Hasbro Teases a new Prime Silhouette on Transformers Facebook Page

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Soundslave, Jul 11, 2018.

1. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Optimal Opthanos

News Credits:
    But you're looking at stuff like CW and TR and forgetting that in both cases Prime was a pre-tool of a different character (Motormaster and Octane) which makes sense because Hasbro was going to give us the updated characters we're looking for, but then also mixing in more familiar characters for younger audiences like Prime, Megatron, and Bee. They had a mold they needed to reuse and so they opted to go with a more marketable figure rather than either inventing a new character or trying to force someone else into the gimmick who wouldn't be as marketable.

Meanwhile look at stuff like PMOP, Magnus Prime, and PotP Prime and you see what they can do when they give Prime his *own* mold. All three of those figures are fantastic and PMOP/Magnus was given the ability to combine with an updated Godbomber just like in his G1 days.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Yaujta

Yaujta NOT Randy Butternubs. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Very good points. I had forgotten about those
    (mainly because I'm not a fan of the molds in the slightest).

Good discussion!

• Like Like x 2
  3. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah "shared engineering" was highly utilized in Prime Wars trilogy.
    Combiner Limbs (obviously), Most TR figures (Blurr mold, Scourge mold, Decepticon Targetmasters molds, etc.) and POTP are combination of those abuses :lol :

4. Ditko

Ditko Well-Known Member

This came out of left field today, now I'm excited. For those of us, and I believe there are many, who want a dedicated Voyager Prime to take the torch from Classics Prime this brings hope.

The aesthetic is PotP Prime, but it's not him. Arms, legs and back are all different. Maybe they used the CAD file and shrunk it down to non-evolved bot. Or maybe they retooled the Orion Pax bot into a classic one....and the trailer is a base!!! I would lose my shit.

The axe is straight from his fight on the dam with Megatron, I see them channeling the first episodes of the cartoon as stated and now I's psyched if this is what I hope it it.

• Like Like x 2
  5. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    What if the gimmick of this figure is a triple changer?

Cybertronian vehicle mode
    *arrives on Earth*
    Earth vehicle mode
    Robot mode

But with Impactor being a Decepticon, and the Punch/Counterpunch figure, I think the line wide gimmick is gonna be faction switching. Totally expecting new Skyfire and Double Dealer figures now.

• Like Like x 2
  6. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    I think Punch/Counterpunch is more Hasbro seeing an opportunity than a sign of anything they're doing line wide. They had a figure (let's say Pointblank) and realized "Hey if we fiddle around a bit with this kibble...PUNCH COUNTERPUNCH!"

Based on the Primemaster port on the shadowy figure's gun, and the fact they're still marking PCP under "Power of the Primes" I don't think Prime Armor is going away...it's just not going to be combiner hands anymore.

Likewise, Voyagers will have prime armor or weapons that can hold Primemasters...but instead of combiner feet it'll be guns and swords.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

Or two Micromasters become one gun. I don't think they would put a prime Master port sideways on a gun. They would do top down. But something is going on with the gun. Now I'm betting it's two MicroMasters.

It could be triple changing but the third mode is only a slight modification. Prime could be floating cube, and have flip out wheels....though I see no hint of wheels here.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2018
  8. Doctor Prime

Doctor Prime Dark Rider Prime

ok i did some comparing of this new prime with the leader mold and i pointed out the differences between the 2 so there is no way that is the leader mold bandicam 2018-07-12 14-24-19-714.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  9. Revan1307

Revan1307 Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Neoseed

News Credits:
    Interesting.

11. RotorstormNZ

RotorstormNZ Well-Known Member

Less than a week to go, now. Exciting!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    This was the beauty of the 1st Classics line. Most of the gimmicks made sense and weren't intrusive on the figures(aside from the ultimate deluxe Prime vs Megatron 2 pack). I believe a good figure can stand on its own without an intrusive gimmick that compromises neither sculpt nor articulation. Voyager Jetfire had gimmicks mostly on the armor. Deluxe Bumblebee's gimmick was on the jet ski itself. That kind of stuff, I like.

I'll always prefer classics voyager Prime over combiner Wars Prime. I've seen a lot of figures stopped short of greatness, mortally compromised by gimmick(like TR Galvatron and others).

Whatever the new gimmick is, I hope it just affects the weapon and/or the figure as minimally as possible.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Soundslave

Soundslave Tears of pleasure, tears of pain

News Credits:
    Finally someone with some sense. Thanks for weighing in!

• Like Like x 1
  14. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    CW Prime wasn't a Prime toy. It was a Motormaster toy repainted as Prime.

:rolleyes: 

Also odd you'd find combiners "intrusive" in a line dedicated to combiners...

15. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Sure has a chest, combiner head homaging Energon Prime, 2 different heads as Prime, G1 Prime rifle and alt mode that sure looks like Machine Wars Prime. Pretooled for Menasor or not, it's a Prime figure. It's not just some figure that was named Menasor and we fans just called Prime out of convenience.

• Like Like x 1
  16. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    Actually that's literally what it was. Hasbro even told us that when they revealed the damn figure.

It was Motormaster and they reused it as Prime because they thought it'd be cool to have a combining Prime.

Here's a post you ignored from earlier on the same page:

17. deathzero23

News Credits:
    Hate the CW Prime?
    I'll take that rather then the old "Fatimus Prime" toy :lol :

18. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Yea and?

Yaujta mentioned wanting a figure not compromised by gimmick. Meanwhile you seem to be standing up for any figure with a gimmick in the line. That's cool if you like that but Yaujta's stance is also fine too. I brought up figures that were just fine with gimmicks just being in their accessories and not necesarily affecting the figures themselves be it through compromising articulation or anything else. I liked Galvatron as a headmaster but acknowledge it would've been fine without the TR gimmicks since I personally hated how the head articulation was hindered due to the limited neck swivel range of the flip up mask.

If this new Prime has a gimmick that doesn't interfere with its articulation nor compromise anything else then great! If you like gimmicks and it has them good for you! I don't know why you seem to be taking it personally if someone isn't all for line gimmicks on the figures.

You claim I ignored your post, I wasn't even looking at your post, I was responding to Yaujta. I'm not even sure why you quoted me.

• Like Like x 2
  19. deathzero23

News Credits:
    Isn't good to have different variations of prime even it's a pre-tool?
    This will cater most of Prime collectors.

TR Prime is best available "Laser Prime" at the time.
    I don't think it sucks. But I can agree that some didn't like it.
    I didn't like TR Megatron pre-tool. But it is not a bad figure. I don't like the chest hair decal.

Sometimes it's about what's appealing for you.
    If it isn't an appeal for you, maybe for some.
    Especially if the target market is THE KIDS.

There's 3P products anyway.

It's Hasbro's business thing. If there's character that's gonna be a truck or tank, it's bounded to be an Prime or Megatron retool or pre-tool along the way.

20. Jaymo

Jaymo Well-Known Member

Good summaries. And at least everyone's making good points. I do agree with T that gimmicks will always be present and prime will likely be represented in each line with the gimmick. I agree with Y that gimmicks work best when they're related to the character or a least not intrusive.

I think classics prime was so good because at that time just being "classic" was the only gimmick needed. They sold simply because there were finally classic versions again of the most popular characters of all time.

Hopefully this new line is simply a targetmaster or micromaster one where, much like prime masters, you can take it or leave it and still enjoy the figures. I for one have not once put on "prime armor" but can understand the appeal and/or reason for it existing.

I'm hoping it's a dedicated voyager prime here too. I'm looking at the relative size of the weapons and seeing there's some kibble present and thinking it's a possibility.

• Like Like x 1