Have you ever wanted to act?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wayne Kerr, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Wayne Kerr

Wayne Kerr Member

Well, have ya?

for me the answer is simple, hell yeah!
    But not for the reason most theater and small time actors act for, "the passion of acting". Nah, I'd do it for the fame, wealth, and the Swedish models. But I doubt I'll ever become an actor, mainly because you can get all those things by becoming a Pro Snowboarder. I guess it just all matters on which is more fun, heh.

Anyways, enough of me rambling.... have you guys ever wanted to become an actor/tress?

2. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    Swedish models are hot.

3. Wayne Kerr

Wayne Kerr Member

Oh my gosh, aren't they? They're like Angels sent from Heaven to Earth just to look hot.

4. Prowl_Delta_31

News Credits:
    I think they are more fun than acting or snowboarding.

5. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I just want to be famous so I can party with Vince Vaughn. The guy always looks like he just got off a five day long bender, so you know the party's gotta be insane.

6. Prowl_Delta_31

News Credits:
    I would rather party with Matthew McConaughey or Kevin Smith.

7. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

For the same reasons, I'd wanna party with Vince when I'm feeling on top of shit, and Nick Nolte when life isn't going so well. And Gary Busey when I feel like I'm losing my mind.

8. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Also, I act all the time. I act like I care, I act like I believe, I act like I'm interested. I just don't get paid for it.

9. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I act like an ass sometimes.

That said, I did take some acting classes wayyyy back in the day. Just for fun. It was alright. If you're good at it it would be cool to do for a living I guess.

10. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    Its a fantasy that's played constantly in my mind, but its never been something I wanted to try out for real. I am far too camera shy and I cannot stop staring at the camera when its focused on me (I just... stare... like an idiot), its embarassing. Plus, I wouldn't want the life style, I like my personal life personal.

11. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I don't "want" to act. It's in my blood. I just enjoy entertaining people, and thankfully people seem to find me entertaining or I wouldn't keep getting work as an actor.

I've got quite a bit of stage credit on my resume, and some on-camera work as well. I had no formal acting training at all until about two years ago, and I'm in my late 30's and I've been working mostly part-time as an actor/singer/entertainer since the late 90's.

And if all goes well, by the end of this week it's looking very promising that I'll be able to go full-time as an actor.

12. DMK

DMK Flame-Haired Raptor

Like acting, hate working off a script. Always wanted to be a homocide victim in Law and Order. (True story - at my grandmother Estelle's wake in '02, my uncle Joe introduces a friend of his who happens to be the casting director of L&O. My father doesn't miss a beat, "Law and Order? Well hey, if you need a corpse-!" :lol  Might sound horrible, but my grandma would have been howling with laughter; morbidity runs in the family.)

13. MetroPlex

MetroPlex Pyroz Playground

I was actually just coming here now to post a thread about this.

I finally got up enough courage to sign up with a talent agency, and they called me back!
    So tomorrow (or really today in about 16 hours) I have an appointment for an evaluation at an actors studio. It's gonna be at 7pm and it's under 20 minutes away from my house.

I'm freaking out already though. Cause I mean it's one thing to act in front of friends, or residents at the condo I valet at. And as for the residents, it's just to cheer them up. You know?

Cause every day when I go to work, even if I'm pissed off, as soon as I get there and 15 minutes pass, it doesn't matter how I was feeling before, that shitty mood goes away. And I just start talking to people, cracking jokes that are appropriate for each person, laughing and making them laugh, and it feels so good. I really cheer them up. And they thank me for it.

It's just that so many people have said that I should be an actor, and not just because of that, but I always wanted to be an actor, but thought I was being stupid. But then all these people - young, old, black, white, doesn't matter, kept telling me I should try to go for it.
    Probably mostly comedy, but I just feel it. It's weird.

I know I'm on this earth for a reason. And it's either music or comedy. ;]

Anyway, wish me luck for tomorrow! I'll need it!

14. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

Good luck man!

Yeah, I do Drama and I do well.

But having a freakin' lisp ruins any chances of fame...

15. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yes!

Wait, no. Simple probability shows that my time is better invested on more realistic and obtainable things - such as trying to win the lottery. Every time I meet someone that's been to drama school or is trying to get into acting I end up face-palming so hard I break my nose. If I had to be in the 'biz (yeah, I'm down with lingo) I would prefer to be on the writing side of things. Based off observations I'd say maybe 70 - 80% of members here are aspiring actors/writers/directors/voice actors. I can't wait until I go to Botcon so I can attend the voice actors panel and ask about how I can get into the industry.

16. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I don't want to act, I just want the money it brings in if you're popular and successful. I think deep down we all want financial freedom and a little popularity. Some more than others.

17. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Is your nose all crooked like an old-timey pugilist?

(I just wanted to type "old-timey pugilist")

18. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    My major was going to be theater but I changed my mind my senior year. In highschool, I was in three school plays and went to alot of casting calls. I went to the casting calls for Ace Ventura 2, the Newton boys, All the pretty horses and the Alamo was my last one. They actually called me back for the Alamo but I was unable to make since I would have to have arranged my own living arrangements during the shoot and the money they were paying was not going to cover room and board for me.

19. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Yes, I have wanted to be an actress at one point in my life... that was in junior high, though. I would have no luck in becoming one right now... I'm not a very attractive person, so it would be doubtful if I could land a decent role. Voice acting, maybe... I'm good with that. But truly acting in live-action? Nope...

20. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Luck wished!

Already sent the advice you asked for via PM. I've had a few talent agency auditions/evaluations myself and have plenty of experience to speak from, so I don't mind answering questions. And if I don't know the answer, I'll find someone "in the know" who does.

And something I neglected to mention via PM is if you are picked up for representation, don't sit back and wait on an agent to find you auditions. Most of the work I get I book on my own, and I get to pocket 100% of the check too without having to pay a percentage to any of my agents.

The internet is THE best tool for finding local auditions. I live in a huge city that has regular auditions for stuff available, and there are about 3-5 sites I check regularly for casting notices and open call auditions.

And believe it or not, even the Craigslist.org "Talent" and "TV/Film/Video Jobs" categories for your local area can be a good source for audition notices. Now, granted, finding a legitimate gig on Craigslist is like searching for gold in the sewer--most of the time it's literally crap, and sometimes it's fool's gold, but every now and then you'll find a little nugget that pays off. I've booked three paying gigs through Craigslist in the last year, and one of them is with a company that supplies talent for kids parties, live venues and corporate events and I book regular work through them. Not even two weeks ago, they got me a gig as a Frank Sinatra impersonator for like a singing telegram gig for a couple's anniversary. I sang 1 3-minute song and got paid over three figures in cash. That's danged good money for something that took very little of my time.

Best of luck to you, MetroPlex. As they say, "break a leg" (even though it's a stupid, non-helpful thing to say).