Have you accepted the movie continuity?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Recall, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I have to commend you for actually making me go back and search through the relevant discussion threads. Turns out, all I did was say that the 'leaked script' was better than the previous two, which isn't saying very much considering the quality of its predecessors.

You think it was the time travel and G1 altmodes that made me like it?

You know what they say about 'assume'?

It makes an ass out of you, period.

2. Kungfu Dinobot

Kungfu Dinobot Well-Known Member

Ah well, maybe if you explained why you liked it better, I wouldn't make stupid assumptions.

3. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    A certain army like to say, "assumptions are the mother of all fuck ups". So true.

4. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If i didn't I wouldn't be here.

5. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I've accepted it, yes; as a separate continuity with tips of the hat to what has come before.

6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Perhaps people expect G1 type things out of the movies because other franchises have sort of spoiled us on the nostalgia factor.

I know with people above a certain age when the first Spiderman movie came out the thing they seemed to talk about the most was how they put the old Spiderman cartoon theme song into the movie.

7. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

I accepted, and became a fan, the first day I saw the previews of the first movie.

8. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    What do you mean by "Acceptance"?

I never had any rejection to any lines. There are lines that are worse. There are lines that are better.

9. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like most incarnations of Transformers except the movie. I just don't like anything about it. The story, the visual style, it's all the worst that Transformers has to offer IMHO. I largely ignore it. Variety is a great strength of the Transformers franchise. Take what you like, leave what you don't.

10. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

To me, the movie-verse is G1, but G1 in a parallel dimension. Therefore both continuities can follow the same cues, such as charcater names, plot points, alt modes etc but do them with their own flavour.

I don't regard them as exactly the same thing but they are kinda. And not as well.

Ah heck, I like 'em both so whatever! :D 

11. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I 110% accept it. It's not meant to be "Transformers Generation 1: The Live Action Movie". It's it's own thing. Because of this, no one should be getting pissed when a certain character doesn't look or act like their G1 counterpart. I mean yeah, if it's a trait that the character has in every continuity, then I can see why you'd be offput, but when people complain about how Ironhide isn't red and voiced by Peter Cullen or how Sideswipe isn't a Ferrari with a shoulder missile I'm left wondering if this fandom really can't accept change.

I mean it's the franchise's entire gimmick!

12. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Do I accept it? Yes.

I still would have prefered the Ark/Nemisis crash landing on Earth to start the story off though.

13. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I accept that the movie is it's own continuity -but I don't think there's anything wrong with thinking established characters should have certain traits no matter the story or media.

I expect the same thing of Transformers: Prime on Friday.

14. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    The only thing I can accept is that it's its own continuity. Other than that, I try to ignore the movie series.

15. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    TBH I care not for the movie versions. they're watchable as films but they don't have the same rewatch value as the cartoons do.

I'll see the third one but don't really care about them.

16. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    love them, it got me back into transformers, after Beast Wars I felt betrayed when we got all the cybertron, energon crap, armada crap, (I like most of the Cybertron stuff forget the last 2)

17. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I accept they're out there. I've seen them and I've bought some of the toys. But I'm looking forwards to when things move away from them and it's just part of what's come and gone and not the main thing of the TF franchise.

18. knightmare6

knightmare6 Reflector In Disguise

Ebay:
    I accept them in their own continuity, just as I have for every other media incarnation in their own. The whole franchise of "Transformers" is about changes, it's part of the freakin' name!

19. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I don't think it's unreasonable for people to expect certain things out of established fictional character.

With Battlestar Galactica Starbuck might have been a woman but she had all the old Starbuck qualities of smoked, drank, fracked and was a top Viper pilot. While there were new elements to the character there were still enough elements say hey it's Starbuck from the Battlestar Galactica.

With League of Extraordinary Gentlemen I think fans were rightfully disappointed that the same character names were used but they were pretty much new characters instead of the comic book characters.

Sure some things can be people being too picky like saying Ironhide has to be a red van from the 1980's. I'm not sure that you have to kill all the nostalgia though just because you aren't doing a total nostalgia film. Other brands seem to find that nice mix of old and new.

20. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I think Transformers differs because there have been so many different versions of the story that it can reference more then JUST G1. Like I said, I'm all for people expecting a certain trait or design que being used for a character, but when people start wanting them to be an exact replica of what the looked, sounded and acted like in 1984 that's where I draw the line.