Have High Moon reached their limit?

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Snark, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Back when WFC came out, it was an incredibly fun, albeit flawed game. It featured a unique multiplayer experience, transformations that were actually useful rather than a glorified sprint button and proved that good Transformer games could be made.

Granted, there were flaws; the campaign was incredibly dull to play through, balance could have been better and there were superior 3rd person shooters out on the market. Nonetheless, WFC layed an incredibly solid groundwork to build on.

Following the release of DotM and FOC however, I really don't see much improvement. There have been some things that have been improved, but for the most part, every Transformers game High Moon has made has been roughly on par with each other.

So is this it? Is High Moon capable of making good games, but simply unable to push themselves into greatness? What do you guys think?

2. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    I think that after three+ years of doing nothing but Transformers games, they're probably burnt out like hell. It's why I'm glad they're doing Deadpool next instead of Transformers: Sequel of Cybertron.

3. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    No I think they will grow in time, they tell a good story & have a passion for the product.

4. Grimlockimus

Grimlockimus Wot?

News Credits:
    Agreed.
    I think they did FOC so they could finally get that sequel out and finish up on some ideas they had in reserve from WFC.

The Deadpool game is just what they need in my opinion, something fresh and new ground for them.

And maybe, just maybe, in Cyb3rtron, they'll have Deadpool riding Grimlock into battle against Devastator.

5. HeroicC300

HeroicC300 Chats with Artists

News Credits:
    ^ This makes total sense, if deadpool annoys the shit outta Grimlock.

6. Downshift-1307

Downshift-1307 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sense.
    You has it.

And this all depends on whats considered "Greatness" today in videogames to be honest...

7. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Yea Deadpool plus the (probably) PS4 and Xbox 720 will most likely mean a better third game.

8. Wikkid

Wikkid Semi-retired customizer

IMO, they peaked with WFC.

I mean really, when we're talking about a Transformers game, you'd think the ability to transform would be paramount. From what I understand (As I never played) DOTMs vehicle modes were so powerful, you never really needed to change form. Having played FOC, your robot mode is better armed and more agile due to the sprint. I hardly ever use the tank/truck/car mode.

IMO, WFC had the perfect balance of robot/vehicle usefulness.

9. Grimlockimus

Grimlockimus Wot?

News Credits:
    To me they did that as a way to better show off the customization options they've added, and let people see their robot more than the vehicle. Could be wrong, but I'd guess they would want to show that aspect of multiplayer off the most.

10. The Constructicon

The Constructicon Yeah, I turn into a leg.

I use my vehicle mode all the time.

I think they're doing great, sure the game is flawed but I'm sure by the third game it'll be even better. After playing FoC and going back to try WFC, the first game feels horribly dated. The new game feels much better, sure they gutted some features I'd like to see back but the multiplayer is better now.

11. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'd say Fall is a solid step up from War, so no, they aren't stagnating.

12. Baird

Baird bug-stomper

WFC campaign was dull? news to me.

13. coybrafett

coybrafett Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I thought the campaign was amazing, and fall was, I wouldn't say better, but different and still amazing.
    I guess if someone didn't like war, they are not going to like fall. Then again, they may not even like transformers for that matter.

14. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream The Ultimate Golden Gamer

News Credits:
    I think that the more we give them constructive criticism per game, the better they'll get and the bigger the better per game. With the sensible criticism from FOC, they'll know to make vehicle mode more useful, improve on customization, etc.

15. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    this is because of HMS listening to every complaint and bitchings in the world to the point that they want FOC to be a dumb game...

well now it is "balanced", but now it took out all the fun that made WFC a really enjoyable and addictive game to play.

i remember when news came out that HMS was going to do FOC, was excited... then we heard of combiners... rumors even had it combiners might be playable in MP..... but it all came and gone... nope. nothing new. no breakthroughs in gaming. would've been nice if playable combiners in MP were true. but even that won't take away the fact of HMS's stupid moves with regards to the core MP gameplay. it has sucked badly.

Instead, they scrapped a lot of the stuff from WFC, several robot and vehicle abilities that made the WFC multiplayer experience a lot more fun and versatile. i see no reason why they need to scrap them, and just add to existing abilities they decided to put in FOC. i wouldn't have any problem bringing back double jump, which made WFC a faster game to play, and all the other abilities from WFC on top of dash, sprint, weapons switching (a useless and worthless ability), etc. they could've even put in crouch or crawl there if they wanted. that would've been great.

honestly, this game is just damn slow. i liked the more frantic, quick pace in WFC. i said it before and i'll say it again, FOC feels like playing MOdern Warfare, only with robots that transform into vehicles. and you can't believe how much i hate Modern Warfare. i loved the fact that in WFC i could go lone wolf and kick ass and take on an entire squad. it was definitely and absolutely fun intimidating my opponents. if they're jealous of that, those abilities are present there and they can use it anytime when they want it so saying that this is "overpowered" or that is "overpowered" is a cop out. what's the point of playing along with a team if your team is a bunch of dumbasses who don't know the idea of softening targets, assisting and backing up team mates??? whereas before in WFC i could go #1 on the match leaderboard playing as a scientist, now i'm finding that hard in FOC and it is only either leaders and titans that can do that... if you choose a scientist, then for all intents and purposes you're just going to play as support and back up, can't mostly go on the offensive, and nothing more. so much for "balanced"... ever since this full game, the highest kills i got playing as a scientist is around 12... with the leader, i got to 36. during the FOC demo, playing as a scientist the highest number of kills i got was 21, and then i started learning how to use the leader class. but after FOC was launched, couldn't accomplish the same feat anymore. i kept trying, but what did HMS do???

why?

that's because HMS preferred to dumb the game down. it took out these robot and vehicle abilities to make the game "balanced" and "fair" for everyone, those who bitched about how the Leader in WFC was overpowered when there were a lot of ways to take leaders down in WFC.

and where is FOC now? well, to me it has such become a boring game.

i said before there are only a few things that i could commend FOC on: host migration and customization.. host migration is great. although i love customization, it falls short because of the lack of playable female Cybertronian characters, WHICH were there in WFC with Arcee and Slipstream and also the limited color choices we can use. instead of allowing the player the freedom to play around with the color, it's these preset colors. it's lame.

i loved the fact that they are serious in going after cheaters and hackers this time.

but all this is negated by a slew of really dumb dimwitted moves on HMS's part: removing killstreak rewards. removing several robot abilities. removing several vehicle abilities (really, jets can't barrell roll??? are you freakin kidding me??").

And to top it off, the bad stuff that we've come to not like in WFC, they carried it over to FOC, and one of them is still the existence of glitches and also not having any meaningful reward when you reach Prime Mode... would've been great if reaching Prime Mode meant placing several abilities on your robots and vehicles (at least 3)... but no, instead it's just a couple of dinobot and elite heads you can use for your customized character and then the matrix again by your name.

seriously, i gave this game an A+... but the more i play this game, the more i get disheartened. right now my grade on it is A-, really teetering close to B+.

16. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream The Ultimate Golden Gamer

News Credits:
    Okay, next time there's a brawl outside around the corner, you can just stand in the doorway and get sniped.

17. scorpio-prime

scorpio-prime Dreamer with fists

I have to agree with the vast majority of what Magneticus said. Whilst the game does indeed feel tighter and more polished than WFC, the monumental stripping down of multi-player has vastly reduced its overall enjoyablity. After playing the orginal for over year, accruing something like a solid fortnight of multiplayer, I can honestly say that the Scientist, Scout and Soldier classes WERE mostly balanced against one another, and the monumental brokeness of Leader could easily have been remedied by simply removing the War Cry ability or just toning it down (ie, have it provide very little of a buff when used alone, but becoming far more powerful when team mates are around - thus achieving the unifying effect it as orginally intended for rather than steroids for Rambo players), and swapping the Magma Frag with the Soldiers EMP Shotgun (the big slow guys should be the ones bringing the heavy ordinance).

With regards to cutting the Killstreaks, I'm reminded of an interview where I believe it was Tieger who said they did this to prevent stacking and players running away to preserve their streaks - the former which could have been solved by simply making it so the Killstreak rewards do not themselves contribute to your overall Killstreak (bascially so you can't acquire P.O.K.E, get yourself killed then use it to acquire another one over and over), and as for the 'running away' part again as I mentioned, I played the game solidly for over a year and barring a few occasions found that most matches were aggressive within seconds and stayed that way for their duration - sure, you'd often get guys running and hiding when the battle wasn't going in their favour but then the game would get boring quickly if everyone simply kept going at it with only slivers of energy left. Also, add to this that without Killstreaks, I just don't feel motivated to play as well as I did in WFC - its actually fairly rare for me to get a 3 killstreak with a Scientist, and when it pops up onscreen rather than get a feeling of achievement, its more a feeling of frustration knowing that the match isn't going to get any more strategic or enjoyable as a result - no Health Matrix or Overshield to allow me to play more aggressively and get right up in the enemies faces, no Nucleon Shock Cannon to blow them to bits and accellerate my team toward victory.

Sorry, but High Moons approach to solving WFCs balance issues is rather akin to going to the doctor complaining of a cold, and them prescribing decapitation as a remedy.

18. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    yup... that's the key words there... can't play aggressively and i tend to be an aggressive player. preferred getting overshields rather than the present thing they have now where you already have a shield, as worthless as it is... even the health regen is worthless. that's another thing, the health regen. during the demo, i could take on 5 opponents and not get killed. since they were nerfing, buffing, nerfing, buffing, rinse, repeat crap around, even when i activate that health regenerator thing, and if i come across 2, 3 opponents and start shooting back at me, then i get knocked out. what's the purpose of getting that thing then? so you're right, with FOC, aside from having it dumbed down, HMS has taken out the player's ability to be a more aggressive player. that's lame. starting to think that FOC is nothing but a $60.00 90% customized-character creation, 10% gameplay. and they're talking about "balance"???

19. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

WFC and FOC had the BEST campaigns ever seen in a video game!

20. Crainy

Crainy Well-Known Member

Well, the core gameplay of Fall of Cybertron is much MUCH more thought out than it was in WFC. So I think they are improving. High Moon still needs to find their own way of making games, and FOC clearly was a step in the right direction for them.

Also, @Magneticus: Learn to play. Or if you play on PC, I show you how aggressive you can really be in FOC.