleon Dynamite Syndrome these days....IDIOT!!!!