Have the new Classics and designed ruined G1 TFs?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by HoosierDaddy, Mar 26, 2011.

1. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Decepticon. I'm no hero

News Credits:
    I was just pondering this the other day. I grew up with and absolutely love G1 BUT with the technology they have now and re-releases of G1 characters, they have so much detail and pose-ability that i have lost a lot of interest in collecting the boxy G1 figures. Instead I anticipate more new likeness of G1 characters that are actually fun to pose and play with.

Sure from a collector or die hard standpoint I can see why G1 is so important to collect, but am finding myself less interested in searching for G1 toys. With the exception of Jetfire and a couple others that did have some articulation.

Am I crazy?

2. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

You're absolutely right. G1 toys will still have value because they ARE G1, so the Classics line is great for people who want toys that are good by today's standards.
    Alternatively, we can use Weskerson logic and sue Hasbro for trying to ruin G1's value.

3. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No not really dude, you aren't crazy at all. Sometimes the passage of time can change on how we view things, what we perceive as cool & awesome back in the 80's may not be as cool now.

As for me I'm still fine with the brick-ish designs of the G1 TFs & very much anticipate whatever reissues that Taktomy or Hasbro gonna offer in 2011. it's ok man to each his own. :wink: 

4. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I collect both the new stuff and the old stuff. Of course todays stuff has better technology but the originals are classics and will be collected for a number of reasons.

5. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    To answer your question: Beast Wars did that to me. XD Toys improved so much back then that i didnt want to collect any more G1/G2 toys. ^^ And the way Classics/Universe/Generations are done is so wonderful that i am completely in love of them. ^^' To be honest, i am trying to complete a G1 crew with them now. ;) 

6. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Nope. Classics do not have die cast, rubber wheels and are not actual vehicles. So I still love the G1 toys because of that. Classics are a cool update but it didn't ruin it for me.

7. Kuma Style

Kuma Style On Military Leave TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Honestly, the only thing for me that really put a "meh" on a lot of G1 toys is time. Unarticulated block men lost that "but they can transform!" fun factor even when things liek Power Rangers became popular for me.

Even without Classics, G1 toys would be just as dated to me. In fact, Id've never gotten back into collecitng without the updated versions. Can't lie.

8. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

im still looking to add to my g1 reissue collection.

9. Kup-is-Dion

Kup-is-Dion Lord Cthulhu

LMAO!

They're modern representations of G1. They're great for those of us who's parents tossed all their G1 TFs but don't have the cash to rebuild a true G1 collection.

10. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    For me, yes. Although I started losing my interest in G1 as far back as RiD. Alternators and Classics just cemented it. Though there's still some I have a soft spot for, I don't think most of them are worth the price.

11. AMG

AMG Old School

Classics are awesome, but nothing can replace the originals for me.

12. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    There are some figures that just can't be replaced. I still prefer the original Soundwave..

13. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    nope as those who buy G1 want G1 , headless Ratchet and Ironhide and all.

Classics/ Universe/etc are awesome but they are not G1, they are homages to G1. I personally love both but I am starting to switch over to primarily targeting G1 and Beast Wars as I have very little interest in the upcoming movie figures.

I admit the odds of me ever having a 100% complete G1 collection are quite small given my budget but half the fun in the journey.

14. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    I don't collect G1. I've got 2 figs total for G1, and they were impulse than rational buys. I do not like the brick looks...I like modern toys and I can't look back.

15. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Classics, or advances in toys in general, haven't ruined G1 toys for me at all. If I were being asked this when I was a kid, that'd be a different story. Though added posability, closer accuracy, clever transformations, gimmicks, and little nods to the past certainly get me excited for newer releases, I still hope Takara reissues every single G1 toy that hasn't been reissued yet because I still want those as part of my collection too. I'm looking forward to the possible return of reissues later this year as much as I am Generations or Dark of the Moon or anything else.

16. canonball

canonball Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It has yet to be topped, even by the Device Label figure.

17. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Classics haven't done combiners yet, or many other original toy gimmicks. G1 FTW.

18. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't get me wrong, I love the "Classics" line and have most of them, but G1 IS the classics. To be honest there is no comparison. G1 is what it is. They are bricks that have fairly simple transformations and disproprtionate headmasters, etc. Is the "Classics" seeker mold better than the G1 seeker mold? Sure it is, but it doesn't have the nostalgia that the G1 has? Some of us love all the parts, and love deconstructing and reconstructing them. While the figures can be replaced, so to speak, the nostalgia can't be replaced. Bottom line is, to each his own. We all like them for different reasons.

19. and2ng

and2ng Examples, Stupid!

News Credits:
    Classics is Classics. I prefer to think of G1 as vintage toys.

20. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :thumbs2: