HasTak: Please no more Prime reissues

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by bradforj, Apr 19, 2009.

1. bradforj

bradforj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    After realizing that the value of the 25th Optimus Prime release is almost nothing, I have come to the conclusion that everyone who needs/wants a G1 Prime already has one.

How about focusing on other reissues? Aaron Archer has previously stated his desire to reissue Artfire, as it is an easy repaint of Inferno. Why not make it happen? Just one example among many, but Artfire is a favorite of mine :) 

Enough with the G1 Prime's already.

2. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    Only a few hardcore fans would want Artfire in their collection. Like it or no, Prime will always sell more than obscure characters. But I'm tired of seeing G1 Prime reissued too. They should have stopped after New Year Convoy.

3. Alex5

Alex5 No Broken

*Kind* of agree. I know they kind of HAD to reissue him for the 25th anniversary, but it did come fairly soon after the much superior Encore reissue and the head-updated ML version, which you can find reasonably cheaply too - I think the majority of collectors for whom previous [Gold label/New Year/TFC #0/TRU] reissues just weren't enough will have got one of those instead. There were also the KO releases. The other aspect being that a lot of the reissue Primes probably don't get opened (unlike G1), as they are collector pieces -finding a MISB one of those isn't too hard. I'd say it's also easier to get a Japan-release Prime now than it was when TRU reissue came about, and the long stack versions are 'better'.

As you say, at the present time most people that want one probably have one.

I can understand Hasbro putting out another NA release as it has been a few years since TRU reissues now, but in light of the superior Takara reissues, it does seem overkill.

As for Artfire, well, who knows what Encore will see, but I really can't see Hasbro releasing him in NA. Mainly for the reasons I outlined above, but G1 reissues seem to do a lot better when released in the west. People want the G1-accurate stuff, toy laws in the states aren't conducive to that.

4. Prescient

Prescient Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Aye, if they can make a $5 toy and sell to wholesale at $15 all day long they will keep doing it. The encore prime has all sold out quickly enough. 25th Anni one is selling much slower but is a silly price £69-£89 here and the paint apps are off colour on the ones I have seen.

5. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    I'm inclined to agree that Prime reissues have reached, or have nearly reached, saturation point. That said, after years of scratching our heads we, (the fandom) aren't entirely sure about the basis upon which some toys are selected, or deselected, for reissue.

The way TRU (mis)handled the commemorative series doesn't help either.
    Perhaps, the most recent reissue of Prime is some sort of attempt to resuscitate demand for G1 toys by reissuing the most recognizable one first.
    Even if that works, even if Inferno hits shelves again in the U.S, Artfire seems unlikely.

If and when Takara get round to Grapple and Inferno, maybe we'll see something then.

6. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

I got lucky and found the 25th primce MOSC at a thrift store for $14.I do agree though,There are so many other characters to release.I bet people would love a Jetfire release or combiners....

7. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    If ROTF Jetfire turns out to be a popular character, a G1 Jetfire reissue would be cool... but does the mold still exist? And does it belong to TakaraTomy or Bandai?

8. Alex5

Alex5 No Broken

Well we're only going to see them through Encore, if at all, and they already did Prime.

No doubt he'll be first (Prime) in whatever comes along after Encore though, in 5 years' time.

9. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    That is a Bandai/Harmony Gold mold. At the present moment, that mold can never be used again by Hasbro or TakaraTomy

10. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Licensing issues make that very very unlikely.

11. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:

actually it is just Bandai. Harmony Gold has no claim to the takatoku Valkyrie mold. Hence why we never saw the Bandai Reissue 1/55 series in America under the Toynami/Harmony Gold label. There were a lot of licensing issues and arguements from both sides of the pacific ocean. However it seems some head way has been made in the way of the Mospeada cyclone toys that Toynami licensed to distribute outside of Japan. The smaller Cyclones were made by Megahouse an offshoot of Bandai.

12. Galva-Cannon

Galva-Cannon Well-Known Member

Optimus Prime/Convoy is the most popular G1 character, that everyone remembers, so why shouldn't they reissue him? They wouldn't be doing that many reissues if it was really true that "everyone has got him by now", because they'd notice that they weren't selling anymore. Hasbro/TakaraTomy wouldn't deliberately take a loss just because they love to reissue Optimus once a year.

I think we're really lucky to be in a position where it's always affordable to buy the most popular G1 characters. The fact that they get reissued a lot keeps the price down, which might otherwise shoot up to obscene levels (TFC #00 Convoy anyone?) If someone who hasn't already got a massive collection wants to get somebody like Optimus, Starscream, Soundwave etc... they can get a minty reissue without having to pay through the nose. Isn't that a good thing?

13. novabeam10

novabeam10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All the G1 primes any stores have gotten over here are still here. I would have like to see another powermaster prime w/apex armor since I missed the TRU version and now I think its cheaper to get the C-310 reissue

14. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Artfire = no no

Reason

Stepper = shelf warmer so it screamed.

Just because a figure is rare does not mena it will sell well. Artifre hade his chance when Inferno was relesed in the tFC as 8 but they did Hauler insteed that was imo better and cooler. Tak also did grapple, he exsist as a convention exclusiv figure alongside Inferno aswell.

15. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I have the 25th one open, and the Pepsi one sealed. If they release another one and I can get it on the cheap, I'll probably just keep it sealed too.

16. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

prime

I think that if they can make a nice hunk of change off the existing mold that even if you do not like/want prime the money will ultimately go into new products/designs, money generated by Prime.

All the G1 Primes in GA/AL were sold never made it to clearance, that I seen.

17. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I don't ._.

18. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

don't know, i don't mind hasbro reissuing that mold every 5 or so years. gets the chance for the fans that are still kids and preteens to get one when they are older, *assuming they will not think it is a complete piece of crap brick fest, :lol 

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Don't speak for everyone, dude.

20. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Probably a better statement would be "everyone who needs/wants a G1 Prime has had many opportunities to get one".

The bottom line is G1 Prime reissues sell. Except when they're $70. :lol