Hasbro VS Garage Companies

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by bennydeckersac, Aug 13, 2009.

1. bennydeckersac

bennydeckersac Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have heard that Hasbro has stated that they are not in favor of garage companies making money by selling toys based on their intellectual properties. As "payback", could Hasbro copy the design of a figure or accessory that was created by a garage company and release it themselves? If garage companies are "stealing" Hasbro's ideas, could Hasbro turn around and "steal" the work of a garage company? I am fairly sure Hasbro would not go to the trouble of doing such a thing, since most garage company toys are made specifically because Hasbro did not make a toy based on a certain character, accessory, etc., but if they wanted to, could they legally do it?

2. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Best thing to do probably is seek their legal hounds on these companies and shut them down. I don't think Hasbro has any interest in doing what you described, although, they probably could.

3. -Wreckage-

-Wreckage- I'm Not An Architect

News Credits:
    Why would they want to take their idiotic ideas anyway?

4. Autobot X

Autobot X Too broke for 3P and MP.

Because a lot of people like them, and they sell. Not so idiotic, I guess.:2c: 

5. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

Hasbro could probably prevent the distribution of alot of these products if they wanted too. I'm sure its not worth the time+effort.

6. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hasbro is out for profit, not vengeance.

7. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^that^

/thread

8. bennydeckersac

bennydeckersac Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    By using a garage company's ideas/molds Hasbro could make toys that require little development (cheap). City Commander (and other such toys)have sold like crazy, so if Hasbro copied the design and sold it themselves couldn't they make money off of it? The main goal would still be to make a profit, vengeance would just be a bonus.

9. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    city commander selling like crazy is a total of 2000 or something like that, plus the repaints, a lot of those bought by the same people, hasbro needs to sell a lot more units than that, 2000 is still a shelf-warmer to them

10. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    ^This, garage kits are fan oriented for a reason. Small runs for a small niche market.

The reason Hasbro's raising eyebrows is these small time companies are working on churning out complete figures based on their IP, instead of an add-on kit, and there's PR issues/IP infringement that comes with that.

11. Terrorcon Blot

Terrorcon Blot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ew, copy that ugly thing? City Commander is a horrible thing to want Hasbro to mimic.

12. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    yah i think hasbro might come down that mini MP prime fig and shut down production

13. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hasbro doesn't give a rat's ass about trying to get payback or anything like that. People seam to lack an understanding of what the issue is. Hasbro doesn't care if a small company makes a toy that interacts in some way with a toy they made. They don't care if somebody makes a transforming gas can or a stand that could support a toy they made.

The issue is that Transformers in an intellectual property that is owned by Hasbro. Other companies can not use aspects of that property to sell products and profit from them. This includes character names, faction symbols, official art, or copies of actual toy designs. Though this has gone on for years it is the quality of the product and the volume of sales that the company is doing now. Fan's Project and others are growing as a company purely off the Transformers intellectual property. This is a growing concern for hasbro and a situation they are closely watching.

14. Tm Tarantulas

Tm Tarantulas Herald of Unicron

News Credits:
    if i were hasbro id buy out the good companies like FP and just mass retail the good stuff, like make a 100 dollar set of UM with the CC armor

15. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hasbro has made it clear that their is not a market in accessory packs or add on kits at major retailers. They don't want these designs they just want to protect their property

16. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Just because something is marketable to a certain portion of a fanbase, doesn't mean it's a viable product for Hasbro to produce. Also, there are other regulations that Hasbro is bound to that others do not adhere to. They have a lot of things to consider when creating a product for mass market release. Frankly, I'm continually surprised by what we continue to see from Hasbro.

17. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I thought the designers said they didn't mind when they make odd on kits gear purly at the fan but when they steal IP's things are going to far, I took that to mean they couldn't care less about city commander and the like but the defender might be a problem and the mini masterpice op and arcee could get a court order slapped on them.

18. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

I dont' think so. Whilst FP are making money off ideas based on Hasbro IP, they are still FP's own designs. For Hasbro to use FP's designs would still be IP theft / copyright infringement for which FP could potentially take legal action (futile as that would likely be).

19. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    very true, that and the teletran/nemesis sets, with the autobot and decepticon logos blatently used, fansproject are smarter than that, mini megs guns were cancelled because of being too close to the design of the real thing and they were nervous about using it, same with the mini matrix and stand,

also seeing how a bot that turns into two vehicles and is green and yellow is kinda close to springer, doesn't automatically make it him, it just bears a resemblance to him, it's the fans that have called it that and brought hasbro's eyes closer to them.

the mini mp prime, and arcee are exact copies of the IP instead of just bearing a resemblance to it, i think the other groups are in more trouble than FP at the moment, but that is my personal opinion, not hasbro's, so we'll see what happens

20. rustyshark

rustyshark G1 FTW

well if hasbro copied the garage companies, then the garage companies could sue hasbro which would be more profitable for them than if hasbro sued the garage companies.