HASCON 2017 - Awards Dinner Panel Reveals

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Onslaught24, Sep 9, 2017.

1. G1 Evac

G1 Evac The Last Knight

News Credits:
    If
    We were voting for who would get the matrix, and transform into a new leader, they specifically mentioned Rodimus Prime whom Hot Rod turned into.

If Hound won, we would get Hound Prime, not hound. Hound Prime looks like a bigger, stronger, older version of Hound. Hound Prime could transform into a gigantic military battle tank, not a jeep. There's a part of the toy, maybe the turret, that transforms into a pre-prime hound inner robot, and this hound can hold the matrix (matrix accessory included) to re-enact the exact moment of evolution "arise, hound prime", but this inner robot hound does not transform into a jeep.

If Arcee won, we would get Arcee Prime, not Arcee. Arcee Prime looks like Cybertronian Cersei Lannister. Arcee Prime could transform into a gigantic pink unicorn, not a car. There's a part of the toy, maybe the head, that transforms into a pre-prime arcee inner robot, and this arcee can hold the matrix (matrix accessory included) to re-enact the exact moment of evolution "arise, arcee prime", but this inner robot arcee does not transform into a car.

Since Optimus Primal won, we get Optimal Optimus, not Optimus Primal (nope, not really). Optimal Optimus looks like Optimal Optimus. He transforms into a giant mechanical ape and jet. There's a part of the toy, the hovercraft, that transforms into a pre-matrix Optimus Primal inner robot, and this Optimus Primal can hold the matrix (matrix accessory included) to re-enact the exact moment of evolution "arise, optimal optimus", but this inner robot Optimus Primal does not transform into a little monkey.

Don't think Optimus Primal got scammed. He won the matrix, and an upgrade into Optimal Optimus. We get a great new toy!

If Arcee or Hound did win, I think we would get even more interesting toys because there's no precedent for their upgrades, designers can get a lot more creative. And if fandom whined again "but Arcee doesn't turn into a car" they can be pointed to the T30 toy or TR toy, instead of buying the new Arcee Prime toy.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Bob Schoonover

Bob Schoonover The Bob Bomber

News Credits:
    My uneducated guess is that they took the photos in the middle of working on proof of concept for Snaptrap (using the same mold). The kibble on the beast belly is inexplicable, the tail doesn't seem like it should end up on the chest, the head is obscured, etc. Would make more sense if Hun-Gurr/Snaptrap have a Sideswipe/Sunstreaker thing going on

• Like Like x 3
  3. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    If Ultra Magnus won, it would have just been a retool of Optimus Prime.

4. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    I'd be really interested to see any concepts for the characters that have no precedent for an upgraded form.

• Like Like x 5
  5. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm holding out a bit of hope that we didn't see that because they will be getting toys down the road. Maybe Optimus Primal winning means that he gets the marketing and story focus, but hopefully they had already put together designs and development time into all the characters and we'll be seeing some more leaders from the group of 9 (especially Deszarus). It would be super cool to see how they handle that on some characters, is Hound a Jeep that can nestle inside a Tank? Is Arcee a Cybertronian Car that can become the cockpit of a Cybertronian Jet? Galvatron is Megatron as a gun that becomes the barrel of a Galatron tank?

• Like Like x 1
  6. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Undersea Warrior

News Credits:
    I think the opposite: Arcee would've been a retooling of the Rodimus figure we're already getting and Hound would've likely been an Optimus retooling with a vehicle mode looking something like Bay's Hound.

Looking back with what we know now, the most interesting winner would've been Shockwave, because there's no precedent for what his Prime form would look like.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  7. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    At the risk of repeating myself, based on what we know now:

1) Ultra Magnus -> Optimus Prime retool/repaint. Damn near straight G1 reference.
    2) Hound -> Optimus Prime retool/repaint. Looks something like Bayverse Hound in alt mode.
    3) Arcee -> Rodimus Prime retool/repaint.
    4) Thunderwing -> Straight-up G1. Alt/bot are the super pretender, "inner robot" is the drone.
    5) Star Saber -> Straight-up G1. Shuttle inner-robot, rest of the ship is the body.
    6) Dezaurus -> Straight-up G1 alt/bot mode. Inner robot forms the breastmaster.
    7) Shockwave -> Beefed up tank. Turret detaches to look like his G1 "spaceship/gun" mode.
    8) Megatron -> Shockwave repaint/retool.

• Like Like x 4
  8. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    That is true, Shockwave has never really needed a power up like that.

Now I'm trying to remember how I voted, I think it was: Hound, Primal, Dezarus? Or Hound, Thunderwing, Dezarus?

9. Fasttrack

Fasttrack Super-Unvincible

News Credits:
    Hoo boy. Really glad there was more to hascon reveals than just that first panel

Moonracer is kind of neat. Turned out better than I had expected/feared. And I'm glad to see she is her own new mold and not just a modified Blurr or something (I know Blurr isn't CW compatible so that would take a lot of modifying. But yeah. After Arcee and Nautica i was expecting it) I don't have any attachment to Moonracer but will probably pick her up because her design looks decent and I like seeing more Fembots getting unique toys. (Though I expect now the leaked Firestar will just be a remold of Moonracer) now Hasbro. If you could just give Nautica another go. Maybe make it a new mold this time

Rippersnapper is... about as underwhelming as I had expected. Very boring design, nonsense "land shark" mode. Generic robot mode save for the wolverine claws. Undecided on if I will bother with Abominus

Especially when looking at Hun-Gurr haha what is that beast mode? That's just laughably bad. Those teeny tiny little legs. And those necks. That's one of the worst alt modes I've seen in a long time. Even the prime legion Hun-Gurr was better than this.
    The robot mode is slightly better. But still doesn't look that great.

And then there's Primal.... finally! Something to actually get excited about from Hascon!
    When I first saw the pictures from he panel with the design sketches and thought he had his organic gorilla mode I was so blown away and excited for him.
    After realising that there was no organic S1 gorilla mode and that The little Primal just turned into .... whatever that is. A remote control? A brick? A monorail car? An extra long casettebot? Whatever
    I was pretty disappointed. But the longer I've let that sit with me and the more I've thought about it. The more I've come around to it.
    Optimus Primal (despite being the character we voted for) isn't the main attraction here, the big focus is on Optimal Optimus
    Primal is just a bonus. I can think of it as his pre-earth body. A cybertronian form. Some sort of space ship thing. It's not the best vehicle mode in the world. But at least it would explain where the "Prime Jets" came from in beast wars allowing a monkey to fly.
    Plus the sheer fact that this guy manages references/ homages to all 3 beast wars bodies of Optimus primal is such a great tribute to the character
    Inner robot mode is season 1 inspired
    Optimal armour is season 3
    And then optimal gorilla can ride on season 1 primal's vehicle mode to reference season 2 Transmetal Optimus' third mode.
    Plus having a toy that becomes 2 gorillas is a bit redundant. Would I have been happy with it? Yes. Am I sad he doesn't have it? Yes. Do I dislike this figure because of that? Hell to the no!
    Anything from a series besides G1 is a welcome addition to the GenerationS line. And I like to see new interpretations and ideas being used. So I'm very excited for this Optimal. (Primal's vehicle mode could be a little better with some wheels or wings or something but it's not the end of the world)
    Save the slavish cartoon accuracy for the masterpiece line. My masterpiece Primal is great. But so are my original 3 Beast Wars Primal toys and the 10th anniversary cybertronian repaint toy. And this guy will be great too. And likely lots of fun

Hoping there will be a few more leader figures to come from power of the primes. And I'd also love to see any potential design sketches they may have had for the other prime vote candidates. Particularly Arcee and Hound.

I'm pretty disappointed that Hascon is over and all we got were POTP reveals. Nothing from the leaked movie line. Nothing from Cyberverse. No final RiD figures
    For Hasbro's first big solo show they didn't reveal all too much really.
    Hopefully there will be more non-POTP stuff at NYCC next month (NYCC or NYTF? I don't keep track.)
    At least we got to see that awesome Optimal Optimus

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  10. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    I was actually planning on buying Armada Megatron rather than G1 ... until I saw Armada in person and saw what a bad representation it was. It wasn't Armada Megs ... it was G1 Megatron doing cosplay. I really wish they'd budgeted for a remolded chestplate for the Armada version.

Primal, on the other hand, looks like a lot of effort went into him. He's a new design and take on the character, while paying homage to all the BW incarnations of him. And if they add a voice chip of Garry Chalk spouting new age gibberish, he'd homage BM Primal as well and all the major incarnations would be represented.

I love non-G1 homages ... when they're done well. ArMegatron was half-assed, Primal is excellent, though not necessarily what some were hoping for.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Or possibly Houndimus Prime and Arcimus Prime.

12. BLOODRAGED189

BLOODRAGED189 Getting a job to buy TFs.

News Credits:
    What are you talking about? I must've missed something

13. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

Movie Tribute line.

14. BLOODRAGED189

BLOODRAGED189 Getting a job to buy TFs.

News Credits:
    Aw, I was hoping he meant listings or something for the Bee movie

15. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    How do you know any of that?

16. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    Don't keep holding, because they lost the poll. People wanted Primal, they're getting Primal. We just have to live without Deathsaurus or Star Saber or Hound. None of the Leaders even have flying altmodes.

• Like Like x 1
  17. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    I don't know *any* of it, but what I do know is what we have in front of us, and how previous fan polls have worked.

18. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Curious and Creative Man

This convention was a bust. Was at least hoping for an Elita-1 reveal yesterday. Or even a few of those Prime Masters. Don't get why they are being so stingy with the Prime Masters? One each in conventions months apart. If they were actually full sized Primes, I'd get the secrecy. But these are just accessories that don't even mesh that well with the rest of the line, yet Hasbro hasn't gotten past the first wave of them.

• Like Like x 1
  19. stad

stad Well-Known Member

Ehh, you never know. For years Hasbro did a Fan Poll for Star Wars, and more often than not the top 3-4 figures would still end up getting made.

20. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    I'll very happy be wrong, but we already know the lineup for half of Power of the Primes' leader class, and there's nothing that can be retooled into a dragon or a jet. Unless there's a lot of original tooling in the second half I don't even see how Takara would do it.

• Like Like x 1