Have Transformers officially jumped the shark?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Shaun_C, Jun 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

I was just looking at pics of that Kiss Players Convoy thread in the News section(I know that's somewhat old news)

I saw KA's sig and thought it was some fan creation.Not of pics taken from the Takara-Tomy website.

So now I'm wondering have Transformers "Jumped the shark"?

Of all the things to be connected with sex.I NEVER thought TFs would be one of them.I have to say that I hope this isn't a permanent trend.Because I don't think this'll work out in the franchise's favor.

I know that Kiss Players is considered "Fan service" but there are many animes that don't rely on cheap sex imagery to gain a faithful following.

I shudder to imagine what horrors the fanboy mind will imagine in terms of the eventual Kiss Players hentai that'll find it's way into the fandom somehow :redface2

I mean TFs are cool enough on their own,I really don't think that they need sex imagery to sell products.

And I consider a min female figure wearing apparantly no panties and having her legs spread open to be sex imagery.

I'm VERY disapointed in this line so far.I REALLY hope that if any more Kiss Players TFs are released that it won't be more of this tripe

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    In before lock!

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

One step closer to 15000 posts!

4. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I agree S_c but unfortunately it has been done and closed twice, but I think it should be discussed peacefully in general

5. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Really?I saw that 1 thread in N&R where's the 2nd one?

Can't see any reason why it's should be locked anyway.It's not that hard to mind one's tongue to be honest

6. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Is it really that big of a deal?

A Japanese toy company which has the rights to do whatever they please with their intellectual property created a line of toys with a very specific group of Japanese toy collectors in mind.

Sure, the premise of the line may seem freaky-deaky weird to us, and quite possibly even to some Japanese toy collectors, but I don't see the problem here.

If this is what it takes to keep Tomy-Takara interested in the Transformers line, then so be it.

7. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Geezuz people stop already! Different cultures, different outlook on things. They have curses in their cartoons and that is taboo in America. You can say South Park but that is not intended for children. But that is just an example

8. Crobot91

Crobot91 Daddy has lots of TFs...

News Credits:
    It jumped the shark when they created the Pretenders...

9. McBradders

Besides, its not like anyone's stopped collecting because of it. Just not that figure.

+2 to 15000

10. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    what exactly is jumping the shark!? I never heard anyone use this before

11. McBradders

On Happy Days, they had the Fonz jump a shark on Water Ski's. This is generally agreed by people as the turning point of the show in to being utter dross.

Hence the term "Jumping the Shark".

Google it, there's a great website out there dedicated soley to it!

12. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

Hasn't the term "Jumped the shark" Jumped the shark by now?

13. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Look, honestly...the moment I read that title question, I was astounded by the amount of retardry that would go into a statement like that.

People usually reserve "jump the shark" for a long-running television program or series that has had a CONSECUTIVE run. For example, I could say that Star Trek "jumped the shark" when they started doing Deep Space Nine.

How the fuck could Transformers "jump the shark?" They restart the continuity once every 5 years. They're constantly switching the products out. The theme of the show remains the same and it panders to a children's audience. Sales? Done. Fanbase? Done. A steady flow of products, which = a steady flow of cash? Done.

I mean, jeez...I've seen a lot of stupid questions come up on this forum, but this has got to take the cake.

When Beast Wars came out, people woed about this.
    When RID's villains turned out to be Predacons, people woed about this.
    When It turned out that the Armada/Energon/Cybertron cartoons weren't up to par, people woed about this.
    When frickin' ROLLBAR AND RICOCHET came out, people woed about this.

Different terminology, but same fear - "Oh noes, Transformers are doomed!"

No they're not. Do you see Transformers products on the shelves? Are they selling? Do they move frequently? Is it hard to get certain products? If the answer to all of these questions is "YES," then there's no way, in my mind, that I could claim Transformers is "jumping the shark" or "dying" or whatever.

14. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    I'll hold off on declaring that Transformers "jumped the shark" until a year from now, depending on the quality of the Transformers-themed uh ... adult barrier devices ... I plan to buy and proudly use.

For all we know, this may be the beginning of the Transformers brand "growing the beard" as it were.

15. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

:lol  "Don't be a fool, wrap your transformable tool. Its truly more than meets the eye"

In regards to the topic at hand. Yeah, this new area that transformers seem to going in seems pretty stupid/silly/whatever, but it only seems to be going on in Japan with Takara-Tomy. I don't think its something that we in the western world should be really threatened with. I doubt we would see something like that over here. So until that happens, I'm just going to sit and point and laugh.

16. Dio

Dio Scrapper

I think it's a natural evolutionary step beyond the BTA toys - those sold well, so they're kicking it up a notch, as Emeril would say. However, products like this tend to be self-destructive when no one is particularly interested in them and sales slump. Capitalism will do its job if it is meant to.

17. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Here's the thing - if people don't like it they won't buy it, BOOM problem solved, different marketing strategy.

If they do like it - well, I guess people in japan and those who order Takaratomy imports will just have to deal with getting a PVC figurine with their transformers.

It seems that stuff is popular in Japan, and no amount of people in the US being offended by it is going to change that.

18. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In short, no. Just because there's one slightly freakish sub-line is no reason to think the entire franchise is going to hell. TFs are going strong and getting ever stronger with the impending movie. Just because kiss-play is repulsive to some people means nothing to the franchise as a whole.

And it's not like they haven't done this before. Not to such an extent, but remember the KT Collection RID Prime/Tai statue?

19. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I was thinking they jumped the shark by starting Generation 2, then I remembered the Micromasters. TFs were never the same again. Of course, you may even be able to claim that they jumped the shark at the introduction of the animated movie.

20. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I'll just continue patting Twin Twist's ass while he gains post counts. w00t.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.