Have the movies turned you off from Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Smokescreen38, Jul 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aquarius

Aquarius Well-Known Member

This for me too. The first movie sent me to YouTube, where I spent countless hours watching the original season 1 and 2.

2. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not at all, I love Transformers as much as the day I started colllecting decades ago. Thank you Michael Bay!

3. Autobot X

Autobot X Check out my sales thread!

I like the movies for what they are: explosions and violence. They took the bare minimum they could from the TF mythos and made blockbuster movies. That I can respect. I just don't attach a lot of significance to them in terms of my collecting. I think the toys are just butt-ugly and don't have a whole lot of character other than "Look at me...I'm scary."

What I love about all the movie toys saturating store shelves is that I can go back and pick up stuff I missed from Classics/Universe as well as hunt down some G1 figures. It's a nice break, and a welcome chance to catch my breath and fill in the holes.

That being said, I wish Animated hadn't died!

4. Starscream2008

Starscream2008 Megatron sucks!

It hasn't really turned me off of the hobby, even though I thought the movie was stereotypical, racist, sexist, completely disjointed, unfunny, and way too long(my head and ass actually started to hurt near the end). The first movie was okay. This one was terrible. However, I started collecting back when Cybertron and Energon toys were around, so the movie didn't really get me into it. The first movie line wasn't very good, but this time they've done the toys right. Sideswipe? Awesome. The Fallen? Awesome. Skids & Mudflap? Bad characters, awesome toys. The good thing about Transformers is that there are so many lines to choose from, and so many good figures to get, that to each his own.

5. RodimusPrimeYV0

RodimusPrimeYV0 I

Its like this for me I collected Beast Wars when I was younger because thats what was the recent on. I stopped collection for like 8-10 years for whatever reason but then I started watching the newer stuff Armada(in which I enjoyed) and such and I started collecting again because I enjoyed(your gunna hate me for this lol) Energon and cyberton era so much but than I sold all my stuff .the movie and animated series brought back memories so I picked up two or 3 of those .now after this new movie ROTF Im and official TF collector as off the past week and a half or so .Now I Have a decent collection for it being my first week Ill post what I have as soon a s the boxes show up

6. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Quite the opposite. I was started to get burned out on all the G1 rehashes and homages in the TF line and was very pleased to see the movies come along and present some fresh ideas for the franchise. The movies actually rekindled my interest in TFs, more than anything else.

7. ntsan

ntsan Well-Known Member

Same here! Only after the movie I started collect toys again

8. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

Eh, I'm rather indifferent toward the movies. I'll watch them, but it's not like they're something I actually look forward to, or would be upset if I missed seeing them. I hate the designs of the toys, so while they don't put me off of Transformers, they do put me off from buying any as long as they're on the shelves, with the exception of the occasion repaint (RoTF Superion and Thrust, to name 2).

9. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    You are NOT alone. (Deja Vu!)

Personally, I wasn't a fan of the movie redesigns, though I didn't swear off the movie. It was when the script came out that I became concerned. I saw the movie the second week it was out and I wanted the $6 back and the time, I'd happily have allowed them to purge the memories from my mind. I bought two movie toys prior to the movie, Blackout and Starscream. I'm not one to return figures unless it's really defective, but I was very, very close to doing so with Starscream. I keep it as a reminder to listen to my own opinions over what I read on the internet.

For the second movie, I went and saw it opening day, mostly due to the heat and having nothing better to do and caught a $4 show. I had stayed away from reading any of the spoilers or any of the materials, so it would be a new experience to me. It was. I'm not sure how anyone could've enjoyed the movie. I couldn't tell what was going on most of the time in the so called action sequences, I couldn't understand half the dialogue from the Decepticons, the plot was insultingly juvenile as well as overly bloated due to it being so irritatingly long. I got Baron Ransack, who's full of win, Sideswipe because he was on sale and looked like the Spy Hunter car, and I plan to get Ejector. That's it.

Toying around with Animated figures and watching a few of their episodes has helped, as has staying away from the movie forum here and in general taking a bit of a break from the hobby alltogether. And so has opening up Encore Omega Supreme and Metroplex! (B-day presents!)

10. jazz4ever

jazz4ever I'm turned on by numbers

No.

In fact they have made me more excited for new toy molds. Not to mention the excitement of having a brand new series as well.

11. TIE Bomber

TIE Bomber Banned

Since 1984, the *only* downer for me has been Animated. How anybody could like that show is beyond me! The writing may be good but directly ripping off the look of Batman:The Animated Series & Teen Titans & then trying to pass it off as completely "new" & "fresh" was just plain unacceptable.

The movies rocked! If you didn't like ROTF then you were born with the anti-fun gene!

12. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My situation is similiar. I loved watching and collecting transformers through RID and Armada. I saw some episodes of Energon, and my interest in the franchise began to downfall. I gave it another shot when the Cybertron series came out, and that was it. I stepped away from for transformers for about two years until i noticed a little teaser trailer with the Mars rover, thinking that looks like Transformers. I checked it out online, and got hooked....again. I liked the movies, but didn't care AT ALL about Animated.

13. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:

YOU WERE BORN IN 1986!
    Why do you keep saying "Back in '84" in your posts?

And HEY, you know how people can like that show? Because it was made BY FANS and FOR FANS! Anyone who missed the massive amount of love for Transformers in that show is what is beyond me.

14. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yeah, but i can easily put my efforts somewhere else, i enjoy the movies for what they are, explosions and stupidity, just turn my brain off and watch, but the toys can stay on the shelves for all i care, i miss animated where i was excited about every figure coming out and the same with universe, but there is takara's small lines and fansproject stuff to get until the movie hype dies down, then i can get excited again for universe 3 and hopefully the next cartoon, unless it it bayformers animated, then it will suck

15. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Anubicron TFW2005 Supporter

New movies are pure crap in several aspects, nothing to do with transformers mythos at all. But anyway we had some very very cool designs/toys. That is the good part IMO.

16. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

That's an odd statement, considering that the Bay movies are every bit as much of a G1 rehash as any of the other series (excepting Classics, which isn't really a series anyway).

The movie designs are new in terms of their aesthetic. I'll give you that, but in terms of the cast of characters and the basic premise, the Bay movie is totally a G1 rehash. There's really nothing original there at all.

zmog

17. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

No offense taken. No one should fault you for feeling this way. Whatever makes you happy, go for it, man. And to be honest, as much as I like ROTF, I'm still pissed that Animated and Universe were forced to take a backseat to it.

But, there's still hope on the horizon for folks like you. Animated's remaining figures (including that absolutely kickass Hot Rod and Arcee) will be released either sometime later this year (earliest would be Christmastime) or sometime early to mid 2010 (at the latest), so while that uncertain timeframe sucks, it's at least comforting to know the figures will see the light of day and be on our shelves finally.

And, Universe 3.0 (not the official name) will be returning, with unsubstantiated (let me make that clear) rumors of Rhinox (Voyager Class), and Wheeljack (Deluxe Class) being in the mix.

So it's not a total loss. I'm sorry you were left behind though, I really am. I genuinely think it sucks there's no options for you at the current time and it's not fair. :(  You're a stronger man than I. Much stronger. And far more patient than I am.

Kudos to you, sir. (I'd give you the ever elusive kudo, but Alanis beat me to it years ago with that annoying song. Dammit.)

I'm sad the Animated forum was closed. :(  I'm hoping they reopen it for the new figure releases coming soon. And I hope they didn't get rid of the giant discussion thread. There was so much information that needed to be kept.

I hope you don't lose complete interest in the TF world. I know it's hard to hang on when you've just been told you're not important, but the "surefire" seller and the almighty buck is. Seriously, just hang in there a bit longer, it'll be well worth the wait. I'd hate to see you miss out on the first (and 99% sure, only) car mode Arcee figure.

Join the Brad Bird/Movie discussion. It talks about the movies, but it also gives a great list of ideas and hopes of what we'd want in a TF movie from the director of The Iron Giant.

I'm sorry ROTF was a crapfest for you. :( 

Speaking of Alternators, I know you don't like ROTF anything, but I do think you'd enjoy Human Alliance Bumblebee. He's this movie's version of an Alternator, and he comes with an action figure that he can interact with. Or if for the robot alone, it's a really neat set. It's like the best of both worlds. (Alternators and ROTF) I warn you that he's not quite as intricate as the Alternator figures, but he does have a complex transformation (even more so after the mods mentioned in another thread) and looks like a really nice figure/display piece.

Crap. I forgot to answer the question, the main reason for the OP. *facepalms*

No. The movies have actually gotten me back into spending more than I should. LOL
    Seriously, the ROTF figures are some of my favorites, period. They really outdid themselves this time with Optimus, and now with TakaraTomy making an Optimus with the Diesel tank gun, and removable faceplate, he's truly a Masterpiece figure. I swear, you'd think this was meant to be part of the Masterpiece line. It's insane that he only costs $45.00 as is right now.

And, admittedly, even though I loved ROTF, the flaws do make me appreciate Animated even more, and makes waiting for those figures a damn cruelty. lol

I've even gone back to Universe and started picking up the figures I missed.

Oddly enough, if anything, ROTF gave my TF love a boost. I was so sure it was going to be a rehash of the first movie (and the basic gimmick is), but it thoroughly impressed me, and gave me hope. Then the toys turned out to be awesome (IMO), so...no.

18. Hand Of Omega

Hand Of Omega Well-Known Member

No. I'll always have G1. :thumbs2: 
    There have been so many reboots and incarnations and I have grudgingly accepted that the movieverse is a seperate incarnation yet again. :rolleyes: 

19. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Think about it though, would you really want it tied into the other universes? On it's own, Bayverse is awesome (in some ways, not all).
    On it's own, G1 has it's own merits and problems.
    Etc, etc.

You mix them all together, and you just have a jumbled mash of...well hell, I don't know, but it ain't pretty.

20. Cmdr Prime

Cmdr Prime co-Commander of Autobots TFW2005 Supporter

No it hasn't it has made me more steadfast in TF lore:) 

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.