Having seconds thoughts on the wii

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by peeman, Oct 14, 2006.

1. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anyway i was always going to buy the wii because i love the metroid series and i probably still will but i am not sure i will at launch anymore.

I saw this video of someone playing red steel on the wii and to be honest i'm not to impressed

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2006/09/05/red-steel-wii-controller-gameplay-demo.htm

It appears that the wii controler is kind of like a cross between and eye toy and a lightgun neither set the world alight and yet it isn't as good as either of them. Also i rekon after an hour your hands will really start to ache holding the controler like that and moving around not to mention the fact that 90% of the games i have seen require you to be standing to work properly. Something i'm not sure i can be arsed to do, as a gimmick with friends yes but when i come home from work thats the last thing i want to be doing i just want to colllapse in a chair, i would buy it if i thought that most games would work on the standard controller there releasing but it appears not and you have to use the nunchuck and remote and apparently most of the launch games like monkey ball have sensitivity issues. Also metroid has now been delayed to 2007 and i'm not sure its worth it.

The other option is the 360 as i played the demo of fear on it and that looks awesome, i was planning on buying one when halo 3 comes out and get the wii now , but i might swap them over and pick up the 360 now and get the wii when metroids released. also i mentioned work , i work in a game shop and all the other staff members are on xbox live with 360's every night so that would be fun i guess playing rainbow 6 and stuff when its released

so any thoughts? anyone have any views on that vid?

EDIT: oh also not to sure i like the idea as playing as a wolf in zelda so that will have to be bloody good for me to consider getting it , which to be fair it probably will be

thanks

2. meetoblivion

meetoblivion aka chazzy

Ebay:
    my understanding was that there is no actual dependency on the nunchuk, and you could use the standard controller + the remote as alternate.

3. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

FEAR bored me to tears on the PC, yet another varietyless modern FPS that wants to be like the movies.

4. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

I'm totally unimpressed by Red Steel.

5. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Until I have a controller in my hand so I can test run the sucker, I'm going to hold off. I'm intrigued, but not enough to blow money on.

6. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I was planning on getting one at launch too until I realized I wouldn't be buying any games for it for a long while(other than Mario 64 and other Mario titles on the VC). I'll wait for a price drop to $200 or less.

As for F.E.A.R., its a pretty cool game. It can get boring as most shooters can since its the same or similar stuff throughout most of the game. The AI can be a pain since they can pin you down while another flanks you and pops up to your unguarded side/back. Running, jumping then pressing melee is awsome - its usually a 1-hit kill kick to the face which is always great.

7. Spaceman

Spaceman Shaken not Stirred

Ebay:
  8. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Me too. It’s just another crappy FPS that just happens to be the first for the Wii. If they come out with a version of Half-Life 2 with Wiimote-crowbar smashing action, then maybe I'd get an FPS for the system. To tell the truth, the only reason to get a Wii, or any Nintendo product really, is if you want to play their first-party games (Mario, Zelda, etc.). That’s the reason I'm picking one up. If you like playing FPS games on a console, I'd recommend getting a 360 and waiting for Halo 3.

9. CheetahDC

CheetahDC Well-Known Member

Metroid Prime 3 isn't a launch title anymore?

10. War Bearer

War Bearer Banned

I hope most of the games on the Wii are not games with just a different control setup rather than something innovative.

11. NSJ23

NSJ23 Binalternator Lover

Nope, March 07 according to gamestop.

I want a Wii but I agree I don't want any of the launch titles. So I think I'll wait until 07 to get one.

12. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    when I first heard the news, I was upset. but then I realized that I'll be plenty occupied with zelda and god of war II AND zelda DS...

13. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

o_O 

I found this article on digg which puts to rest some of your concerns.

http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news?id=23483

Looks like they just got their hands on Wii Sports, Excite Truck, and Zelda. And what they're saying is really positive. They said you dont have to play standing up (except with stuff like Wii Golf). And after their play session, they were not worn out or anything.

And Im seeing a lot of Red Steel hate around here. I may buy that game solely because (holy crap!) a 3rd party developed a exclusive game for a Nintendo console, and I want to see MORE of this. Also, I think the game looks respectable in its own right. Only problem with the game is that the "bouncing box" is huge, and does not respond more like a PC FPS as Metroid Prime 3 does.

14. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Ditto quick question is that sig pic of your from The Magnificent 7?