Have any other Star Wars nerds noticed this?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Jetstorm, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

Ok, well as we all know they used quite a few Star Wars sound effects in the original Transformers (probably the most common ones are the various lightsaber sound effects and the TIE Fighter sound effects). But the one I'm thinking of is a bit more obscure. I'll give you a specific example.

In the season 3 episode, "Only Human", at about 20 minutes into the episode, Metroplex (I believe... >_>) is shooting some sort of laser. Now, to me, this laser sounds like C-3PO yelling right as he's about to get shot in Empire Strikes Back. Anyone know what I'm talking about? The part when Threepio goes looking for an R2 unit and the Stormtrooper asks "Who are you?" and Threepio starts stammering and then yells "NO!" right before he gets shot.

Is this a coincidence and the sound effects just happen to be really similar? Or have I just seen The Empire Strikes Back waaayyy too many times? =P

2. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

I've heard the lightsaber noise in MTMTE

3. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I don't think there's any G1 episode that DOESN'T have any SFX borrowed from Star Wars. XD

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    The sound byte you mention IS from ESB. It's a very commonly used rip in S3, right from the finished movie. I guess some dude in the effects dept. really liked that sound.

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Maybe George Lucas got in a time machine and borrowed the sound effects from Transformers, came back in time to place them in Star Wars, then they were borrowed for Transformers?

On a more serious note, the cues in Transformers: The Movie from Star Wars have always bothered me, but perhaps that's for a different thread . . . .

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    A lot of the sound effects are from sound libraries, like the Wilhelm scream. These sound effects are used across the medium. It's mostly a case that you recognize the sound from Star Wars, since that was your first exposure to it. Further adding to "territoriality" was that after SW got big, most sci-fi shows would stop using those sound effects for fear of being a SW clone, so you didn't hear many of the effects too often again in similar shows, leading to a "uniqueness" of the sound to being from SW, however that's not the case, you can find those generic sounds in several movies and TV shows that predate SW.

There are some sounds that SW added to the sound libraries, but many of them, especially the gunfire and ship sounds weren't original for SW either.

7. Tyjos

Tyjos Just another Collector

Gi Joe also used star wars sounds too.....so must have been a thing back then...same thing like Robotech using Sounds from Gundam.....

8. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's always been the most hilarious noise. I think Six Shot's guns used that sound in The Rebirth during his tiny scene, so all you'd hear is NO! NO! NO! NO! given that his only bit of business IS shooting the crap out of everyone