HASBRO to update Trademarks for Starscream and Demolisher

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Mastergeorge, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Mastergeorge

Mastergeorge I should burn my wallet.

News Credits:
    This time they report that renewal documentation for the names of Starscream and Demolisher have been submitted recently, as their five year update requirement is approaching. In the past month updates have also been filed for the Trademark names of

Brawn

Downshift

Perceptor

Thundercracker

and Highwire, just to name a few.

Transformers at the moon. Trademarks

2. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    They're also trying to get "Autobot Cosmos" (note the "Autobot" prefix again).

But they're trying to get "Brawn" by himself, which I'd consider rather hard to accomplish.

Starscream and Demolishor are just standard renewals (basically, Hasbro have those names registered for five years, so they just have tot ell the USPTO "we indend to use these names further"). Really just standard procedure.

Downshift has also been registered since 2003, as have Thundercracker, Perceptor and High Wire. That's really just a lot of boring standard procedure going on.

The only interesting one of the batch is "Brawn", who appears to be finally proceeding after a few problems a few weeks ago. Everything else is nothing out of the ordinary, has been registered by Hasbro years ago and is only subject to standard legal procedure, i.e. archiving, review and what else. Nothing huge going on with those names.

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Interesting. Would be nice to see some of the names they keep up to date regularly used at some point in the next year or so. These are the one's that catch my eye and interest me:

-Slag
    -Autobot Wheelie
    -Rail Racer

It's somewhat interesting to see Transformers: Hybrids again. I remember them trademarking that a while back, but I never did see it in use since then.

Edit: We know that Wheelie is supposed to be getting a Legends figure, but it would be nice to also see Slag and Rail Racer used again. Especially if it meant we were getting a reissue of Rail Racer. That would be awesome, imo, though somehow I doubt that it'll ever happen.

4. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Never know, we could see that planned Universe 1.0 repaint giftset eventually released as a store or TF club exclusive...

5. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I forgot they had planned a repaint of them for the first Universe line. Personally if they do make them, I hope they AREN'T Club Exclusives. I'd rather just see reissues of the originals, and as a three-pack. Maybe as a Target Exclusive if they have to.

6. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Slag will never be used in a mainstream line with release in Europe as "slag" is considered an offensive slang word in the UK.

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Yup, that one's our fault.

I'd also not count on seeing Slapper again for the same reasons. Similar slang meaning too!

8. Transfan2

Transfan2 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Here is my suggestion if they were ever to do 5 Dinobots in a line:
    Grimlock, Snarl, Swoop, Triceradon, and Sludge.
    ====
    Animated Wise (What if for now): Grimlock, Snarl, Swoop, Sludge, and Striker.
    ====
    I hope someday Hasbro considers using "Motorcrasher" as a replacement for the (current) lost Motormaster name which I did suggest to them at Botcon 08 via a letter.
    ====
    Slapper's Replacement Name...I save that for another time.

-TF2

9. Mastergeorge

Mastergeorge I should burn my wallet.

News Credits:
    Slapper's Replacement name. How bout Smacker or Slipper

10. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    i'm surprised they haven't got Starscream as a ® by now, Optimus Prime is, right?

11. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Brawn.

Awesome.

12. Nevermore

News Credits:
    What are you talking about? Hasbro have Optimus Prime safely registered ever since 1985 (first toy to sport an ® after the name on the packaging was Powermaster Prime from 1988), and Starscream has been registered since 2003, as first seen in this toy's instructions and on this toy's packaging.

Again: With the exception of "Brawn", all the names mentioned at the beginning of this threads are standard renewals of already registered names.

Of all the 1984 toys' names, Hasbro currently have "Optimus Prime", "Ironhide", "Mirage", "Prowl", "Sunstreaker", "Wheeljack", "Cliffjumper", "Megatron", "Starscream", "Skywarp", "Thundercracker", "Soundwave", "Buzzsaw" and "Laserbeak" registered.

Hound, Jazz, Ratchet and Frenzy are registered under the modified names "Autobot Hound", "Autobot Jazz", "Autobot Ratchet" and "Decepticon Frenzy".

Registration attempts for "Brawn" and "Sideswipe" are currently pending (Hasbro already have the modified names "X-Brawn" and "Side Swipe" registered).

Hasbro have also attempted to register "Bumblebee" and "Windcharger", but abandoned both attempts (Windcharger probably because they had no intention of further use, Bumblebee because the registration attempt was contested). They're currently using Bumblebee as a plain trademark, possibly in an attempt to build a stronger case for another registration attempt.

"Huffer", "Ravage" and "Decepticon Rumble" have all recently been used as plain trademarks with no registration attempts.

The only names confirmed to be unavailable are "Bluestreak" and "Trailbreaker", although Hasbro have the substitute name "Silverstreak" registered for the former.

The only name that's a big question mark right now is "Gears", although from a little research I would claim that Hasbro would be probably able to register it as "Autobot Gears".

13. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Introducing the new dinobots - Slag, Snog, Gob, Git, and Wanker.

14. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    i thought the op/early posts was implying all of these were standard ™s rather then ® registered trademarks, apparently it was my misunderstanding that once you had something as a registered Trademark it lasted a lot longer then a standard ™, like 20 years or something ~ it's been a long time since my business law class :)  now i just use whichever i'm told.

15. Darth Rodimus

Darth Rodimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Do they have Wheeljack? I mean in Energon, there was Downshift, and hes like a classics Wheeljack, yet they use it for both energon and cybertron, well Downshift is up there anyways so maybe we'll get wheeljack that way.

16. Nevermore

News Credits:
    The Energon toy was named "Downshift" because there was already an Armada toy named "Wheeljack", which was a different character.

Hasbro have the name "Wheeljack" registered since 2003. The last toy to use the name (thus far) was this one. (Which means they'd better use the name again soon.)

17. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I think they'll be using it here soon. Something to the point of "not ready to talk about it yet" was said to the question of any future Wheeljack figures during the panel at SDCC. What line he'll end up in is up for speculation, but it would be nice to see him get a new mold in the Universe line, if not a retool/repaint from the Sunstreaker mold.

18. Darth Rodimus

Darth Rodimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanx for clearing that up, yah they better, wheeljack kicks too much slag:rock