Hasbro Threaten Fan Sites

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by zeroomegazx, Apr 25, 2012.

1. zeroomegazx

zeroomegazx I'm watching you...

News Credits:
    I wanted to re-post this news from Kotaku. I realize it doesn't have anything to do with Transformers on the outside, however it DOES seem to indicate that Hasbro is doing some really weird IP stuff at the moment and I think this story has a lot to do with the Artists Alley and 3rd party products AS WELL as the Transformer Prime Tablet Debacle, most likely the outcome of them not protecting their IP. This could mean bad things for TF Fan sites posting proto's as well and is another reason why I posted this.

Hasbro Threaten Nerf Gun Blogger, Act Like Total Dicks

2. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    Hasbro does realise they just commited an act of Fraud right?

3. Baccala1976

Baccala1976 Well-Known Member

It's official: Hasbro turns into total toolbags!

4. TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Psssh. That happens all the time. It happens to apple, microsoft, google, most of the big name tech companies too. Some of them bitch and whine about it like 2 year old brats, some just shrug it off and think "hey, free publicity". Which do you want to be hasbro?

5. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

They really are screwing the pooch lately. They are dragging their reputation through the mud. I haven't bought a single toy from them since FEs were canceled. The botcon mess, FEs, collectors club debacle. This completist doesn't care anymore. Not that Hasbro cares either.

6. TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't even want to get started with the whole third party thing. Let's just say that if hasbro put out a devastator that was even close in awesomeness to giant or herc, instead of that dung heap they keep showing pictures of from FOC, then there wouldn't be a problem.

7. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

8. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    If that article above is accurate about the Nerf Guns, what's to stop some Hasbro lawyer from showing up at the Botcon 3rd Party Party and just confiscating everything? I mean - they've been advertising that they're going to have 3rd party stuff right there.

I hope it DOESN'T happen - but if they went through that over a Nerf Gun, well shit...

9. phoenix88

phoenix88 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not gonna get involved with this, because frankly i dont want to, but i'll say one thing and leave. I'm subscribing to Vangelus' thought he mention on a recent episode of WTF@TFW, which is that there's either some new guy in Hasbro legal trying to make his mark and stand out amongst everyone else in the company, or that there's a new policy at work over at Hasbro legal.

10. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    But they aren't doing it over a third party Nerf gun, they are trying to find out who is leaking unannounced and upcoming designs from the factory.

Two totally different things.

The equivalent of this in TF is Hasbro going after someone who got their hands on an unreleased and future Prime toy, not a third party or someone making unofficial artwork.

11. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    Right, if we were comparing apples to apples - I was merely refering to the lengths they'd go to. I understand it's not the same situation - I'm just saying that if they'd dragged a physical address out of someone on a blog and took a bus / flew / otherwise showed up at their residence over a Nerf Gun / corporate leaks, what's to stop them from just walking upstairs at a con where they already are and popping into a 3rd Party party in a hotel room at a con where they're trying to ban 3rd party items already. From that article, we know they read blogs and we know they're paying attention - why would they NOT show up at this party and try to make their mark? It's not like it hasn't been advertised all over this site, it's not a big secret - I could see them popping in to check it out.

12. zeroomegazx

News Credits:
    I realize prototype pics are kinda a touchy subject here but more the the point they really did screw the website by falsifying their approach to it. I'd hate to see that happen to TFW or any other Fan site, very shady of them.

13. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

I'm going to email a bad debtor with an offer of free stuff if he gives me his address!

Thanks Hasbro, I finally learnt something from Transformers... or Nerf.

14. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    The TCC isn't Hasbro though. Their opinions are their own.

The current initiative going on is Hasbro.

All the same, I'm sorta reminded of how back when Half Life 2's source code got leaked, and the guy who'd hacked Valve contacted them, Gabe Newell was trying to trick the guy into coming to the US for a job interview so the FBI could nab him. (German authorities got wind of his plan before he carried it out though)

15. zeroomegazx

News Credits:
    Leaked source code is quite a bit more hurtful than a picture of a toy though. Also I <3 Valve.

16. koh4711

koh4711 King of Hearts

Ebay:
    I think telling the guy he was getting free stuff was pretty shady, but at the same time, I don't blame Hasbro for wanting to crack down on the stuff that's walking out of the factories.

It seems like a lot of companies are getting more and more strict with their IP protection, as I know Marvel has been cracking down on things a little more as well. I don't know if that's just an effect of the economy or if there was a legal ruling at some point that has these companies scared.

17. zeroomegazx

News Credits:
    What I don't get in cases like this that the ONLY people who bother to go to Nerf, Transformer, or Otherwise fansites are hardcore fans not CHILDREN. Now since CHILDREN are the suppoesd target market that gives them 90%+ of their profit why do they care about the tiny minority that is the hardcore fans? Does hasbro really think a ton of kids are going to TFW looking at prototypes and complaining about them?

18. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Unquestionably underhanded tactics from Hasbro involved here, no doubt.

That said, can't make myself feel too sorry for a guy who buys stuff from a Chinese auction site that's almost certainly stolen merchandise in order to get internet geek credit by doing advance reviews and then gets the legal ramifications of doing so dropped on him. Wouldn't mind seeing it happen a bit more often.

19. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    I'm less upset about that, and more upset about the fact they essentially tricked him into giving them his address.

And it should be pointed out that Hasbro didn't go after him for buying the figures, which they could have legally done.

20. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    There was some suggestion Hasbro's attempts to crack down on 3rd parties didn't go nearly as well as they hoped.

Perhaps this explains some of their more aggressive legal activity recently.

And it's apparent they have in the past muscled people who reveal product information sooner than they want it public.