Hasbro,that ain't the only reason for poor DOTM toy sales.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Avengers, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Avengers

Avengers Banned

Their wasn't only one reason like you keep stating.

The DOTM didn't fail & do poorly in sales. Only due to one reason. you keep insisting it was due to the same characters gettting repeative newer toys.

Other more important reasons for DOTM's toy line poor sales will be listed. In this Thread by myself & other members.

My reasons why the DOTM toys had poor toy sales.

Their were far too many smaller toys & not enough bigger toys. the smaller toys out numbered the bigger toys 9 to 1. The smaller toys i'm referring to is everything smaller than deluxes.

Bumblebee's toy got over produced in the new molds & repaints. over loading bumblebee in case wave assortments. caused peg & shelf warmers in stores. this caused stores not to order newer case assortment waves. This caused newer figures in the last assortment case waves to get cancelled.

Overloading DOTM Assortment waves with 2007 & ROTF repaints. created too many pegs & shelf warmers.

The DOTM toys designs,sculpt & engineering wasn't as great compared to the ROTF & 2007 Movie toys.

2. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

I think that they had poor toy sales because of poor grammar, sentence structure, and capitalization.

... also they said that they didn't have poor sales and that DotM was one of their lines that actually exceeded expectations so... yeah.

3. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    :lol 

I think Hasbro said this was one of the reasons, not the whole reason.

4. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

I just want to point out that this is what hasbro meant with characters that have gotten to many toys. Other than that i think DOTM had some fantastic figures even if they needed some paint. Problem is it gets harder to sell Bees and Voyager Ironhide and Optimus after 4 years of movie toys.

5. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I definitely believe the poorer toy sales were in large part, a majority part, due to the same characters, not JUST Bumblebee ... but obviously he's a big case.

Those characters have been on the shelves since 2007 ... that's a long time.

6. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    All right! TF4 will star Ultra Magnus, Kup, First Aid, Cliffjumper, and Sunstreaker!

Who will all be remolds of Optimus, Ironhide, Ratchet, Bumblebee, and Sideswipe...

7. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

Seriously. I'm not one for being a grammar Nazi just so as to correct someone for insubstantial issues. But, in this case, I literally can't be bothered to try and figure out what OP is saying. OP would have been better off drawing us a series of pictures. That also would have been a lot more entertaining for everyone.

8. jru42287

jru42287 Where are my testicles, Summer?

News Credits:
    They could've definitely gone more lightly on the Bee/Optimus loading of the case assortments. Some other new molds would have been awesome too. Like the rest of the Dreads, or Brains, or hell, even actually releasing Soundwave and Wheeljack in an earlier wave. It was stupid to put so many repaints in the first few waves too. And all the repaints were just that. Repaints. What happened to the head retools to at least make them different characters (a la Dead End from RotF Sideways, or Sideswipe into Swerve)?

9. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What?

First, who is the "you" that you keep referring to in your first few sentences? It sounds like you're responding to someone specific in another thread, but started a whole new thread for no particular reason.

Second, you said the same characters getting new toys in a repetitive manner wasn't the cause of DotM's supposed poor sales...and then you get into Bumblebee getting into too many toys anyways.

Third, what '07 and RotF repaints? Those were limited to exclusives and Cyberverse unless you lived in Japan (blue Arcee, gray Air Raid, Vortex, the two new Leader Optimus toys), where a few more came out that didn't in the US.

As mentioned above, DotM apparently did well according to Hasbro. That said, with fewer toys and a bit fewer paint aps on releases, I don't think they spent as much to make that line as they did RotF. Did the line meet collectors' expectations, especially after the run of successful toys from RotF? Probably not. Did retailers, in hindsight, probably wish they hadn't bought so much of the early waves to stock? Probably.

Beyond that, I don't know what the hell you're getting at, though yeah punctuation does help there.

10. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The good thing is I think Hasbro has finally realized that the Reign of Bumblebee is over. I've been a huge supporter of the yellow bug, but his time is done now. Look at the FE case of deluxes being release this winter: no Bumblebee.

11. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    E
    First paragraph: Which part of Hasbro's statement that large toys are not selling as they would have hoped did you not understand?

Second paragraph: Blanket statement. There are a few toys in the DOTM line that are compatative to ROTF offerings.

But since you claimed at least twice in the past that Prime Ironhide and HFTD Ironhide are
    basically the same mold, perhaps your ability to compare toys from one line to another is lacking.

12. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    I suspect this "Hasbro" isn't the toy company, but rather a voice in the OP's head. We better let them sort this out.

13. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So, anyone going to post that meme image "Oh look, it's this topic again." XD

14. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    According to OP: One off-the-cuff mention at a business show = insisting over and over.

15. Have A Cygar

Have A Cygar Well-Known Member

Also, you keep using 'their' when you mean 'there'.

16. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

DotM did well because retailers bought them up. Has nothing to do with whether or not they sold off store shelves. That's just how the retailer gets a return on its investment.

Hasbro sells to retailers.

Every time we go to a store and buy a toy, that money does not go to Hasbro.

17. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

The thing with this topic that gets me is that DOTM really had some shining stars of figures. Skyhammer, Shockwave the new voyager Megs, HA Roadbuster, Leader Sentinel Prime and Ironhide, Deluxe Airraid, IMO deluxe Topspin are the ones that come to mind first. Common factor is they are for the most part new characters. The part of DOTM line that was lacking was the characters that are getting their 3rd plus mold.

18. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    I feel it was a combination of way too many sublines, not enough characters per assortment and stores way, *way* over ordering on Wave 1. When DOTM launched, my Walmart expanded the TF section to twice its size, not to mentioned devoted two end-caps and the entire first toy aisle to DOTM toys as well.

...and even when you've got:
    Cyberverse Legion
    Cyberverse Commander
    Human Alliance Basic
    Mechtech Deluxe
    Mechtech Voyager
    Human Alliance Voyager
    Mechtech Leader
    Mechtech Supreme
    ...etc. etc.

...and only three to five characters per assortment per size class (if that), the glut it inevitably created was a no-brainer. Those customers that weren't outright baffled by all the different sublines and who to get at what size class; there's only so many characters from any given subline, those customers who know what they want have gotten the figures they want within the first couple weeks but there's still dozens and dozens of cases of the same product to sift through before they order more.

Which, ultimately, many stores didn't. Product languished, was clearance'd to oblivion or sold to discount chains and the big market retailers washed their hands of it.

19. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

That's... always how it's been.

Typical case assortment is 4 figures, 2 each for the case of 8. Voyagers are 2x2, typically.

20. MPrime10

MPrime10 Boomsticks.

But, it is a bit easier to sell Bees and Voyager Ironhide and Optimus, if you make them better. DOTM Optimus wasn't as good as the earlier HFTD Optimus IMO.