Having Problems With New PC Build

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Deceptijohn, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    So my 6 yr old rig died and I ordered up new guts for my case. First PSU was DOA. RMA'd it and got a new one. It is definitely getting power this time, but the damn thing won't turn on when I hit the button. I've been over and over the system header panel connections and It looks like the manual says it should.

This is only my second build. The first one I built was a 6yr plug and play success. I'm at a loss as to how to proceed and am looking for some advice. I'm thinking I might just take it to someone to sort out for me. Has anyone used Geek Squad with success? I am loathe to resort to such measures, but I clearly need some help with this build.

Any advice on a course of action from more experienced builders is appreciated.

2. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    Some detailed pics might be helpful. I am under the impression that you have only replaced the power supply for your old computer, and are not building a whole new brand computer?

3. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Out of curiosity, can you list the parts you used?

I actually just built my new PC last night, and it wouldn't boot. I couldn't figure out why, but then I realized that along with my USB mouse and keyboard, without thinking I had plugged in my USB headset too. For whatever reason, it refused to boot while that was plugged in. Hopefully it's just something silly like that.

4. Deceptijohn

News Credits:
    I am building a new PC inside my old case. The only other components I am reusing are the optical drives. And to clarify, it's not that the system won't boot, it's that there is no response from the power switch, but there is definitely power to the machine. In my mind, it's either a DOA MB or somehow I am not connecting the system header properly.

components:

CPU-Phenom II X4 975 Black Edition 3.6Ghz
    MB-ASRock M3A770DE
    Ram-GSkill RipJaws 4GB DDR3 PC1600
    PSU-Corsair Builder's Series 500W
    Vid-EVGA GTX 550
    HDD-WD 320GB 7200 Sata 3.0
    Sound-Asus Xonar_DG 5.1

What pics do you want?

5. Atomsplitter

If you're willing to, you can check to see if it's the MB by using a flathead screwdriver and touching the PWR_BN pins at the same time. Do this at your own risk though, as if you hit the MB, hit the wrong pins, etc etc there is risk of messing up the board.

6. Deceptijohn

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'll take it to someone else before I risk that hehe. My Bro-in-law suggested a local family-owned repair shop hes used before with good results. If I can't get this sorted tonight I'll probably take it in there tomorrow.

7. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    So the MB is getting power? I take it the CPU fan turns on and the optical drive lights light up?

8. Deceptijohn

News Credits:
    There is a light on the Ethernet port of the MB that lights up when the PSU is turned on.

9. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I built a machine earlier this year and had some issues. I was setting the processor properly, but the fans just weren't cooling it well enough. Well, that's what I expected, but it was confirmed once I eventually took it to a shop and they ended up just giving me a much better cooling system for the processor after testing and finding out that was definitely the problem. HOWEVER, my point isn't necessarily that it's your processor, just that you can keep pulling your hair out or pay someone to find out for sure. Just find a good local place that has a set rate, not an "hourly fee".

10. Deceptijohn

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm going to give that shop my bro-in-law recommended a call tomorrow and see what they have to say about pricing. All I need it to do is power on and post and I'm gtg. I don't need help installing the OS, drivers software etc. My last build was so painless....this one is so frustrating. Maybe I just got lucky last time. :) 

11. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

Why don't you try reseating the main PW connection to make sure it is snapped tightly and then try pulling it off the board gently without pushing in the small lever to release it from the board. Then make sure the pins are either a 20pin or 24pin on power supply and board and count then if need be and if its 24pin then you need all parts of the power connection which all PW supplys come with if you buy a 20/24 pin pw supply. Then check to see if you have the small PU power cable plugged in near the pocessor that is a 4 pin connection. That can keep a MB from starting as well. Their will be a 4 pin plug where this 4 pin plug will go that the PW supply has that will say something like PU or something similar but it will have a P in the writing on the plug. If that don't fix the issues then its possibly the MB but can't rule as I don't have it in front of me to look at. It sounds like mostly its just ALL power issues.

12. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    This sounds like a BIOS problem, basically your Pc is looking for a System disk from the active USB port, but because its just headphones it doesn't find anything and therefore doesn't boot up. My work PC does this, I have to unplug the USB hub from the back before it will boot up.

13. Atomsplitter

Yeah, luckily it was only an issue the first time I booted it up before I installed Windows, it hasn't been an issue since. Having to do unplug the USB every time sounds odd though.