Have You Ever Sold Something From Your Collection To Make Ends Meet?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, May 19, 2011.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    I don't want to get into personal details but, yesterday I had to make the decision to sell my grail to make ends meet for my family.

Needless to say, It was an extremely difficult, heartbreaking, and gut-wrenching decision. I've been trying everything I can to make myself feel better but, this one is going to take a LONG while to get over. While I'm thankful that it's there to sell, the fact that I have to sell is devastating to say the very least.

So just like the thread title says, have you ever had to sell all or a part of your collection to make ends meet?

Personal details are at your discretion.

2. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I am sorry to hear that you have to sell your grail :(  If that really is the case, when the financial situation improves hopefully you can acquire another one.

I haven't sold TFs or toys to make ends meet, the closest I did was sold off a few toys (including newly acquired HA Mudflap) to pay an emergency vet bill. When I was younger and on my own, I had to sell many of my books I had treasured for years to buy food. I still remember how bitter I was.

3. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

I almost sold my reissue Predaking (the old one, not the 2010 one) when my mom's laptop broke three years ago and I was stuck without an even remotely decent computer. Fortunately, it turned out to be unnecessary so I still have him.

Also, you didn't specify what your grail was.

4. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Oh my yes. Me and my girflriend have recently split up so I'm selling loads of stuff to make enough money to move out. My minty MIB Fort Max is now gone, and I have Scorponok on eBay right now. Also trying to shift my Masterpieces and whatever else I can get my hands on.

My priorities have totally changed with regard to my collection in the last couple of weeks. So far I'm making a few quid to keep my head above water but I just fear the impending doom of having to sell off my classics and Beast Wars stuff. :redface2: 

5. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Way more times than I would have liked unfortunatley

6. s10blazed

s10blazed Duly appointed...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Luckily, times are not hard enough that I've resorted to selling off any of my collection. Although, shortly after my wife quit her job and we dwindled away our savings, I decided to sell my totally custom pickup truck (that my username is based from). It wasn't entirely a monetary decision since I put less than 250 miles on it in the last 3 years. It was just the most opportune time to sell it while it was still worth something and we certainly were happy to have that extra income for some breathing room. I know this is about selling off TF's, but that truck meant more to me than any TF I own since I built it with my own 2 hands.

Attached Files:

7. Shockwave-the-Magnificent

Shockwave-the-Magnificent Plus-size Class

Just had to sell my MP Megatron the other day. Before that (few weeks ago), I sold my 1988-1993 WWF eagle wing world title replica - signed by Triple H. And yes, I'm bitter about it. Having a lazy ass wife who won't pull her weight in a marriage and who hasn't worked since September of last year is wearing me thin. I think I'm about done with this marriage. Money isn't the only issue, only the icing on the cake.

Hey, personal issues WERE at our discretion. Guess I just needed to vent.

8. Chaddicus

Chaddicus Don't call me Shirley

2004: Sold my entire G1 and Altertantors collection for a mere 1200.00 on ebay due to needing money. Collection would have sold well over that individually, but we needed the money.

2009 started getting back into the collecting game with ROTF and now, my collection is looking really fat and creepy depending on who's point of view. I love this culture

9. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Somewhat. I've never been put in a position to sell everything off, but some circumstances (such as the holidays) have forced me to evaluate my collection and sell off what I don't want. It's narrowed my focus down to certain lines (like Classics)...cutting the fat if you will.

10. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    I've been selling off my collection for a while. I wasn't in a bad situation--It just helped a lot with a down payment on a house, and I don't have a ton of room for them in my new place. Sometimes you gotta put life and family before toys.

11. Scorpion

Scorpion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorta...I sold Masterpiece Optimus Prime and Starscream last year near Christmas to give my son a really good Christmas. I sold ROTF Bruticus to help pay for an e-reader for my wife...

12. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I sold a few things recently to help cover a downpayment as well.

I think the only time I had to sell toys was when I sold an almost complete Alternators collection (rumble & ravage werent out yet and i didnt have nemesis prime then) for over 1000. This was back when they were really hot here and on the boards. It helped me set aside a bit of a cushion and cover a rent payment.

13. HollyW00d

HollyW00d Collecting Freak

I wasn't forced to, but I sold a decent amount of my collection for a down payment on my house. I noticed the trend of classics potentially taking over for the older brick style G1 figures and sold them all without too much regret. Now I have most of them in better designs anyway.

I had probably 60% of the G1 line, a lot with boxes. Probably got around $10,000 for them. Also sold all of my Mcfarlane movie figures and other various toys. Now Mcfarlane figures are dated and we have Hot Toys and Fansproject like companies making quality stuff so I don't regret getting rid of them.

14. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Summer just out of college, Obliterators, Trakons, Lightformers and Illuminators (laser rods to some of you) had to go while i was looking for a job.

A full set of working, non-crumbled-into-sub-atomic-particles Laser Rods was no mean feat even then.

Ah, sorry to hear.

15. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Nothing TF related but I have sold off(comic books) a couple of Golden-Age Caps(Captain America's) and some Atom-Age Subbys(Sub-Mariners) to make ends meet. I sold them for a nice profit but I wish I still had them now just because they are so extremely rare(i.e. I'll never find them again).

16. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    I've sold quite a few toys to keep my bank account afloat. Looks like I may have to do it again. :( 

17. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    I've paid the rent with my little "plastic savings account" many many times. It hurt the first few times for sure, but eventually it liberated me from the insatiable need to "own everything" and put me where I am now, a speciality-collector with particular tastes and particular "rules" which makes the whole game a lot more fun.

Luckily I got into the game early on enough that I had bought before the hype-inspired price spike on all things vintage, and got more than double or triple on many of my better pieces like Liokaiser, Metalhawk, Overlord, Victorysabre, etc...

D/L