Have Zone or Scramble City been subbed?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Kilowog, May 24, 2012.

1. Kilowog

Kilowog ORA ORA ORA

Ebay:
    Title says it all. Just curious as I've never seen them and wanna see them for myself after reading their tfwiki entries.

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I think Zone was included as a bonus on one of the UK 1986 movie DVD releases, subbed. Scramble City was included without the dialog track - so just a commentary track - on one of the US DVD releases. That's it for the official releases of these two.

There's old old bootlegs of both out there subbed as well, low res but watchable enough to know what is going on. The Scramble City one is notable for being awful with lines like "Did you get boggled, Optimus Prime?"

3. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i know zone at least has been subbed

4. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Wasnt Zone also included the the UK Boxset that includes Headmasters, Masterforce and Victory?

5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I'd love to unsub Zone. And then unanimate it.

6. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Yeah, they've been subbed. In Australia, Scramble City was released as an extra on the 2007 special edition of TF:TM and Zone was released as an extra on the Madman Victory set.

7. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    you know there is a thing called subtitles ?

8. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
  9. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    Madman dvds have them

10. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Eh, Zone was ok. Sure, its pacing was all over the place and there was no real resolution to its plot, but considering it was meant to be the pilot to a new show that got cancelled; I think it turned out better then what it could have been.

Now, Scramble City was complete garbage.

11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I see it kind of the opposite. Scramble City is crap, but at least it's an interesting disaster. Zone is just so bland. It's well animated, but everything else about it was soul-deadening.

I think whatever network executives were involved in not picking up Zone as a series did the entire world a huge favor in sparing us more Zone.

12. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

That's what "subbed" is short for. The OP is asking whether Scramble City and Zone have been subtitled. It stands to reason then, that Kilowog knows that something called subtitles exists.

13. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Neither has been subbed officially, no. Fansubs exist for both. Before there were nice, new online fansubs, there were dodgy bootleg subtitled VHS tapes that did the rounds. Because they could not secure the rights to official copies of the episodes for release on their DVDs, UK company Metrodome rather cheekily just used the bootleg sub versions, putting Zone in the complete "Takara Collection" boxset, and Scramble City on their remastered edition of the movie. Those are the versions Madman used.

Sony, meanwhile, was able to secure use of Scramble City's video for their remastered movie DVD, but not its audio.

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Scramble City ended on a stupid cliffhanger....legit it only existed to not fill in the gap but to promote combiners and bases and that's it.

Zone's Dai Atlas is a classier version of Bayformer Optimus Prime. He friggins murders all the Decepticons in 20 minutes.

15. KikBlava

KikBlava Well-Known Member

You can find Zone and Scramble City on youtube, but allow me to join in with the crowd of people bashing Zone and Scramble City. This'll be fun.

I do not understand why most people want Zone to be released on DVD with Headmasters, Masterforce and Victory. Zone is only one episode long and one episode isn't worth printing on DVD. To me, I call it the Japanese Transformers Trilogy because it ended with Victory, and nothing else. You're not missing anything when it comes to Zone. I also hate how they replace Star Saber with Dai Atlus as leader, for what reason was it again? Oh yeah, to sell toys.

But give me Zone over Scramble City anyday! Scramble city is the most effortless and soulless piece of Transformers media I've ever seen. It was clearly only made to sell toys. Now I know the American G1 cartoon did that but that also had story and characters. That and Scramble City is so poorly animated, especially when it comes to the combiners combining, they just skip to the result of combining. The only thing that Scramble City did right was introduce Ultra Magnus, Trypticon and Metroplex, other than that, lowest point of G1.

Now if I offended any Zone or Scramble City fans, well thats still just two people I've offended today.

16. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I'm assuming for the sake of completion and curiosity.

I've seen both and although they're both pretty dire I'm glad I experienced them at least once just so I know what people are talking about when they come up in threads such as this.

17. Kilowog

Kilowog ORA ORA ORA

Ebay:
    Hey, my 12 year old self friggin loved Armada :( 

But more often I'm finding myself going the Gundam Wing route of just not rewatching the show and going by my memories so that they don't get shattered :p 
    Yeah... thanks for the assist, I think I went crosseyed reading his post.

Does he execute anyone who was begging for mercy?
    Not going to lie, you've raised my interest in seeing them from 'curiosity' to 'tracking down mst3k rejects' level

So youtube eh.... I'll check em out when I get back home
    Yeah this is pretty much why I'm curious. For good or ill I wanna see them for myself.

18. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    here's what you missed:
    zone - they power up into base modes and defeat the sunbow cartoon combiner teams in 1 blast then the show becomes manga only optimus returns again and wins. and makes rodiums prime his betch.

scramble city. Japan's way of connecting season 2 and 3 with airing the movie until later. at very least you get to see some cool stuff go on but all in all a yawn.

19. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    I think it'd be a interesting project for IDW to make a Zone mini-series. Hell, work it into their own fiction somehow. Maybe have Violenjiger or whatever his name is be from the Dark Universe and have him reanimate bots that are dead in the IDWverse instead of the specific ones used in the original (it's not like their characters played any role that couldn't be subsituted out).

My major issue with Zone is that it's a full-on Japanese super robot series -the heroes are super-powerful perfect honorable heros of justice while the bad guys are chaotic evil, forgetable, no characterization, and killed off without batting an eye.

You could see that trend forming if you look at the differences in G1/Headmasters to Masterforce to Victory. But Victory had better characters. The Brainmasters and such could be beat, and the villians were excellent characters.

20. Mykamusprime

Mykamusprime Well-Known Member

I'm not sure (it's been a while) but I think there's a Transformers: Zone fan dub on YouTube