Customs: Have any of you ever used Jawbones for kitbash joints?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Shwiggie, May 9, 2011.

  1. Shwiggie

    Shwiggie Likeable dryskinned biped

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2005
    Posts:
    141
    Trophy Points:
    97
    Location:
    Shropshire
    Likes:
    +1
    I first got the idea from here. After seeing a set on Amazon for a fair price and having some extra dough to burn on an Amazon card, I picked up a set of these things for potential customizing purposes. Hey, if nothing else, my niece has something to play with next time she drops in.

    These things are almost all ratcheting joints. Stiff, too. Granted, some of the colors here are garish, but I'd imagine the lighter ones can be dyed (though I fear warping would damage the key component that prompted their procurement). But I'm seeing tons of potential here, particularly for people like me who really don't like the idea of dismantling Transformers to build new ones :) 

    The question is, have any of you used these before? I'm thinking of using them in a scratch-build in the near future. I'm also not sure of the type of plastic used here, so painting is iffy. Then again, these are joints we're talking about.
     
  2. JavaJim

    JavaJim Agilisticobot

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2011
    Posts:
    516
    Trophy Points:
    101
    Likes:
    +0
    Ebay:
    Never used them, but already see several that I could easily use in a design.
     
  3. destrongerlupus

    destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2006
    Posts:
    6,539
    News Credits:
    3
    Trophy Points:
    232
    Likes:
    +5
    Hehe, saw this thread and thought "hey I wrote an article about those!" but I guess you already know that :lol 

    Anyway, I used them in my first bash literally yesterday, and was pleased with the performance. I ended up having to pull them back out because I decided a B&S joint was going to be required instead of a simple ratchet, but I had good results tooling them and adhering them, and their strength held up well once mounted.

    That said, having worked with them a little more now, I'm 99% sure these are nylon based (aka the same incredibly tough, but "unpaintable" material Hasbro uses for structural parts of TFs), so if you can't color-match the parts (and given the neon colors they mostly use, that could be hard), hiding them might be your best bet.

    I bet they COULD be dyed, however, and certain painting techniques might work....

    D/L
     
  4. Shwiggie

    Shwiggie Likeable dryskinned biped

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2005
    Posts:
    141
    Trophy Points:
    97
    Location:
    Shropshire
    Likes:
    +1
    I love it when a plan comes together [​IMG]

    I'm probably going to putty over a great deal of the joints when I actually put them to use, so coloration probably won't pose a major issue for me. However, if they're like the "hinge-y" parts of the Classics Seeker molds, they should take dye very, very readily. Time to invest in some Rit next time I hit Discount City....
     
  5. destrongerlupus

    destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2006
    Posts:
    6,539
    News Credits:
    3
    Trophy Points:
    232
    Likes:
    +5
    I suspect dye will work.

    Someone in Radicons also recent suggested that "painting" nylon parts with a thin coat of brush-applicator super-glue also preps them to take paint flawlessly. I've never tried it, but in principle it makes perfect sense!

    If you beat me to it with your dye efforts, let us know how it turns out!
     

Share This Page