Haven't they learned?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Kaymac, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Hasbro should know by now what shelfwarms and what doesn't. What sits on the shelves unloved and what flies off at a rapid pace. Really, there aren't too many toys that are REALLY bad shelfwarmers on par with Injector, but really, some toys sit for months, and prevent new stuff from entering the market due to their pure bad-ideaishness. My question is, why hasn't Hasbro learned what shelfwarms and what doesn't yet? Do they get sales reports, or are they left in the dark?

This is tough to answer because not everywhere has the same shelfwarmers, but everyone knows about Tuner Mudflap, the current supplier of heat, and the various exclusive two packs that just sit around. There's not much we can do about it, because even we don't want some of those bad toys, but we can tell Hasbro what's happening out there in the real world, and that we don't need another Mudflap redeco!

2. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I could make a witty remark concerning the thread title and where it was posted, but instead I'll just move this to TF Toy Discussion... ^_~

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    They don't know what shelfwarms and what doesn't until it's actually out and warming. There's no formula for a shelfwarmer. There's things that contribute to a figure shelfwarming, but in the end it's entirely up to the consumer. What fans may love the average Joe may hate, and vice-versa.

Take for example Mudflap. Mostly sells out due to his popularity among the target demographic, but his Tuner repaint is a pretty damn big pegwarmer. His HA figure is super-scarse and his original toy sold well enough.

4. Sharktibolt

Sharktibolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't the stores pick their exclusives? If you want to blame someone for another Mudflap repaint, blame Wal-Mart.

5. Kaymac

I think Hasbro comes up with them and just chooses a store. If the store agrees, it gets sold there. Stores don't really give a crap what it is. We see the packages and ideas for two packs show up in the news section before the store is even chosen, too. Also, exclusives are a just plain weird idea too.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    they do.

They won't want to carry something that doesn't sell. Why do you think it's so hard to get those remaining Animated toys out?

7. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i know it is off-topic, but new episodes of my little transformer! i could cry haha

anyways, yea, tuner mudflap was the worst idea hasbro has had in a long time

8. Kaymac

Explain to me why after Whirl and Bludgeon shelfwarmed, TRU got another two pack (Mixmaster and Hoist) that also shelfwarmed, and then the newest one (Demolishor with Ice Cream Truck Twins) is currently warming shelves too? Oh, and in Canada, Recon Ravage clutters our shelves at TRU.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Because TRU thinks it will sell. Movie toys = money, and lots off it. They just don't know which movie toys. In fact, TRU seems to love exclusives.

10. Kaymac

Makes sense, but TRU needs to move away from two packs, IMO. At least here in my town they warm shelves like crazy. No Voyagers or anything else in a box at my TRU beyond those two packs. TRU just keeps hoping for the best accepting those bad two packs, but really, it's not turning out well for them. I'm sorry for saying they don't give a crap, but sometimes it just plain feels like it's true.

11. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    When it comes to exclusives, it's sort of half and half. Hasbro does come up with things they want to release, but they can't if no store is interested, which is why the Seacons didn't get made during Energon and had to wait for the birth of the FunPub Club. The stores also tell Hasbro what they want the exclusives to be, which is why Fracture/Breakaway/Crankcase were released as Movie toys. Hasbro intended to release them in regular Universe waves, but Wal-mart asked for new toys in Movie packaging.

12. Kaymac

TRU just sort of gets handed them or requests them, but Wal-Mart DEMANDS, and they know what'll sell. That's why their exclusives don't shelfwarm often. It took me ages to find Legends Class Devastator, and I only saw Skywarp and Ramjet once. They know what's cool. The only exclusives sitting there now are the Scout Two Packs. Wal-Mart seems to be much more efficient than TRU when handling exclusives. Ironic, considering TRU is a toy store only.

13. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I wouldn't be blaming TRU for shelfwarmers. They also got Animated Arcee and Cybertron Ratchet as exclusives and, though I don't know if it's the case with all other TRUs, they're also currently warming shelves.

Even the BB vs. Soundwave 2-pack didn't move much and that wasn't an exclusive at all. It comes down to the consumer's tastes. It's not soley the retailer in question's fault.

14. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

If we want to talk Wal-Mart Exclusive Shelfwarmers, look no further than Masterpiece Skywarp. They marked that down by 50 percent and still had a hard time getting rid of the stock. You just never know what will sell. Look at some of their older exclusives like Hardhead and Skyfall. Those two shelfwarmed for a long time. Nobody wanted them on clearance either. Now look at the demand. Thanks to 3rd party kits, Hardhead and Skyfall are in a lot higher demand (Hardhead more so).

15. Kaymac

Arcee and Ratchet are nowhere to be found here. I have only seen one Arcee and two Ratchets. I guess my town and I am just cursed because I really frikkin' want to buy Arcee. Perhaps scalpers got to her! :( 

Shelfwarmers do vary, but we can agree on certain ones like Tuner Mudflap. Sometimes it comes down to bad distribution, or just a bad idea.

I only saw Masterpiece Skywarp at one Wal-Mart, in another town, and he never showed up in the usual town I go to. (Damn shame, I really wanted to buy him, especially if he was 50%!)
    Also, Hardhead and Skyfall never showed up here in Canada. We always get the shaft. (Except with Recon Ravage who's melting the shelves.)

16. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

From a US standpoint, the market has been inundated with Wal-Mart MP Skywarps. That was one Wal-Mart exclusive that did not go over well. One of my local WMs had about 5-7 of them at half off. There wasn't exactly a rush in the store to snatch up the Skywarps, even at that price.

So I think it's kind of hard to compare shelfwarming in the US to shelfwarming in Canada. Totally different animals. And as you said, Canada does get the shaft.

17. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Mass retail figures have to be produced in certain numbers to make the mold use cost-effective. There is no point in storing figures you can't use, and thus they end up on shelves, and most are eventually liquidated even at clearance prices. Its more efficient and profitable to overproduce and have a few shelfwarmers than to underproduce and not maximize potential revenues.

18. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Yeah, I echo things that have been said. It is IMPOSSIBLE to truly predict what will sell and what will sit on the pegs (I'm looking at you Tuner Mudflap).

It's just taste and preferences. It's as simple as that.

19. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So OK, Tuner Mudflap shelfwarmed.

What else could they have put out for the same cost to develop? It would have just been another redeco of an RotF Deluxe. And it probably would have shelfwarmed.

Frankly, we are in a period where the movie hype is low and there's no show. Anything would have shelfwarmed. When X is the least popular figure in the last widely released wave, X will shelfwarm, because they aren't going to throw them in a bonfire.

20. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    I think Hasbro may have vastly over-estimated the interest in Supreme Devvy. Either they produced wwwwway too many of them or the RRP is way too much. Every sale in my area sees more & more Supreme Devvys flood the shelves & even at discounted prices, They're still not being bought. Wonder why that is... :rolleyes: