Hasbro's quality control

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by AnAutobot1985, May 5, 2012.

1. AnAutobot1985

AnAutobot1985 Well-Known Member

In all fairness to us collectors and with toy prices being what they are...

does anyone else feel Hasbro could do a better job?

I'm sure everyone has issues on some of their figs whether it be paint apps, decals, or even the molding itself.

I just received my FE Bulkhead and its like come on!! Stress mark on his left leg. Paint chip on his helmet. I don't mean to complain but its like come on Hasbro!!! I really should stick more with Takara. Don't really have issues with them. They understand there are adult collectors and seem to respect that. Between that and the way Hasbro are releasing things near impossible for us to get...it seems more and more like they are saying "Take it or leave it. We just don't give a f***."

My 20th DVD MP Optimus has some serious paint issues. A masterpiece?? Come on!!

....yeah I'm venting. Ive had quite a few figs with issues recently.

2. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The QC is fine from my point of view. I barely ever get anything worse than slightly loose joints.

3. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    You kinda had my attention.........

...until you started on the tried, tested, worn out, and invalid 'Takara do everything better' nonsense.

4. AnAutobot1985

You really don't think they 1-up on QC? I don't have too many Takaras like I do Hasbro. But what I got came out nice!!

5. AnAutobot1985

I take it back on Takara actually...just thought of United Megatron. He's got a couple problems. Guess they aren't perfect either.

6. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it's all just pot luck. I've had very few cases of bad QC- mostly damaged ball joints made out of clear plastic and stuff like that- though I will admit no Takara figure I've bought thus far has had poor QC. Always Hasbro on that front.

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Takara-Tomy's toys are built in the same factories as the Hasbro toys, by the same people, going through the same QC checks.

They are exactly the same QC-wise as each other. Someone's luck may be different with one than the other, but that's all.

8. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    Just a few quick examples:

MP7: Reversed air intakes on every single one, afaik

MP6 (second run) produced about the time MP7 was released. First run, air intakes were the right way round. Second run, yeah you guessed it: air intakes reversed.

MP9. Many examples of ill fitting parts, toy was essentially put into production w/o them resolving some serious design issues. Takara didn't do a tap about it, other than issue a second run with said issues fixed, a few months after Hasbro addressed most of the issues.

MP3: Was reportedly intended to be dark-ish gray. Instead was turned out in a greenish-grey. As soon as Takara realised this, the best they came up with was 'yeah, sorry'.

MP2, re-release. I can't remember the exact issue there, but incorrect assembly issues were common.

MP8: Original run had screws on the tail pivots that scratched the chrome on the tail. At least Hasbro replaced them with flat pins,...but THEN Takara did a second run with the flat pins.

United Tracks: I know at least one person who got one with two left hands. My first two both had fairly significant chips in the plastic (not just the paint) straight out of the box.

TFC Jazz: Couldn't even stand up properly, details on face lost from overuse, and their indifference to making a new mold.

Henkei Skywarp and Thundercracker: Sloppy paint. Launchers don't peg into the arms properly. IIRC, at least a few Thundercrackers have slipped out with deep scrape marks on the knees.

BTA Alert: Mold so worn out, it wouldn't even fit together in Alt mode. Solution? Ship it in Robot mode. Nobody will notice 'til it's too late.

This isn't an attempt at 'Hasbro are better', but Takara don't have anything like the edge over Hasbro some believe, or even Takara would like you to believe.

9. AnAutobot1985

WOW. Thank you for all the examples. I guess what it boils down to is that when all is said and done these are just TOYS. We get whatever we get. Of course I'm happy to have the Transformers I do, but I suppose I'm just dreaming that we could all have near perfect collector's quality pieces.

10. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Sure, switch to Takara. Hope you enjoy Arms Micron.

11. primeone

primeone PRIME

News Credits:
    one problem ive had recently with qc is prid arcee has two right hands

12. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

My Henkei! Dinobot didn't have one of the push screw thingies in his hip in all the way, and one beast mode eye is missing its pupil paint app. My Henkei! Astrotrain's shuttle nose doesn't fit together right. And my Takara First Edition Cliffjumper's left shoulder has gotten loose despite going through almost exactly the same wear as the right one. (in fact, I've never had to treat the right shoulder whereas I'm considering doing a second treatment on the left)

Now, some of my Hasbro figures have had their issues as well, but not any more or less frequently than any of my Takara figures. I'm not seeing either company's QC being better or worse than the other.

13. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Right on,luck plays a part when purchasing a toy,is unlucky then we will get bad QC toys

14. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    Most of the issues I have had with Hasbro products have been loose joints and the Ark playset I got was warped where it wouldn't open right. I have bought plenty of Takara things too without problems, but I don't buy Takara everyday and I have been lucky what I have gotten has been in great condition. Now if I bought Takara everyday, I'm sure I would come across some issues.

15. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    It would be nice to get toys with a plethora of perfect paint apps with no loose joints or mold issues but I know it's never going to happen. I have over 2,000 Transformers and NONE of them are "perfect". I'd go crazy if I expected perfection. I tolerate minimal paint apps and the occasional loose joints since they are just simply toys. That said, if a toy's face has paint chips it drives me nuts. I had to get a new RtS Wreck-Gar for that reason. Sadly my Botcon Metalhawk has a similar issue but I'm not going to shell out the money for a new one of those!

I say it mostly does come down to luck of the draw as well. I have just as many Takara Transformers that have what I would consider "big" QC issues as Hasbro ones.

16. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    That reminds me of my Universe 2.0 Smokescreen. I opened him up after he was mostly gone form shelves and discovered that his face is not fully painted. He has a blue uneven chin.

17. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    This is intentional, to make it look like his helmet has a chin strap.

18. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    worst qc toy i've gotten bar hasbro mp rodimus, henkei thundercracker, wings so loose they flop back, guns fall out of shoulders, no tight joints, floppy mess

19. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My worse TF QC toys so far will be the stupid TakaraTomy MP09 version1 Hot Rodimus

20. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Transform & Bamboo out

Can you post some pics of your Bulkhead here? I have a paint issue too and I wanted to see if someone else had paint issues. Seems like you do. Can you post some pics?