Hasbro Toy Shop offering afa graded alternators Hot Rod?!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by BigBadBoombox, Jan 13, 2009.

1. BigBadBoombox

BigBadBoombox Boombox Cakes superior!

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    They've done it a couple of times, I think. Personally I think it's ridiculous.

3. BigBadBoombox

4. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yeah...they have a lot of g.i. joes too. ridiculous.

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ridiculous is as ridiculous does. Graded figures are a racket.

6. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Aww not this again!

I remember the last time they tried to pull this, they got a lot of flak for it. Well, that and the boards blew up with anger from those who were unable to obtain these toys. Especially after the Cobra Commander mix-up with the black and blue suits, things could get ugly again.

If there's still a good demand for these exclusive items, then why not just make them again, but make them made to order like Mattycollector does. That way there's little to no leftover stock, and if someone decides to cancel their order then they have to pay a cancellation charge to make up for the sales loss.

7. karamazov80

karamazov80 Million Dollar Champion

I don't collect carded figures to begin with, so I don't really care, but if people are willing to pay a certain price for something, and Hasbro is willing to sell it for that price, then what is so "ridiculous" about it? If nobody buys, Hasbro will probably lower the price until someone will pay. Exploiting dummi. . .er, people who will pay lots of money for pristine, unopened toys is a way to make money, just like anything else. The fact that Hasbro is the producer, and can cherry pick items for grading might affect the supply/value of these things, but so what?

8. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They offered these about a year ago and it sold out. I guess they got new stock and AFA'ed them. I remember some guy ordering one from Hasbro and then promptly ebayed it. The ending price was about the same price that HTS sold it for. So add shipping and ebay fees and the guy probably lost some money.

9. karamazov80

karamazov80 Million Dollar Champion

Another thing about "new" AFA graded toys is, in the long run, I don't see them being worth all that much. AFA-graded toys from the mid-1980s are worth so much because the toys from that time in so great a condition are rare. There weren't teeming hordes of toy collectors like we have nowadays, who will buy whole unopened cases with no intention of opening them.

10. CNCBrawl56

CNCBrawl56 TRU Commander

Ebay:
    does anyone know if Hasbro Toy Shop accepts checks?

oh and this graded crap is ridiculous, people can just pay for the $24.99 one.

11. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

This is why people say it's ridiculous. Hasbro is the original producer of the items in the first place. For all we know, they can just go to the factory, produce a few hundred Rodimi, and pretend it's a few years old. I'm not sure if they would do that, but they could. I tink the very concept of AFA grading is rather ridiculous. However, I can see the argument that a high-quality item might need some extra insurance. I can imagine AFA being a very credible factor in giving you clout when stating an asking price for a secondhand sale. When the item comes from the producer itself, it's just a shameless rip-off.

And, unfortunately, people pay these outrageous prices because it's the only way to get an Alternator Rodimus.

To put it another way: Why should anyone accept a non-quality product directly from Hasbro? Imagine if you purchased an Onslaught for $25, and it was a dented, scratched piece of crap. Would you want to hear Hasbro (who makes Onslaughts) say: "Oh, you can get it mint quality for an extra $300 if you get the AFA version."

12. CNCBrawl56

CNCBrawl56 TRU Commander

Ebay:
    does anyone know if Hasbro Toy Shop accepts checks?

13. BigBadBoombox

Sorry if I knocked on the beehive....but i do believe that that afa grading is still ridiculous from the manufacturer as this could be just shady dealings. Kinda reminds me of the current US economy crisis, instead of printing more money, it's rodi's and nemesis's with pristine packaging. They want 200+ of my money give me a scale toy of animated Omega supreme.