Have you ever been so burnt out on a character?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Foster, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    By the title I mean so burned out that you just can't get excited for any more versions of that character? I know the upcoming Animated Bumblebee, Starscream, Grimlock and Optimus Prime toys look great and ordinarily I'd be excited to pick them up. But I'm feeling extremely MEH about them. I know it's burnout from Classics, the movie and, with Prime especially, years of other incarnations in the making.

I don't feel like skipping out on the rest of Animated. In fact, I'm extremely eager to pick up Ratchet, Blitzwing and the other Dinobots. I think it's because these characters aren't appearing in every SINGLE line of Transformers. Or if they do, they are variations that seem like distinct characters, like movie Ratchet vs. Animated Ratchet. Or Alternators Prowl vs. Animated Prowl.

And I think that's why I'm a lot more excited about Universe. I mean, it's been a long time since I could find the likes of Powerglide, Octane or Onslaught on shelves. A Galvatron that's not a Megatron repaint or a PVC? Sign me the hell up! A Botcon Optimus Prime, a repaint of... Optimus Prime? Botcon Starscream, repainting... yes, Starscream? I gotta say, that's underwhelming.

2. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

Well, to sum up my feelings on this subject...Movie Bumblebee is a whore.

3. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Gotta say, I kinda know what you mean. Much as Bumblebee's a cool and understandably popu8lar character, I can't help thinking there have been far too many versions of him lately - although admittedly he was notably absent for about 15 years, between G2 and Classics. He's certainly making up for it now.
    Obviously Prime and Megs are always going to be there, it's like a tradition, or an old charter, or something. To be honest, though, there aren't many characters about nowadays who are just everywhere. Starscream's the only other one, and he's got the same sort of history as Bumblebee.

I've got to agree that I'm fairly underwhelmed by the Botcon redecos, though - with the possible exception of Jazz, there doesn't seem to be quite as much thought behind the current crop.

4. bouncing boy77

bouncing boy77 Syntax Error

i've been burnt-out as far as movie concept bb goes.

5. butz

butz slippery when wet

Normally I feel this way, but not so much with Animated for some reason. Maybe because the style is so crazy different that everything feels fresh? Movie and Classics didn't bother me much either; Movie designs were so different from the norm, and Classics just kinda felt like making better/newer versions of the G1 figures to me. AEC though, I got really sick of seeing another truck Prime, another Starscream, another yellow car Hotshot (yeah, yeah, Cyb version was light blue) with each new series.
    I'm sure once Animated has been out for a while I'll start getting sick of seeing the 12th different version of red-truck Optimus Prime (getting there before the line is even officially released with deluxe/cyb Prime, 2-pack, voyager, Roll Out, and Activator...)

6. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I've pretty much passed over Movie Bumblebee .. and I collect Bumblebee stuff. Too many things to get, and none are really that great.

I'm not really burnt out on any one character really. I think if they just made one version of each character in a given line... we wouldn't have to suffer :( 

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I think it's just the whole point of re-using names and faces (not literal faces) despite making them new characters. (Except TF:A Starscream, who is basically G1 Starscream done right, but G1 Starscream hasn't really been done since... G1 Starscream. Cyb Starscream came close, but far too ambitious and groany-DBZ-lightshow-giant to be too close)

Movie Bumblebee was milked till the teats fell off, and I agree, his character is a little burnt out for me. But I still like him, and just chose not to buy the mountains of stuff with his rounded face on it.

The problem is, you know the second Hasbro removes Starscream, Prime and Megatron, no one will like Transformers because we're at that point where Transformers is those characters. The best thing to do is just see the characters for who they are and not retreads.

8. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:
    I'm burnt out on Unicron! A/E (repaint) a deluxe and battle damaged head are enough for me for a while...

But I wouldn't be suprised if we get another Unicron repaint in the Universe line, along with a Primus Repaint.

9. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I made a thread about the same basic idea a while back. I totally agree, it's hard justifying purchasing figures when it's more than like the third or forth iteration of that character.

here's the old post:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=164358

10. nintendofreakgc

nintendofreakgc Bumblebee fan

Strangely, I'm not feeling burnt out on Bumblebee, in spite of the ridiculous amount of Bumblebee stuff I have from the movie. Oh well, I guess I'm just obsessed.

Well, that and I haven't bought everything Bumblebee related yet.

11. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    yes, but not with TFs, like, with batman and wolverine.

12. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't see how you can be burnt out on Grimlock *L* he's had how many toys?

13. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    grimlocks had quite a few toys actually, plus all those comic appearance.

g1
    pretender
    AM
    g2
    BW
    RID
    alt
    scf
    ko wst
    energon
    classics

i dont think i got em all even.

14. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    RID grimlock isn't a dino, nor does he have any relation to the other Grimlocks, though. the ko wst isn't a sanctioned TF. Really in the last 5 years you've had 3 grimlocks. the alt, the energon(rare), and the classics ones. that's not exactly a wear-you-out pace if you ask me. Prowl's had far more releases than that *L*.

15. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    ughhh... another bublebee? has been my general response here lately, after being abscent for so long they really have made up for lost time with the movie line.

animated grimlock/dinobots may be the only ones i pick up from the line, i still gots lots of dino-love.

16. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    AMEN.

the only problem i have with any toy line in general is the imbalance of good vs evil- i.e., there's 90 versions of batman, but only like 4 villains.

so when TFs get to where there are 10 versions of each autobot and you can't find a decepticon anywhere, that is when i will feel burned out on any of them.

but really, did we need the P.O.S. camaro and then the concept camaro versions of BB?
    the few kids i do know looked at the POS camaro and didn't believe we had cars that crappy in real life.

17. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    If the toy is fun and good I don't see an issue there.

I also felt the same way, but now where I have the Animated toys in hand boy I'm glad I didn't write them off. They are so nicely done and have great transformations you sometimes just can't figure out without some kind of guidance. I really love my figure's and it's very hard to pick a favorite among the ones I have, but character wise I simply adore Starscream and Bulkhead.
    Don't cheat yourself and miss out on these... they are actually more fun than the Movie figures IMO.

18. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I understand the sentiment about Bumblebee. Since the movie he's all over the place, and the first Transformers name kids think of is Bumblebee? :lol  It's great that the he's so popular, I know, I know. But it feels so sudden.

I'm looking forward to all animated toys, though, as butz said they are all so different :) 

19. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am sooo sick of Starscream and the other jets. There are lots of other Decepticons to choose from. I love them, but enough is enough, I want a freaking updated Menasaur and Devastator (not the crappy repaint) already.