Hasbro toy sizes

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NEST SOLDIER, Nov 26, 2011.

1. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

I couldn't find a thread on this, so I'd like to bring up this subject which has kept my attention since June. Like the shrinking economy, Hasbro shrunk the sizes of their DOTM line deluxe and voyager class toys this year. Does anyone know why?

Honestly, I think it sucks. I realize that scale has not been one of Hasbro's finer skillsets, but I thought the previous lines did a better job of staying as close to scale as possible.

When measuring the figures, I almost always used Leader Optimus as a standard, then worked down from there.

In previous lines, I found that only Ratchet and Jazz were really disproportionate to the other Autobots.

In the DOTM deluxe line, the Voyager Optimus, deluxe Ratchet, and the deluxe Ironhide( HFTD) are closer in scale than the cars are. Crankcase is also pretty close to actual scale when compared to voyager Optimus.

I also found that the figures that came with the HA could be used as a standard for measuring height. If you consider them to be exactly 6' tall representations, then they show that Leader Optimus is right on the money, while the voyager class Ironhide from movie one is close to normal also.

Just my personal take and observation on this.:2c: 

2. tfmad2010

tfmad2010 Oh Hai Internet!

News Credits:
    Does this need explaining?

3. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

They're smaller because of having the Mechtech weapon accessories. Same amount of plastic as before, just a bit of it is going into something outside of the figure itself and making that function.

I don't know why some of the figures are relatively sparse on paint, however.

4. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    This has been brought up before. In fact, there was huge uproar about it when the DotM toys were first seen.

IIRC, it's a mix of MechTech weapons taking a sizable chunk out of the total plastic used for the toy and the economy making plastic more expensive.

5. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

It will be interesting to see what size the new molds are post-DotM. Come to think of it, how are the Prime figures, size-wise? I've not had any in hand to really compare them.

6. 2ndSndWve

2ndSndWve Hen... Shin!

News Credits:
    Idk, but I've got BB on the way and I'll compare him to some standards when he arrives

7. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Oil prices make both the plastic and the freight a lot more expensive but the big 5 will not let them raise prices much so they have to drop paint (like the wheelhubs) and make things smaller they also drill loads of gaps into the moulds to use less plastic this is very visible on the Cyberverse Ark playset and Cyberverse Guzzle.

Only a few of them are so tiny it looks odd such as DOTM Ratchet Bumblebee just looks small as HFTD Bumblebee was quite big. to me he actually seems like he's the same size as Classics Thundercracker over all. and he is bigger than RTS Optimus too.

8. SolidSnake2017

SolidSnake2017 Well-Known Member

I think hasbro is trying to lower the cost of figures in general to make people more likely to buy. In particular the push with cyberverse to make the smaller figures more popular seems to fall in line with the idea that they are trying to gain more customers through lower end toys rather than rely on bigger voyager and leader classes. A parent is a lot more likely to buy a toy if its under ten bucks and so if they can sell the majority of their figures in that bracket then its better for Hasbro in the long run. I almost feel at times that the larger figures are just treats for hardcore fans rather than trying to attract the usual 3-12 year old base.