Have the movies turned you off from Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Smokescreen38, Jul 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

No offense intended to anyone who enjoyed the movies... but I suspect I'm not the only one who has drifted away since the 2007 movie, only popping in to check on Classics and what was up with the Animated toys.

Since the demise of Animated and the 24/7 movie talk, I have much less interest in the TF world. The movies are just NOT for me. Honestly, I want nothing to do with them.

I gave it a chance: I saw ROTF opening day and it was like a kick in the groin.

So I started digging out my classics and Alternators and I picked up the Shout Factory release of Season 1 (though I do own the Rhino version) and I'm starting to remember why I liked these things...but the movie has been a major downer for me.

Am I alone?

2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

The movies? Nope, not a turn off for me.

The Energon series, though...oh man, it was so abysmal that I left TF's all together until TF1 came along (still regreting missing out on most of the Classics molds, though:redface2: )

3. devstar37

devstar37 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    yes yes you are. if anything the movies brought more into the fandom. they were by means perfect movies but pretty damn close.

4. Vexza

Vexza Nerdicon

Uh, no. The movies were what got me started. xP

5. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    Nope, the movie has served to bring more fans into the fandom and has allowed for yet another interpretation of the TF universe. I'm not so blind to the fact that even with it's quirks, the movie makes my number two hobby continue in it's existence.

6. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Is the movie forum beginning to seep into the others?

7. omega knight

omega knight Chibi lancelot launch

News Credits:
    lol I just got intrested in other things for awhile

8. Reaper2006

Reaper2006 Elite Sniper

um........let me think..........uh............nope im good.

9. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    No way. As fans of a series of toys that CHANGE, you think we'd all be a little more receptive to change.

If anything, the only the movies have driven me away from is the boards. (I'm not just talking about TFW2005.com) Any fan board around movie time turns into a horrible place to hang out at. Looks at what's going on at Hisstank.com and other G.I.Joe fan boards. Once peaceful civilizations, tearing themselves apart over a movie that has yet to be released.

Whether you hate the movie or toys, and whether they turn you on or off, you need to respect the fact that they have kept our hobby afloat. Be thankful things like Classics can continue thanks to the new fans that Hasbro is developing with series like Animated and the Movie.

10. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I didn't like ROTF as a movie, but I loved the first movie and I love the toylines for both films.

But I feel your pain, I more or less abandoned the franchise at the start of Armada and didn't really come back until Classics/the first movie/Animated. All things have phases. You'll be back.

11. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My other life commitments pull me away from Transformers for varying lengths of time.

12. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I love the movies, but even I can feel the "drift". No new cartoons have been announced, and there is all this focus on ROTF, but face it, the ROTF line is going to start stagnating just like the 07 movie line, and it'll become a whole load of repaints and retools, and then my interest will return to Universe and the last few Animated toys, along with whatever new cartoon they announce. :) 

13. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    I haven't seen either movie nor bought the movie toys, but no, they haven't turned me off Transformers. The bond is stronger than a few films I don't want to see.

--Moony

14. SoundFire Prime

SoundFire Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^ Same here, but Animated is what definately got me hooked for good.

15. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

Hell no. In fact, the movies (and Animated, plus my being a fan of [and owning the DVDs of] G1, Beast Wars, and Beast Machines) helped sort of "bring me back" (not that I ever really left).

It's just that the Unicron Trilogy was SO bad that I wasn't in to any of those shows, but at least I still had my DVDs of the other shows.

But I'm just glad that the movies make it "cool" to be a fan, and of course I have my "elitism" of knowing that I've been a fan my whole life xD

16. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    They simply reinforced my love for the cartoons, comics and toys.

17. megatronski

megatronski PURGE THE HERETIC

News Credits:
    Got me started on tfs

18. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hear you. For me though, I enjoy the movies and I pick up the characters in the movie (which equals spending a lot less) just so I can have the cinematic versions of the robots in disguise.

My main focus for a long time now has been classics and I will continue to look forward to the lines return.

Animated rocked my ass off too. Hope the next cartoon is as good if not better.

19. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Even if I hated the movies, it wouldn't turn me off from TFs. I made that mistake twice before, and both times I ended up missing something awesome while my back was turned. If there's ever a time where there's nothing around that interests me, I'll spend that time catching up on things that do.

20. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

You are NOT alone.

I'm dealing better this time around though. When the first movie came out, I had my beefs about some of the design changes, but I was still really impressed with a lot of the movie toy line, so I was still buying the new stuff quite happily.

I waited longer than most to see the first movie in the cinema, and when I finally did... it's hard to explain... I came out feeling vaguely nauseous. Somehow all the SUCK that was packed into the movie was seeping out and poisoning the rest of my hobby.

Obviously TF's are just silly kids toys, but it was the first time I'd felt ACTUALLY ASHAMED of all the toys I had bought, and to be considered a "fan" by others. So yes... you heard it right. Michael Bay's movie made me ashamed to be a fan. That's pretty strong stuff.

Melodramatic? Sure. But I can't deny that feeling I walked out into the parking lot with. I realize this is totally a personal psychological reaction, because the movie was actually quite popular... but because I consider myself to be a lover of smart things and good cinema, the movie really created a rift in me. For that night, and a few days afterward, the sense of paradox was really strong, really surreal.

For the record, I got over it... Robot Narnia and I are on good terms again, and I've blocked out the most painful memories of Bay's folly. The movie still sucks, but I can draw a line between cool toys and bad film.

Incidentally, I actually got back on Transformers at the tail end of Armada, thanks entirely to a supercon Nemesis Prime I picked up on sale. That was the tipping point back into the hobby for me (the rest of Armada would not have made such an impact, but that was a damn good figure!). I have never sat down and watched RID, Armada, Energon, or Cybertron... the only actual fictions I've followed since G1 and BW has been Animated and the DW/IDW comics. But I've been omnivorous when it comes to the toys... that's always the touchstone for me.

zmog

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.