Have Transformers officially jumped the shark?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Shaun_C, Jun 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Fitch

Darth Fitch Herald of Golobulus

I think it's a fair question, and a personal one. Typically "Jump The Shark" refers to a specific tv show, but I think Shaun_C's question is really asking is the franchise past the point of no return. Again it's a personal opinion. Some think it jumped at the movie, some with Beast Machines etc. Shaun_C doesn't need to be blasted for a fair question.

For me, yes Tranformers was finished at Armada when it ceased being entertaining FOR ME, and the toys were no longer compelling ... again FOR ME.

2. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Let me explain it simply!

America was founded by Puritan beliefs

The Puritans were uptight about sexuality

So today, instead of being focused on things like violence we are caught up on sex which is a natural thing

The Japanese however really don't have a religion that encompases them all

To the Japanese violence is so much worse then sexuality which is evident in the fact it's so prominant in their entertainment yet you don't see them lighting the torch and pitch fork

Seriously, it's a whole different culture than ours and at least try to understand that before you round up a mob.

Now, while Marissa is in sexual suggestive poses, she is not nude or indecently exposed

She is simply wearing a bikini swimsuit which is evident in the fact that she has a surfboard

Yes, the artist style does look pedophilish because you honestly cannot tell how old she is

She could be anywhere from 12-21 to older for all we know

It's just a simple kiss, which is clearly based off of the story of the Princess and the Frog Prince

I really can't see why it's that bad

Sure it's not American, but you don't see Hasbro marketing this line to us

So seriously, get over it! If you don't like the Marissa figure just throw it away when you buy Binaltech Convoy simple as that! Or make a bit of your money back, and resell the figure to someone who might want it.

You all act like the Kiss line is a shark in sheeps clothing

Have we seen anything that DIRECTLY links this line with underage pedophilia?

Convoy is a machine he's not about to do anything sexual to this girl. Marissa, as previously stated, is clothed in nothing worse than you'd probably see at the beach this time of year; I've seen worse!

So please take a moment, and think about things from a cultural view point. You can't judge Japanese products by the same American point of view. They are not us, even though at times they wish to emulate us. They don't have this whole uptight society about sexuality, and they condemn violence; which makes a lot more sense. As opposed to our American culture that doesn't mind a game like Grand Theft Auto which is inherently violent, but you add another dash of sexuality and it becomes taboo.

Sex is a natural thing of being a living creature! You don't see animals being so uptight about it, and guess what in the end humans are nothing but animals. We are no better, and sometimes I wonder that we just might be worse.

3. UltraPrime

UltraPrime Lord of Macragge

Well said Omega Supreme-1

4. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow... you need help, dude...

5. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:

This is the kind of thing that will get this thread locked, but I feel compelled.

I do agree with your statement that other cultures have different point of views on what is inherently too sexual and by all account the Japanese certainly have different ideas what is appropriate for them, but that being said, should we accept a cultures point of view, just because it is their point of view? Or should we be able to have an opinion as to if this is appropriate for the toy line that we obviously all love.

My thoughts are that a half naked teenager is not require to sell a decent toy. (And I don’t buy the fact that she maybe 21 for all we know, please!?!)

In all cases exploiting teenage girls for anything in any country is inappropriate, nuff said.

And your point about sex is invalid to this thread. Sure sex is great, nobody is arguing it, but sexual images of young girls is where the line should be drawn. It is really just perpetuating the old stigma that girls are good for one thing….

6. Omega Supreme-1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No not really...I honestly condemn humanity...we have no balance with nature like every other species of this planet...we propegate war, and focus everything on creating weapons to destroy one another...we think animals are below us, and treat them as inferior just because they don't possess the same vocal capability as we do...so what we can create technology? In the end we are all just really advance mammals, who have been caught up too much with our own pride...And in the end do you know what's going to happen? Humanity is going to destroy this planet, and destroy each other with our ways. We don't need to worry about the sun going out or another comet impacting our world...at the rate we are going we will annihilate ourselves...do you guys realize how short the run of man has been? Do you guys realize how fast we have destroyed this beautiful world? And at the rate we consume and destroy like a parasite there won't be a world to support us.

7. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

I had a cheeseburger for lunch. Twas delicious.

8. Autobus Prime

Well, I was double posting, ugh, so now I need a new thought.

You might want to tone down the verbiage, OS-1, because that tends to get threads canned...

And another thing, which I can't answer, not being Japanese: aren't the Japanese, contrary to some Western opinion, actually *more* puritanical about sex, as a culture, insofar as a culture can have such qualities?

9. Omega Supreme-1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good for you? I don't have problem with eating meat o_O  It's only natural being omniverous to eat meat...

10. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:

Are we animals? Yes. Does that give us an excuse to act like animals with no morals or boundaries? No.

Give your head a shake…

If you really think that a transformers fan site is the best place to argue that Human kind is the down fall of the planet, you are wrong. Perhaps you should try to use the internet and computers that the monkeys developed to discuss how crappy we all are, oh wait…

11. Autobus Prime

OS-1:

Ah. I made an assumption based on your previous statement. I suppose that makes me a quadruped, as assumptions will.

12. Omega Supreme-1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You know you guys can rag on me all you want but i'm not here for a popularity contest. I plan on sticking around for a long time to come, and i've yet to do anything ban worthy. Though I think it's wonderful that my fellow message boarders can't keep up a intellectual conversation without taking direct pot shots at me. You guys really don't know me, except for fellow message boarder Primevil and he'd tell you i'm not a jerk in real life. I respect everyone's opinion, and just to set the record straight.

I am not buying this figure, I had no intention to ever buy a Binaltech figure even before they started including female figures. To be honest though I don't see this as taking advantage of anyone. It's a product made up by a designer, and Marissa is cute design though I could really go without the sexual suggestive posing. Just because I like the design doesn't mean i'm some depraved lolicon or pedo. It's well sculpted and the character design on it's own is cute. Though as I said before I would perfer her to not be in such posing.

I also do not condone pedophilia, or lolicon. I'm not here to say that those kinds of things are all right or appropriate. This figure does have suggestive posing, which I don't care for, but she's not actually doing anything sexual herself. I don't think there is a need to be so up in arms about a tiny little plastic figure. It's certainly not the end of the world.

13. Autobus Prime

OS-1:

Well, to be fair, the pose of the PVC figure is contains more 'embarassed modesty' than sexual suggestion* It's more the artwork on their web site that provoked discussion like this. And I wasn't trying to accuse you of doing anything ban-worthy, but given the recent history of threads about TF-Kiss I figured caution was in order.

Of course, the funny part of all this (which has probably been pointed out already) is that their first choice for a Kissbot was the one whose standard
    face has absolutely no lips. :) 

*but it's still absurd, yadda yadda yadda

14. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Never thought you were a jerk...

And I guess the intellectual issue here is weather it is ok to market toys that contain highly suggestive sexual content. I think your argument that this type of behavior is acceptable because morals are man made and for that we can not be held to them, is really weak.

Morals, religious or other wise are required to live in a society and with out them we would be killing, fighting screwing anyone and anything. Not all morals are for all societies, but for the most part they are the same thing: blue prints for living in a peaceful society.

Animals have no morals or values, only a natural instinct. Sometimes it is a good thing, but at other times it seams brutal.

On another note, we are all here (on tfw) for one reason or another and is never my intention to insult another member, if I have done this, my apologies.... :confused2 

15. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Political discussion is discouraged on these boards. Just a heads up.

16. Darth Fitch

Darth Fitch Herald of Golobulus

I thought F-bombs were discouraged too. :confused2 

17. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You know what.
    A thread similar to this was locked recently, so this one is going bye-bye as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.