Hasbro's Quality Control Process

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by mordecai6, Dec 11, 2008.

1. mordecai6

mordecai6 Mexi-con

News Credits:
    So this isn't really a thread for whining about having crappy paint apps, or no head or broken activator springs, but I am honestly curious as to the process of quality control in Hasbro. I am actually really interested after seeing that gallery on TF08 where they showed how the molds were made and put together in the factories. Regardless, does anyone actually know how all of it goes down at the factories?

2. Gouka

Gouka Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can't answer your question but I am curious, do you have a link to that gallery?

3. ilikepuppies

ilikepuppies Mighty Muggs Make Me Mad

i'd also like to see that link, please :) 
    if you could find it

4. mordecai6

mordecai6 Mexi-con

News Credits:
  5. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Well I don't have a gallery. But in the course of mah schoolings (post secondary) I learned in general terms what quality control for this kind of manufacturing is. It's based on statistics, probabilities, and confidence intervals and such like. Plus breaking stuff.

What that all means is that they make a batch of a couple hundred/thousand. And they'll randomly grab a dozen or so of the finished product (that is what comes off the end of the production line MISP/B more than likely ) and put them through QC testing. And if those dozen or so meet QC standards, that batch gets shipped out to be sold. They don't test every figure that comes off the line. Very important to remember that. They couldn't, cause then their manufacturing plant becomes a closed loop that doesn't produce anything. QC testing means you destroy what ever your testing half the time, and the rest of the time it wouldn't be fit to sell. Ofcourse I know very little about the specific tests that the toy industry would use. Beyond the drop test that RiD Fort Max kept failing.

6. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    At what point in the production process do they test the paintjobs? (yeah, I know what the OP said, but I'd still like to know) There seem to be an awful lot of blue-faced Universe Ironhides about which I would've thought would've been caught quickly if someone was actually checking what was coming off the line. Same with the sticky paint problems.

7. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

They don't test them. Ironhides blue face means that someone screwed up somewhere. Probably at the factory. The colours used in Ironhide wouldn't be labeled silver, light blue, cherry red. They'd have some sort of code like say GH-106. And if the numbers for silver and the all spark blue are close together on the colour chart and someone misreads it blue faced Ironhide.

8. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits: