HasTak vs 3P: Where would your money go?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Transbot90210, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Touche lol

I forgot, iGear infringes with authority!

2. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    lol that's why any G1 figure they throw out, as long as it as the right size (which so far looks to be spot on with the new MP sizes) will fit just fine.

I forsee iGear throwing out the characters Takara has problems acquiring licences for. Would be a pretty safe (safe as in not getting curbed by Takara with your epic looking not MP Soundwave......) niche to fill IMO.

Win-win for us.

3. Sai

Sai Decepticons always have more fun ;)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's funny cos a year ago i would've said that my money was going to 3P simply cos they were giving us what we want but now since we have an MP line with some direction and scale i'm gonna say my money is going towards Hastak.I'm only gonna collect the MP line from now on so hopefully my funds situation should be ok lol.

4. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Depends for me too. I like the new direction of the Masterpiece line, but it's not going nearly as fast as I would like as far as releases and new molds go.

I'd like some sort of firm/official game plan from Takara as to what they're going to do with the MP line. Is it going to be sporadic and just run out of steam as it did before, or will it give us a (mostly) complete line up of '84-'85 season characters before the majority of their fan base reach retirement age (those who grew up during the 80s and are now adults with disposable income to burn trying to recapture our G1 childhoods). This secret squirrel stuff is understandable what with maintaining competitive but it's also frustrating as hell and still gives 3Ps some leverage over us (and HasTak).

I don't think iGear will go away. I think with the constant delays of PP05 they realized what a pain creating full-fledged Voyager sized original molded figures can be. Aside from sticking to their Mini Warriors line (smaller figures means faster rate of return), they can always give us more add-on sets (heads and accessory/weapon kits--these have been excellent) or stuff that they know HasTak can't reasonably give us outside of lame redecos (FoC toys repainted as the Wreckers; bleh).

That's why I think their Presser/not-Impactor would be the first in a decent line of such figures (FP did beat them to Assaulter/not-Broadside, though there are plenty of other Wreckers characters like Roadbuster and Guzzle). Or go after those figures that have known licensing issues (Jazz, Mirage, Wheeljack, Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, etc.). iGear is flexible in this regard, I think, at least more than HasTak, who are constrained by licensing agreements.

All I can say is that HasTak better hurry up and get a move on with the MP line. Can they honestly expect their (rapidly) aging collector fan base to be buying their toys well into their 40's, 50's, 60's?

5. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Eh, it's not even vs for me. I get Hasbro stuff cause I like it, and I get 3rd party stuff because I like it.

6. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

Takara's rethink on the direction of the MP line means there's still likely to be the occasional official release I'll be intrested in but aside from that I've been 3rd party only for close to a year now and have never been more satisfied with my collection.

7. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

What's worse, kibble or gaps all over the place? And when your alt mode isn't based on anything real, it's not the most difficult thing in the world to make it 'work'.

8. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

This sums up my thoughts fairly well.

9. AnAutobot1985

AnAutobot1985 Well-Known Member

My money goes to whoever produces the best version of the character I currently want.

Toyworld got my cash for Hegemon.

Hasbro took my money for MP Grimlock.

Fansproject got 3 sales for the insecticon team.

Jizai got my business with Super Alloy Wheelie.

Takara's encore Omega Supreme stands proudly on my top shelf.

Mastermind is getting my money for Hexatron.

And again, Hasbro will get more cash for MP-10 Optimus.
    Takara too for MP Soundwave.

I am a Transformers fan. My loyalty lies there. Not with any specific company.
    Make something, make it well. Then I buy it.
    QUALITY, NOT QUANTITY!