HASBRO UNIVERSE APPRECIATION THREAD

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Lucas35, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Lucas35

Lucas35 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is a thread to speak well of Hasbro comics and characters that were released by IDW and show out appreciation for it.

Here's my opinion on Hasbro comics:

Revolution and First Striker events were better than previous Transformers events (Chaos, Combiner Wars and Titans Return) and about the other comics that came out after Revolution: Revolutionaries and Rom were great, GI Joe and Micronauts were good and only Mask and Visionaries were bad.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Susha

Susha Well-Known Member

i honestly think hasrbo harmed the IDW transformers narrative several times
    - I still can't forget Slag changing name (because its offensive -.-) and Blitzwing or Astrotrain hiding from megatron that he wears glasses... ...
    - the general mess dark cybertron was and the trend it established
    - combiner wars and titan returns were hasbro requested events that pushed the narrative towards (late) toy sales, with little coordination or regards for the work being done at IDW.

tbh im not sure if first strike and revolutionaries are any better, at this point hasrbo has ruined the reputation of tie inns, I dropped out of reading IDW for a year because of visionaries, mask, gijoe and have only recently caught up, i still, however, have no desire to read about skywarp and gijoe. I'm already fed up with having to read Barber especially during 'events' which have really proven largely uninteresting.

3. Fallout

Fallout ꧁꧂

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    oh yeah, MASK was a thing.

4. Dire 51

Dire 51 Well-Known Member

I appreciate that the hasbro universe is GONE.

• Like Like x 4
  5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, I totally appreciate that they turned their great TF continuity into a trainwreck to the point they now have to reboot. What an awesome thing the Hasbro shared universe was. I really appreciate it.

• Like Like x 7
  6. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Miniautoquintessoboticon

I liked Rom and Micronauts for fleshing out the universe, making it feel like there were things other than the Transformers and their conflict going on. It helped that both series were new additions to the continuity that didn't require shoehorned retcons, like GI Joe. I think what bogs it all down is how, despite trying to create a larger shared universe where not everything needs to be about Cybertron, everything is still about Cybertron. Dire Wraiths exist as a byproduct of Unicron's birth. Solstar Knight armor is made from Regenesis Ore created by Shockwave. Microspace is a creation of Micronus Prime.

...I guess what I'm trying to say is, Rom and Micronauts worked as part of a shared universe with Transformers. GI Joe didn't. Revolutionaries was a good story that got hampered by ties to so-so events which lead to outright bad stories (MASK and Visionaries).

• Like Like x 2
  7. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    Rom was cool.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Lucas35

News Credits:
    This is a thread of appreciation and it is not just to speak badly.

And about the shared universe they DO NOT AFFECT Transformers comics! The only thing that they affected was that the main human organization changed from EDC to GI Joe.

You read exRID after Revolution and the Transformers tie-ins (which was better than the Transformers events) and then you had to read Optimus Prime and Revolutionaries after First Strike and then continue reading Optimus Prime until you get to Unicron and only. You were not required to read the other comics (there were Revolutionaries you had to read but it was a Transformers comic).

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I said thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Susha

Susha Well-Known Member

Which is what many here were saying at the time of mtmte #1 (the way Roberts/Furman wanted to do it WAS THE RIGHT WAY)
    I'm talking about
    • Rock Lords appearing in the crowds of cybertron,
    • Cy-kill in meg origin
    • or fleshing star saber, dai atlas, and things like the diaclone tribe,

They could have tied inn franchises that had an actual relation with tf, like beastformers/battlebeasts, go bots, rock lords, diaclone based stories (like the insecticons)
    AND INSTEAD PREVENTED THE WRITERS FROM DOING THEIR THING AND FORCED THEM TO DO IT IN A WAY THAT WOULD SELL THEIR TOYS (and wreck the mythos - again astrotrain hiding from megs he wears glasses.... ...)

yes indeed... ty hasbro

oh yes, we finally had writers the fandom respected (furman/roche/roberts) but Barber got to be CEO, why? It smells of Hasbro tbh

I'm sorry but then I might have confused the notions of marketing and discussing/debating. This is a thread, if an opinion is on topic, and not offensive, you can't just dismiss it because its not 'PROPAGANDA'....

11. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Mopey Sea Urchin

Ebay:
    It's pretty well known at this point that Hasbro had little to do with the IDW Hasbroverse. The entire concept from inception to execution was IDW.

Transformers, G.I. Joe, and other Hasbro characters come together for IDW's 'Revolution'

As for why IDW didn't use any of those IPs you discussed (Go-bots, Rock Lords, Beastformers), they likely didn't have the license at the time, didn't want to have the license at the time, or couldn't/didn't talk to the license holders for approval to merge them into the Hasbroverse.

I don't like the Hasbroverse either. It was an honest attempt at something big, but it failed for a variety of reasons which showed a complete misunderstanding on the mentality that drove a lot of these old IPs. However, to stand there and blame Hasbro for something that they rubber stamped at most is not placing culpability at the proper feet.

12. Susha

Susha Well-Known Member

You didn''t read

Rock Lords cameo in mtmte #1
    and Go-bots feature in Megatron Origins.
    Hasrbo wanted Dark Cybertron, Combiner Wars, and Titan Returns... who cares if first strike/ revolutionaries isnt their call, they already made a mess of the IDW verse with dark cybertron.
    also, if you don't remember, before dark cybertron, we had IDW comics sold with hasbro generations figures; which coincides to when hasbro started noticing the attention MtmtE was getting and jumped on the wagon.

13. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Mopey Sea Urchin

Ebay:
    I did read. You're blaming Hasbro for the Hasbroverse. That had basically nothing to do with them. They had nothing to do with Dark Cybertron either.

Most of the things you cited were merely cameos - art easter eggs snuck in for shits and grins. Those pack in comics were a marketing gimmick, usually with exclusive covers. Hasbro didn't have very much to do with the contents. Many of them had almost nothing to do with the character they were packed in with.

I find it hard to track your arguments, and that's saying something given what I do for a living. Notwithstanding this, you're clearly of your own mind with how you see things, particularly regarding to licensing, marketing, and who influences what between IDW and Hasbro. That said, I'll submit to you that everything you're claiming has been utterly picked apart to death on these boards, examined, and basically found wanting.

I'm certain other individuals such as @SouthtownKid would be more than happy to discuss with you how much influence/direction IDW has had on the franchise, or vice versa. I'm not interested in discussing it with you.

14. Susha

Susha Well-Known Member

so I'm sorry your argument is that the toys sold with the comics was a IDW pushed initiative instead of Hasbro?
    or that Dark Cybertron was wanted by IDW and not pushed by Hasbro? and that the Combiner War event had nothing to do with the toys?
    I'm sorry if you find it hard to track these arguments but there are pretty down to the point.
    I also remember Roberts saying he wasn't eager about the crossover (talking about dark cybertron) but I won't bother tracking that down, as you seem hell bent on finding quotations.

but apparently.. you are.. :cool:  cheer up?!

edit: also you seem to have gotten this the wrong way round, and I'm seeing this now but were saying the same thing...
    but: to be precise. the rock lord, go bot cameos where not on covers and were asked by Furman and Roberts (besides megatron origin is phase 1 and so far from the late mtmte era)
    In my initial post there is a parenthesis with caps saying 'how Roberts did it'
    Your accusing me of claiming hasbro pushed it.
    No, and I liked it then, i stopped liking it after combiner wars. which I think we can agree was at the very least more hasbro involved (given the connection with the toy line)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  15. Lucas35

News Credits:
    About the shared universe comics Hasbro was the following that happened from the interviews I read:

The IDW began to launch Rom comics and Micronauts and Barber in a conversation with their authors began to talk about how they played with different characters of Hasbro together and then they had the idea of creating a shared universes that neither Marvel and DC that has Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman together in the same world and each one has different origins, styles and genres, and it would all start with a crossover. Hasbro's only warrant was that they should make three annual crossovers and the second year should be about humans invading Cybertron.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Zylly103

Zylly103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Rom and Micronauts were both good comics, though I don't know how much they benefited from being in a shared universe.

GI JOE, on the other hand, benefited tremendously from it. The retooled GI JOE with Skywarp and later Matt Trakker was the most fun Joe's been in ages, with balls to the walls crazy science fiction evocative of the Sunbow cartoon. Revolutionaries had a similar vibe that was just "we're just gonna throw out all the crazy shit we've accumulated and play with it" fun.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Miniautoquintessoboticon

I'd say, between the two, Rom benefited the most. The Solstar Order helped flesh out the universe, and we got a great crossover out of it in Shining Armor. Micronauts was less necessary to this, but their whole shtick is being flung from their universe into another, so it still works out in the long run.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Boatformer

Boatformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Whenever people say "GI Joe doesn't fit with Transformers", I'm just, like... what? The Hasbroverse's GI Joe are literally The EDC If Their Individual Members Had Codenames And Personalities.

I think Micronauts benefited a lot from sharing a universe with Rom, in that joining him for Rom and the Micronauts finally gave their meandering story the kick up the arse it needed ever since they arrived on Earth.

Absolutely agreed on Joe and Revolutionaries, and I think Revolution was a whole lot of fun that wasn't trying to be more than it needed to - which, incidentally, means it's entirely skippable if you don't care about the other franchises.

First Strike was... a misstep. The basic idea was fine, but 1) Making an event centered on GI Joe characters only have repercussions for the Transformers was pretty silly, and 2) Derailing it all to promote Visionaries in the last issue were really bad ideas.

TF/Visionaries was just. Egh. I don't think Mags is a BAD writer (though I'm not exactly her biggest fan), but this wasn't the story she was planning when she first got brought on board, and it shows. So on top of editorial miscommunication, mandated shock deaths, and the Visionaries feeling entirely out of place in the universe, it was just a kind of weak story in general.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  19. Zylly103

Zylly103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd honestly somehow forgotten about Shining Armor when I made that post, and you're absolutely correct. Stardrive was a great character and that was a really great mini-series.

I didn't find Micronauts meandering myself, but I'll agree that they needed a shade more focus. Especially since bits of it seemed to be downplaying what they'd left behind when they got to Earth.

First Stike... yeah. Feels like it needed more impact and relevance.

And Visionaries was... not good. There was certainly potential in a society organized around magic conflicting with a society made of pure technology, but it was pretty poorly executed, as you say.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Rom fitting in with TF worked very well, and Shining Armor is one of the better series in the IDW verse, being a mid-war story unlike most and dealing with TF/Alien reactions more than most.

Visionaries, eh, felt like it was a sequel to a stand alone that didn't exist. I didn't hate it but it wasn't needed. Still more interesting than MASK.

• Like Like x 1