Hasbro US product distribution - West to East coast?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Ops_was_a_truck, May 11, 2006.

1. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I've been under the assumption, since I was a kid, that toy distribution usually starts on the west coast of the United States and the toys are gradually trucked onwards from warehouses on the west coast. Is this an accurate assumption?

The only backup I've had for this is that it seems like most of the "new release!" sightings on the TFW front page happen out west - California, Washington and states west. Star Wars action figures sightings seem to happen this way as well (or, as I remember, they did...it's been a while since I collected Star Wars figures.)

I also figured that, since the toys are produced and boxed overseas that their first time on US soil would be the direct route from Asia to the states - across the Pacific.

...I guess I'm asking because I still can't find Alternators Prime. :banghead: 

2. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I dunno... There are times when Ohio or Texas gets stuff before we do out here in California...

3. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Yeah, that's why I'm curious. I see a lot of firsts on the west coast and then, sometimes, you see the random-ass new sighting in like Indiana or somewhere right in the middle of the states.

...my theory is the only thing I've had to justify not seeing new waves of toys. :lol 

4. Razerwire

News Credits:
    I think it's a lottery system...:lol 

5. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

No, it works like this:

1- Any toy that I collect will not be shipped within 80 miles of where I live if I am actively seeking said toy.

2- Any toy that I collect will not be shipped within 80 miles of anywhere I am visiting be it for business or recreation if I am actively seeking said toy.

3 -If I am driving to said destination all store between my origin point and final destination will not have the new toy that I collect if I am actively seeking it shipped to said store.

4- If I am not actively seeking a particular toy, or I do not have the money at a particular time to buy a toy I am seeking, every store I visit will have it in abundance.

6. Razerwire

News Credits:
    :lol  :lol  :lol 

7. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Yeah, I think Hasbro is using Dark_Convoy's method of distribution for their East Coast sales. CURSE YOU, SHIPPING BRANCH OF HASBRO AMERICA!

8. ErikB

ErikB TF Master

shipping is usualy under some sort of a system (i myself still have no clue...) But i'm sure they toys are made at various places and shipped acordingly.

Every new wave of toys will have an early "test" shipment and these tend to be shipped to 4 areas at random:
    East Coast
    West Coast
    South/South West
    North/Mid West

I seem to find these "test" shipments about once a year, maybe a bit longer between them, so possible it rotates to each of the 4 regions, once per year?

9. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

The West Coast thing may be true for a first sighting, but other than that it's usually pretty late around.

10. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

I, too, am in CA and it seems like lately all the new sightings have been more towards the Midwest. I also thought the West Coast was main vein by which new toys entered the U.S., but if it is, then the toys we're currently on the hunt for came in and were immediately transferred to other states. Where's a Hasbro rep. when you need one? Surely, someone knows the answer to the distribution question. Oh great Nevermore, we beseech thee to come forth with the answer to this, one of life's great mysteries.

11. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Argh! Double-post! Sorry!

12. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While the toys come into the country on the west coast, each store handles distribution differently. Walmarts on the west coast seem to get their stuff first but as Ops said, this hasn't been the case as of late.

With Target, the stuff goes to their distribution centers. From there, its shipped out to stores. From my experience, stores usually receive their shipments within a week or so of each other.

TRU is a lot like this as well. When I see reports of new toys showing up on the coasts, I know they'll hit the midwest within a week or two.

Just my 2 cents..

13. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

Doesn't the distribution also depend on the stock on hand at a particular store as well? I remember last year a local Target was sitting on a ton of Ravages and Swindles. That store didn't get any new Alternators until after Christmas.

14. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It seems like it's always the western half of the country that gets stuff first. My area always seems so behind- Soundwave just showed up in my Target last weekend, and alt Prime only today.

15. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I think distribution involves darts, a map, and shots.

Seriously, the way things show up has to involve lots of liquor, or mind altering drugs.

16. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    I think first sightings have much less to do with distribution and much more to do with a store needing to be restocked at the right time when new cases are ready and an internet transfan being at the store at the right time to get the couple of new figures in the case.

17. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Y'know that's a very good point Edgewise. Although I'm not sure about the restocking bit- the new cases will get to the stores at the same regardless if they're new stock, or should anyway. They may not always make it out to the sales floor right away though.

18. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    Ya, I mean to the sales floor. If the shelves need to be restocked right when new cases arrive in the stockroom.

19. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

In that case I'll NEVER see Alt Prime...

I have been checking every store within a 30 min drive of where I live for the last three weeks and not a SINGLE Alt has moved from the shelves in that time. :( 

20. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It is weird because I've found stuff here in Indiana before some of you in California find them..