Have you ever wanted to stop, but keep getting pulled back?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by kronos, Dec 27, 2007.

1. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    Just as the title states. I can think of dozens of times where I wanted to stop bt cant seem too. I mean I start selling some of my collection just to stop because I like a certain piece. Its almost like an addiction to me really. Like right now, I wanna stop. But I am already making plans for Botcon. Its not a money issue. I always make sure my responsabilities are handled first. But I always find myself in the toy isle buying something if not a transformer. Should I just sell off everything and keep the pieces I really like? or just keep giving in? I am honestly confused on this. ugh! I hate turmoil!

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I'm in the process of getting rid of anything and everything I regret buying, junkers, incomplete figures that someone might like, overall bad figures, etc. It is tough, but worst comes to worst you have to buy it back later, right?

Start by selling off the stuff you're least attatched to first. Then seriously start pruning everything else (duplicates are a good place to start)

I thought I'd never be able to do it, but at this point, I've got a good 25% of everything I've accumulated up for grabs. Almost every new TF I've bought since August (new as in new to me) has either been with money made from my unwanted stuff or trades for my unwanted stuff.

3. tarheels

tarheels Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I quit one time all together back in the late 80's when I could not find a targetmaster Hotrod. I felt if I could not get the whole collection then why continue. So I skipped all of Genernation 2 & Machine Wars and almost all of Beast Wars and Beast Machines.

But, for some reason I started to get back into collecting Transformers when Robots in Disguise came out. During that line I only collected one of each to keep MISB. Then during Armada and beyond I started buying two of each figure one to open and one to keep MISB. But right now I am running out of room to keep buying two figures and if we decide to have a baby I know that my collection will be getting smaller.

4. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    I've thought about stopping. Space and Money are the biggest issues. So long as I can keep buying and shelfing transformers I'll keep doing so.

But one thing that really keeps me going is that I like toys but I can't fathom another toyline I'd be as interested in as hasbros form changing robots. They are far cooler than my old gundams. Who shall soon loose their shelf space for classics universe and allspark power.

5. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

i collect transformers and only transformers. all my transformers are very importenet to me. to get rid of any would leave a viod in me that could not be filled with anything but what i lost. im sick but im cool with it.

6. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Well, yeah, I pulled back when the armada figures came out, they were awful and the show was too, so it pushed me away, when I returned with the movie and saw many cool figures from armada, classics, alternators, energon, cybertron and unvierse that I missed out, I wish I didn't pull out.

Now I'll try to be a passive collector and not fall into any buying impulse I have.

7. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Friend! :D  I feel the same way. (Please forgive me for updating your quote.):wink: 

8. mykticon

mykticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am finding my self focusing more on my G1 collection right now, and the few Cybertron Figures I missed out on! With 2 little ones it gets kinda scary LOL They have TONS of toys, but I always find them trying to get into Daddy's Autobots! Damn I need to get some higher shelves!

9. Psychrome86

Psychrome86 Well-Known Member

this would make more sense to me if we were talking about drugs and drug paraphernalia. I suppose we could classify anything as a drug, even a couch and tv. I swear, it's the same type of conversation my buddies and I used to have. drugs seem to fill the void that plagues almost everyone's lives. it's something to take up time and makes things seem different and possibly better.

it used to blow my mind when i found people my age that didn't smoke pot and wouldn't smoke pot. it blew my mind a long time ago when i found someone that didn't watch tv at all. i don't watch tv aside from the discovery and history channels and even that doesn't satisfy my thirst to be active. i have video games too and ofcourse it blows my mind to find people who hate them. likewise with transformers; someone saying they don't like them or never got into them is kind of strange to some people.

all i can really say to you guys is there is no way to just stop flat out, you have to find something to replace it. or just do more of what takes up your time. i know some guys who stopped doing drugs and took up being alcoholics. some managed to find a decent job and different people to hang out with. one even found a girl who he gave up all his vices for. personally, i got a decent job and bought an old muscle car to spend my time on.

you must also ask yourself, "why stop? do i want to? why do i want to? am i afraid of what people think of me? do i need to? is it ruining my life? am i just bored and want to find something else? have i burned out and just need some space and time to build up my tolerance so i'll enjoy it again?"

10. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

Transformer Collectors Anonymous.

We should make that.

I just started collecting months ago, and it seems I'll have times where I won't buy a toy and I'll literally be dying to get a TF fix. I'M ADDICTED.

11. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    My wife says that it's turning into a $500 dollar per month habit this year due to all the movie stuff...ouch!

12. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Yeah, I'm there. I'm just about finished. All that's left now is a few Macross items (I lump Macross and TF together as a hobby) and then to sell off what I don't want. I've been doing that in spurts, off and on for the past year or so, but it's just about that time to really let it all go. I'm just not having the same fun as I used to...

When I'm done, I'll only have maybe 35-40 figures in my collection. I'll be completely happy with it, too. There's a few others I *may* pick up along the way, but only with trades or if I get VERY good deals.

13. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

I've gone through this many times. Recently though, I haven't had urges to buy anything. I think at some point, you just get this feeling that you are done. It's not a forced feeling or anything like that. For me, I always said that when I don't get that joy or satisfaction anymore, it means I'm done. Life is ever changing, and I've gotten to a point where I don't feel the need to really collect the toys anymore. I mean, I'll still watch sequels and new cartoons, but toywise I think I'm more or less done. Maybe an occasional classics or masterpiece figure, but otherwise, I'm very content with what I have and its time to move on from TF collecting.

14. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    For me it's not really a question of trying to stop or slow down, its about buying what I want and not buying what I don't want or need. Back in the day I was a hardcore MISB completest type but realized it wasint bringing much satisfaction to the hobby, which is why now I've really weeded out and sold off all the stuff I never really wanted and sticking with the stuff I want. This has also dictated my more recent TF buying habits were I pick up what I want and leave the rest on the shelve. If I happen to slow down or speed up my spending habits it will be more a question of how good a product is out there.

15. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

I've tried to stop. and it works for a while. but then i find myself going to eBay and trying to get everything i missed. At this point its become a sick compulsion.

16. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    I don't feel the need to stop.

17. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

Have a few g1 and g2 from when I was a kid, but Beast Wars was when I hit it big. I think I now have almost all of the retail releases from it minus a few from the first season(assortment). Armada....no, i skipped it and R.I.D. I regret missing all but prime/magnus, some cool ones in there. But I got most up until the movie, then the movie been trying to find em, tougher for me as well cause most I have to buy in twos for my son as well(startin him young :)  ). But now i got a gift card, I'm going huntin.

Wife wonders where we'll put em, oh well, she always states she don't have to worry about me cheating, I'll always either be hunting a transformer or playing a video game....is that sad? :p 

18. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

I think it depends on each personality. I am just fine buying the figures I really want. Sometimes I get one I dont like as much and I trade it here or sell it and move on. I was never a complete line collector or a MISB collector. I buy em to display em and sometimes play with em.

19. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Like debesh and soundwave said, I like to get the couple few that appeals to me. Im not out here to buy evrything, but ones that spark interest in me. So if one doesn't make my grade, I don't feel bad about not gettin' it. But feel kinda better cause I did'nt. Like now Im taking a break to concentrate on 25th Joes. Animated doesn't appeal to me much but it won't twist my view on da plastic crack mang!

In my belief, to each there own. Theres a whole world out there waiting to be collected or learnt, so get in where you fit in! So I don't think I'd be doing myself or you good justice if I try to succomb you back into "GET EVERYTHING" I think I'd be doing a better service if I said, "hey man, do what you like to do!" And if selling those oddballs makes ya happy then do it! If passing on a couple makes ya happy..then do eeeet. But don't be angry that you did it later! Just know you did it for a reason, and whatev that reason was at that time made sense you, and ultimately made you a better person, Im happy fer ya.

20. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

I've never spent more than 200 bucks a month for a TF, and I've spent that much only twice (reissue Predaking and MP-4); most of the time, it stays at $100 or less...and often, I don't buy anything at all. As of right now, the only TF I even desire buying is the upcoming reissue Sky Lynx...and maybe I should get that 6-inch Titanium Scourge which I wanted but got screwed over on ebay. And that KO Deszaras model kit which I want to try painting into show-accurate colors.

I prefer collecting DVDs, more fun in the long run...hey, that rhymed! I'm totally gonna be a rap artist now.