Hasbro TV: Good excuse to bring over Japanese shows?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Macross7, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well Hasbro is going to have its own channel next year. Now they have to fill it with shows. Besides the new TF, GIJoe & My Little Pony, I'd expect them to show the older TF & GIJoe shows and whatever other shows they own. Unless they have multiple episodes a day, the might still have to look around for other shows to fill time with.

So, the question is: Do you think it is possible that Hasbro will import the Japanese Transformers shows (2 Beast Wars shows & 3 G1 shows)? While they will have to dub them, it has to be cheaper than creating shows from scratch. These would also have the added benefit of being 'brand new' shows for many people and not just reruns like most other shows Hasbro will likely show.

As for toys, I'm sure many of the Beast Wars molds are still usable. I don't think they would reissue G1 molds in the main line (exclusives maybe) but they could make all new toys based on the show's characters. Even if they don't put out full toy lines for these imported shows, I'm sure Hasbro would get more viewers for the 'new' TF epsiodes than they would with another rerun of the Beast Machines series.

2. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    God I hope not... XD

3. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Deal breaker.

4. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    as long as the Dub is done well id be all for it

5. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's not like this is some completely 'blank' new network that need to be filled with programming from scratch. It is/was "Discovery Kids" I think, and will undoubtedly carry over much of their programs (or at least successful ones)

Very unlikely any older Japanese-based TF series will be carried over, especially if more money is required to dub them. I could maybe see some of the older TF series (G1, BW, and others) conceivably appearing as filler programming, and as ersatz advertising for future "Universe" lines.

6. aurascope

aurascope Kitbash Resource Indexer

Ebay:
    What about just subbing it?
    The original Japanese voice actors were professionals.

7. aurascope

aurascope Kitbash Resource Indexer

Ebay:
    What about just subbing it?
    The original Japanese voice actors were professionals.

8. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    No. Please no.

9. Macross7

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ?????

You do realize that the Hasbro channel is going to be watched mainly by kids. I pretty sure in the history of US television, there has never been an imported show for kids to be the main audience and just subbed it.

10. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

It would be pretty cool if it happened, but it never will. There's just very little reason for Hasbro to port the the shows. If they ever need program filler, there's already so much at their disposal.

I hope they do show their entire library of Sunbow shows. Maybe they can drum up interest in more of their properties. It could lead to reboots and new toy lines from the likes of Inhumanoids, Visionaries, Robotix, and Jem (yes I kind of liked Jem too).

11. Macross7

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There is advertising $$ they would get and ratings would probably be higher for 'brand new' TF shows than just older shows being shown again. While I don't have cable, I would tune in for 'new' TF much more likely than I would for the older shows I've seen.

DVD sales. Besides kids buying them, many TF fans would pick them up. Put the Japanese track on there for those who like subs.

Toy sales. As said before, the BW2/Neo toy molds are probably still good and could be used to make a run of toys. These 'new' shows could help drive sales.

12. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

If they were really really well dubbed, I would love to see Targetmasters and Masterforce. I'm barely getting into Victory right now, so far not liking it quite as much, but that'd be cool too. It'd have to be a REALLY good dub though.

13. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Remind me: Wasn't there already a dubbed version of Masterforce/some other series that replaced everyone's names with really stupid names?

14. Deadpool.

Deadpool. I want my bird.

News Credits:
    Personally, I would prefer the original audio track with english subtitles. Never really fancied dubbing.

Yeah, the StarTV dubs.

Blaster = BILLY!
    Matrix = Power Pack

etc.

15. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    I don't even know that I could transform Mach-kick without choking on him, and you want Hasbro to import Japanese TF lines, and sell them to children?!

16. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    Well, Bandai tried the same thing with Gundam. They started Gundam Wing, which was sucessful, then tried bringing over 0079 Gundam, and it bombed and well, look at Gundam in America now.
    I highly doubt we'll see Hasbro dub over old Transformers shows, although it would be cool.

17. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

subs would be cool for us, less cool for kids. the subbed jap shows defiantly won't happen.

if they go to the trouble of importing a cartoon for children it'll be dubbed, but they're unlikely to bother importing a 25 year old japanese kids show that doesn't really promote any of their current TF lines, then paying to redub it. doesn't make financial sense.

18. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You'd have to convince TV executives that children are capable of reading first. :) 

19. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree with this. I can see these shows + the AEC trilogy being aired to go along with a miscellaneous Universe 1.0 style repaint line.

20. Attacker_Prime

Attacker_Prime Optimus Prime forever

I'm in for that as long as it's not like RID...

CANNONS O' DOOM!!! -pew pew pew-
    NAME FOR ALL MY WEAPONS! -pew pew pew-
    ALL MY WEAPONS AGAIN! -pew pew pew-

Don't get me wrong, I loved R.I.D. but it could've been SO much better without things like that. Though, that'd take new toys to make, as which kid is gonna buy an expensive Star Saber with nearly no articulation, and just 50% show accuracy? I'd rather rerun Animated, as NEW Animated toys are coming out. I'd also rerun G1, to promote the Classics/Universe. Oh, and put in the commercials every TF3 trailer. That would be better.