Hate Mail Time

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Gojira Prime, Aug 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

What I am about to say may piss some people off, so get ready.

First off: robot romance. Yeah, that's right. So, you don't like it when Arcee hits on Hot Rod in the '86 movie? Get thrown off when Airazor and Tigatron confess thier love for each other? Why? IDW gave us a great explanation for the existence of female Transformers, so let's follow it up with a reason for them to love. Perhaps the attraction is a remenant of thier inevitable biological ancestors. The fundemental need to reproduce reawakened by the re-emergance of gender. Maybe I'm just full of crap? But, hey, if I can whip that explanation up in an afternoon, I'm sure more knowledgable fans could give a better one in a week.
    SO why am I defending romance in Transformers? Because, romance offers a level of emotional character interaction that other relationships-such as friendship, brotherhood, etc-just can't. We want to be emotionally involved with our characters, and for them to be emotionally involved with each other, on as many levels as possible.

Second, we have the fandom itself. Yeah, I'm talkin' to you out there. All of you. This thing is just like the American political system. Seperate groups getting together like warring tribes to bitch and moan about how one is better than the rest.
    "Oh, yeah, we're TFW! We're so much better than those guys at Seibertron!"
    "Look at me! I'm a big-shot YouTube reviewer! Don't subscribe to those other guys! I've got exclusive Animated reviews!"
    Stop it. Just like the republicans and Democrats, it's only when we shut the f*ck up, get our sh*t together, and join forces, will we actually get anything done.

Let the hate mail begin.

2. mrs_soundwave

mrs_soundwave ultracuteboticon

um, no hate mail from me. i agree with you. i really wish that more of the female autobot toys were actually cars instead of motorcycles...that makes me :cry 

3. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I love when people come here to moan about us moaning.

4. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

@ mrs soundwave: Thank you, but trust me, I'm going to piss a lot of people off with this thread. More than Arron (or was it Gog Dog? Help!) did with his remarks about the Harry Potter films.

5. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    here we go

6. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

Erm... you're mixing origin stories here, and it doesn't quite work out.

In the G1 cartoon, the TFs were created by the Quintessons, and so didn't have biological forebears. Gender was shown to exist much earlier than Arcee - Orion Pax had a girlfriend called Ariel (War Dawn), and there was Moonracer, Chromia, Firestar and Elita One in other pre-movie G1 episodes. Given that BW is acknowledged as effectively "G1: TNG", it's not really a surprise that they continued with gender and relationships.

I'm not sure what the IDW origin is (given that Quints are never mentioned, it's a fair bet it's not the same as the cartoon, though), but since it's a very different story to G1, it's not really a valid link.

This is probably the only way to justify it. It's to create a way for the human readers / watchers to associate with giant robots from outer space.

Erm... OK.

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    3. No Discussion On Politics, Religion or Abortion
    This includes signatures, user titles and avatars.

It also includes political metaphors, like the ones you have put up there.

Additionally:

14. Keep Off-Site Drama Off This Site
    If it happened elsewhere then don't bring it here.

While you've not broken this rule, your proposed discussion of the fandom politics means we're inevitably going to cross this line.

You do have an interesting point on the romance aspect, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.