Hasbro vs. Takara releases

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by n_tel_ekt, Jul 17, 2007.

1. n_tel_ekt

n_tel_ekt Wreaker

WHY WHY WHY Does Hasbro like to screw the US out of great toys??? They produce tons of Crappy TF's(IMO) and distritbute and advrtise like crazy! But when it comes to cool stuff like this, they dont even wanna release it here... The same with the nike shoe TF, Alternators., (just a few examples) Even when they do release great toys... They usually dont advertise for them (Alts!!! & MP's) or they distribute so thinnly that you never find them when you're looking. If it would save me AND Hasbro money and get more US releases and less repaints, they could just sell my toy to me in a paper bag and put that money they wouldve spent on packaging into renewing the Alternators line or give Ultra Magnus a true MP form (I think its a shame that they reuse any mold for a MP toy...)

2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Rants are not news.

3. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hasbro gave us the Classics and Takara held out on Japan.

That's all I've got to say.

4. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    :horse: 

5. ZecksKitty

ZecksKitty Banned

Hasbro's movie toys came out first too.

So.. go Hasbro.

The only thing that comes to mind right now is '74 BB's windows, and who cares?

Hasbro is giving us correctly colored MP Starscream as well.

6. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

Neither are perfect. I've come to accept that to get it all, you need both worlds. But I've noticed Takara has been slumping recently. All their attention is on weirdish, higher-priced micro-releases (KP, ML, SL) and also MPs. The movie mainline is recycled, packaging and all, from the Hasbro release (minus the Bumblebee clear-window thing) and the Classics were panned completely. So go figure, at least we don't have to debate over which version of a figure is superior (unlike AEC and with one or two exceptions).

7. ZecksKitty

ZecksKitty Banned

Sounds to me like you just need Hasbro, and HLJ every now and then. Not both worlds. >_>

8. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

:horse:  , indeed.

:rip 

9. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

QFT.

And..... did the original poster really list the SHOEFORMERS as evidence of Takara having better products? That's.... interesting.

Personally I think both companies produce great, unique stuff, and I buy from both liberally. The Takara stuff runs me a bit more, sure, 'cause I have to import it.... but I accept that. And I shed a tear of sympathy for our fellow fans who live outside the US or Japan, who have to import EVERYTHING at a premium. If you're a Transformers fan and you live in either the US or Japan.... you can't really complain too much.

Incidentally, what's up with people joining this forum and then immediately posting angry rant-threads? I've been here almost a year and I still wouldn't feel comfortable starting a thread just to gripe. It seems.... sorta impolite for us newbies to do that.

10. ZecksKitty

ZecksKitty Banned

Thank God I'm a hardcore pro user.

11. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    This I'll agree with, except in Starscream's case when Hasbro brought him over to correct the colors. That move was well-met.

12. JusticeSabre

JusticeSabre FLUKE the SYSTEM.

Ebay:
    So wait... There are no Classics in Japan?
    That sucks... but they do have MP Megatron, so...

13. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    And if they do release Classics, I'm hoping they give Megatron a G1 color scheme worth importing. And an anime deco of Astrotrain!

14. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

That would be sweet, I'd order a few of each.

15. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    Repaints are made to satisfy retailer demand and to help recoup the VERY high cost of a toy's mold.
    At the end of the day, collectors do NOT warrant a significant buying percentage for Hasbro to put their full resources into a pure collector line. ANY Transformers product from Hasbro has to meet child safety standards and be sellable to any child (even the $70 Masterpiece figures), which includes, y'know, packaging.

I really don't see how Hasbro is responsible for MP Ultra Magnus. It was a TAKARA repaint, primarily released in a TAKARA market with a few hundred imported into Austrailia by that Hasbro branch.

16. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Hasbro's main activities when it comes to Transformers obviously consist of a) slapping fans in the face, b) getting things all wrong, c) screwing up Takara's toys, d) being lazy (repaints), e) trying to make money, and f) ruining everything forever.

Presumably, somwehere between all those time-consuming exercises, they find the time to maintain a successful, celebrated franchise that is the basis of twenty years of obsession and happiness for the very fans they like to screw over, but how they manage to accomplish this is still a mystery.

17. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    And if it's a mystery to Nevermore... then it is a mystery to all...

18. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    ^ you forgot "raping our childhood." :lol  Awesome list, btw.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  19. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Just deal with!

20. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, first off the Nike Shoes are stictly a TakaraTomy thing and Hasbro has nothing to do with them. Not to say that they couldn't import them if they wanted, but they may not want to spend the money to license the 'shoe forms' from Nike or they just may think that those only appeal to an incredably nich market... which they kind of only do.

Alternators is a different story, but that's just beating a dead horse at this point.

Also, MP Ultra Magnus, if you're upset about him blame Takara. They made him. Hasbro had nothing to do with it. It was made and released by Takara and only Hasbro of Australia got a release as far as Hasbro goes.

Frankly, I think that Hasbro does a fine job with us. Sometimes I do enjoy some of the different things that we get from Takara (and thus I spend a little extra to import those items I see being worth while), but at the same time you can't complain about what Hasbro gives us. Look at Takara's versions of the movie toys... they're totally just re-releases of the Hasbro releases save for the FABs (who have been given normal movie packaging by Takara) and 74 Bumblebee (who has those ugly clear windows). And Classics wasn't even released by Takara. Not to mention that they stopped Binaltech (their version of Alternators) at Skids with a Black Convoy being released as a convention exclusive and any other molds were done through Kiss Players... freaky weird Kiss Players... ugh!

Basically, my point is that they both do some pretty good things and both do some things that make everyone go WTF? So, personally I just pick and choose what I buy from both companies.