Hasbro's response to an angry collector

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SectorStar, Apr 5, 2011.

1. SectorStar

SectorStar Knightcron

So like some people here, I'm getting pretty fed up with the effort and quality thats being put into some of the new waves of figures and having to return them due to them breaking on me. In the past 4 months I've had to return 3 figures and based on reviews from other members, many others that were on list are crossed off as well.

PCC Double Clutch - I don't think I need to go into detail as to why I returned this.....<_<

RTS BIS 2 Pack - The arm on Cyclonus just broke off when trying to move it down as instructed to transform it. Some members on the board brought up to me that for whatever stupid reason, they used 2 different screws for the arm.

Turbo Tracks - As I put in my post last night, everything was way too tight, popped off both heels and feet, and the gun snapped in 2 while trying to transform it.

As I result of Tracks breaking, I now have no intent on getting Wheeljack for fear that the same issues will be in the figure. I also do not plan to get a Wrek-Gar either as too many people are complaining about it breaking. I honestly don't think I'll be seeing either of these on the shelfs anytime soon due to the massive drought and the upcoming DOTM figures anyways, but I decided to send Hasbro a complaint.

This was Hasbro's response I got this morning....

Somehow I get the feeling this was probably just something copy and pasted that I could find word for word on the FAQ of their site somewhere <_<

2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Everything Hasbro sends out usually has the same copy-and-paste dialogue, but don't think your complaints have totally fallen on deaf ears. I remember the heavy complaints sent to Hasbro about how Double Clutch and wave-mate Mudslinger had absolutely crappy quality, and those issues WERE addressed. I recently picked up a shelfwarming Mudslinger, and it is evident his weak thighs issue isn't around with my figure, and Double Clutch did get no less than four retools to try and fix the issues (although just how much this worked is up to personal opinion).

3. Kuma Style

Kuma Style On Military Leave TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    ... what did you expect? Out of the millions and millions of toys they sell without complaints, I don't think one letter with complaints about an incident that very well could've been a fault of the user is going to make them have a sudden epiphany that they produce toys with shit quality.

4. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

Probably a pre-written response, but you were acknowledged.

5. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Not to knock the OP, as I can imagine it would genuinely piss me off if anything like he experienced happened to me. The thing is, it never has... I've probably owned somewhere around 500-600 different Transformers at some point or another and the only thing I can think of that has been a fault with a figure I have had is my Animated purple Shockwave was missing a finger right out of the box. I am sat here racking my brains to think of one single other QC flaw that I have encountered and I just can't.

Maybe I've been particularly lucky and the OP has been equally unlucky, but in terms of a percentage of all the Transformers toys that Hasbro churn out every year, I don't think the problem is that widespread.

Having said that, I am still way too terrified to open my MP Rodimus Prime, but then I would say he's a special case.

6. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Yup, much of it is their standard response:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...lear-part-paint-any-better-3.html#post2588274

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...s-mudslinger-destructicons-8.html#post5121922

Scott's Tip Of The Day: Ouija Boards

Barbotian Ocean 2.0

Frugal Shopper Canada Discussion Forum &bull; View topic - Beef: Mr. Bucket overheating

And this is by far the most hilarious one, boosted by photo evidence:

Tanga - Product of the Day - Hasbro Mission Paintball Trainer

But I'm glad to see they respond to customer complaints in a somewhat timely fashion. I agree that the quality of recent TF releases is in decline, particularly with the plastics used for the RTS line. I was very disappointed with the "Battle for Space" Rodimus, and the only Generations Scourge I've been able to find to date is an example of poor quality control -- the blue-toned plastic bleeds into the white and it just looks tacky. And my Generations Thunderwing had a stress fracture on the hand, right out of the package.

7. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    were you expecting a non-generic response? :p 

8. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Who ever expects a real response any more?

A couple days ago I was setting up a new cable modem and having an issue with it. I used their chat tech support thing and 90% of what the guy said was a canned PR response.

This is the way of the world.

9. sixpointsinspace

sixpointsinspace Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Working in a similar industry I can say, the response may be automatic, but you didn't really ask any questions requiring a personal response either. Someone whos job it is to field complaints will likely get this as a forward and add it to their list of tasks or meeting topics. I wouldn't worry about it being outright ignored because of the response.

10. butz

butz slippery when wet

Despite the copy and paste response, I agree that your complaint probably didn't fall on deaf ears. Unfortunately at least part of the problem is Hasbro shopping the production of their figures out to factories in other countries (hence "made in china"). If one of the contracted factories cut certain corners to reduce their own costs it could be well after the production runs reach saturation at retail before the problem is caught. For example, look at the lead paint scare Mattel had a few years back.
    Afterwards they can contract different factories, but they can't "un-ring the bell", so to speak, on the defective product that was released.

11. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This. I do genuinely feel bad for the OP and the bad luck they've had with figures, but the letter they sent really was just a complaint and nothing more... There was no request for an in depth reply, or any kind of reply, and no query on the current state of quality in TF products.

The response is pretty much a standard template, but that's the same with 99% of companies out there who receive complaints. And they acknowledged him, which is really the only feasible thing they could do in this instance. If someone at Hasbro does decide to follow up on this, I'm sure they will let you know.

12. jtwhoib

jtwhoib Protocol

Ebay:
    The one about the ouija board is hilarious!

13. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    I like that you sent them lots of kisses after your name.

14. SectorStar

SectorStar Knightcron

It was so I didn't post my full name on something where anyone could read it <_<

It cracks me up how they say they'll forward my comments to the dev team. What good is it gonna do now? We're WEEKS from the DOTM figs suposedly showing up and most of those are probably already in production/ready to be shipped as we speak.

15. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You're thinking too short term... If there is an general, underlying problem they can address it for whatever TF's come after the first or second wave of DotM figures. If you think they're not aware that there might be a problem with them then you might just be disappointed.

16. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    maybe your being to forceful on your figures? i have all of those, while doubleclutch is a crappy figure, cyclonus and tracks (and my wheeljack) are fine

17. Kup-is-Dion

Kup-is-Dion Lord Cthulhu

If all else fails, start a petition and threaten to sue them!

18. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Exactly. I bolded the part that I think is what it boils down to. I have nearly 1500 Transformers in my collection and out of all those I've only enoughtered four of them with real QC issues (two of them being the aforementioned PCC Mudslinger and Double Clutch, which I feel is more of a DESIGN FLAW than a QC issue). I think the ratio of ones with good quality and the ones with bad quality seem toweight heavily on the bad side because people like to complain about issues rather than posting about how their toy is perfectly fine. I'm NOT dissing on the OP, because I'd be pissed off too if I had that kind of luck, I'm just trying to look at it from the standpoint of a bigger picture.

19. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well obviously they listen otherwise we'd call them Mattel! HA!

20. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't pass on Wheeljack, you will regret it later.

As someone who has had his fair share of QC issues, don't let it run you down man. Just exchange them for a new one at the store whenever you get a dud. Unfortunately as toys grow more complex, the margin error for mistakes increases too.