Have the movie designs changed the way you collect your TFs?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Autobot Dave, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Autobot Dave

Autobot Dave Photobot

Hey all,

First things first: I DON'T want this to turn in to a flame war that ends up with all of us threatening each others' pancakes because of what any one of us has to say about our respective opinions.

Because, as good as pancakes with sauerkraut sounds... they're not.

Now, down to business.

For the longest time, I've been the guy who collects all of a particular mainline's new molds, along with some repaints. Now, however, I'm just collecting one character each from the movie itself, with the exception of both deluxe Bumblebees.

The reason? I don't like the designs. I just don't like the aesthetic of the movie/toys (that ain't stoppin' me from seein' the bots on the big screen, though :D  ). It's nothing against anyone in particular; I mean, they really are truly unique designs, and I applaud ANYONE who's got the guts to give that a shot. They're just not my cup o' tea.

Why buy the toys at all, you ask? Quite frankly, their engineering is AMAZING!

I figure that, the only way to applaud the engineering, and kinda' give a "meh" about the designs, is to just buy the bots who actually appear in the flick (not that that reasoning's gonna' be available to Hasbro's marketing department). No need to pick 'em ALL up this time around.

The worst part about that... to me... as a LONG TIME fan... is that it doesn't bother me at all. Yes, in the past, I've actually had a guilty conscience about NOT buying toys that I didn't like... I'm sick like that :redface2: 

But now... I don't know. I can take 'em or leave 'em.

How 'bout you guys? Are any of ya' in the same boat, or are ya' all gonna' poison my pancakes when I'm not lookin'?

Have fun, gang!!!

2. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Beast Machines taught me the lesson that I didn't have to own every figure, or one of every mold, or anything I wasn't genuinely, truly excited to own.

My thanks to you, Supreme Cheetor.

3. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like the way you put this,you dident flame at all.

Me myself i'm buying it up because I missed out on alot of good molds from the past few lines. I'm digging the new disigns myself, I was on boardfor this from the begining. I presonally like the new toys. But thats just me.

4. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    For a while I tried to be a full line collector (back in BW) but realized after a while I was accumulating a lot of stuff I didn't like, and quit being slavish about it. I still buy plenty of toys, but I avoid most things I'm pretty sure I won't enjoy.

I've bought a lot more movie toys that I initially expected I would, in part because I tend to like the way the toys look more than the CGI designed they are based on. Only dumpers have been when there were items I didn't expect to like, but I let myself be swayed by glowing reviews by board members. Didn't work out.

5. Quickswitch

Quickswitch Assault Warrior

They haven't changed my collecting patterns that much. I don't buy ALL the toys, just the ones that I happen to like/are good....just so happens that 95% of those toys are in from the movie line... :confused2 

-Quickswitch

6. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

The movie designs suck, quite frankly. That also translates into the toys. As such, I'm not buying the toys of the movie characters. The only good looking toys from that line are the ones whose characters weren't in the movie. As such, I might pick up Wreckage. The Real Gear figures are ok. I've only picked up Spybot because I thought I'd like it, and I did. Spybot's a pretty cool toy. I think it's the best looking Real Gear there is. I like the Sector Seven line too (if you'd consider it a line). I've always wanted all the military-type basics released in military colors for a change. I picked up the blue Arcee as a substitute for Chromia. I'll be picking up the Strongarm for a Hound, I'll get the green "Air Raid" too, and also the Elita One (it looks more like Arcee, Energon Arcee looks more like Elita, and I'll have both once I get the Elita One repaint). Overall the movie has lessened my interest in collecting, at least when it coems to the current lines. Hopefully this "Animated" bullshit can bring out some good molds (Ratchet looks ok).

7. Autobot Dave

Autobot Dave Photobot

:lol  :lol  :lol 

Thank ya' sir, much appreciated :) 

Feralstorm: I know whatcha' mean about the reviews. My problem before this line and after reading the reviews was, "NO TF can be THAT bad!" To which, I was genereally proven wrong.

:lol  No prob, man. To each his own :thumb 

8. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

I buy the figures that look cool to me or that I get into after reading the Comics/Watching TV show/Movie.

9. GladiatorPrime

GladiatorPrime working on Rampage P2-V2

I buy what I like from each line that comes out!

10. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The movie line is the first time since RiD I'm not trying to get every toy in the line, so yeah. What really helped though was when I tried to get all of my collection out to take pictures of it. Realizing that I buy all this shit up like it's essential to my well being, wasting all my money on it, and then just storing it away in boxes and such...eh, it gave me a whole new perspective. Until I have a LOT more money, I can't continue on buying all this stuff, and I decided then, months ago, that especially since I don't like most of the designs anyway, that I'd refrain from buying any of the movie toys. I've grown on them since then, and they are really tempting me, but so far I've been able to refrain.

11. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    I really dont know what to think yet I have a few movie toys but I'm partial to my older style TF's. I think its just the box look that I like.

12. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Hasn't really changed the way I collect. I've always just got the stuff I thought was cool. I've never gotten something based solely on the character, or the line. "Does it look awesome?" is always my first question.

13. SPIKE

SPIKE ZONE DEFENSE!!

Nope, could care less about the transformer movie toys.

14. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

That's "couldn't care less". If you "could care less" then that means you have some affection for them (which you plainly don't)

I buys what I likes and likes what I see. The Movie lne has got me back into collecting the toys after a huge gap precisely because they don't follow the pattern of days gone by, so I guess they did change my habits.

When TF ANIMATED comes out I'll serious give them a look though, thank to my re-ignited interest. If me like, me buy.

15. SPIKE

SPIKE ZONE DEFENSE!!

Sorry just came back from a party :drunk  . Thanks though....

16. Trek

Trek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Since the end of Cybertron I started a new policy on buying TF - If I don't want to open it, I don't buy it.

Unfortunatly that made me a completest for the classics line. For the movie line I might get the main characters.

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Nah,I makes me want to get more after i buy one.

18. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I bought Movie Jazz and that is basically all I intend to buy. Agreed with a lot of people that if it looks cool I buy it. Which is why I have bought so few movie toys.

19. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Im the same.

The only difference the movie designs have made to my collection.

Its added another series....and killed my wallet some more.

20. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    It hasnt changed anything for me cos I've always been under the "buy what you want and nothing more" mindset. I'd much rather buy Movie Swindle than Armada Sideswipe