Hasbro/Takara vs Third Parties: The Gloves are off!!!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by drmick, Sep 29, 2010.

1. drmick

drmick Well-Known Member

From a design point of view.

Does anybody else feel that Hasbro and Takara have really had to up their game in light of the third party output?

The upcoming Generations toys, and in particular the Wreck-Gar toy, seem to imply that HasTak are very wary of the competition.

They now have effectively pre-empted FansProject's Junkion figure, and could well do the same for all the big G1 characters from now on.

Us, the collectors, are surely going to be the winners in this particluar match.

Thoughts.

2. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I doubt it, Has/Tak Releases are in the works/design/planning for years(atleast two) before we see em.

3. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    On most accounts we've heard, it's just one year.

4. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

I think Has/Tak do awesome nowdays considering the constrictions they deal with compared to the 3rd party groups. Being child proof'd and tested like they are I am amazed the make stuff as cool as they do. Cheapo combiners like the Energon ones are not going to fly anymore though and sell well. 3rd party groups have shown that good feet and hands at least are a requirement. Kiddy combiners like the PCC stuff, we'll see how they do.

5. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

I like how you refer to the third party companies as "competition." Their toys aren't on retail pegs and shelves across the world.

6. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I do think Hasbro/Takara keep an eye on what 3rd-party groups are producing. I think it's no coincidence that after Jizaitoys started showing off its Cyclonus, Wheelie, Octane, and Powerglide figures we suddenly got Classics renditions of Cyclonus, Wheelie, Octane, and Powerglide (with a sculpted-in heart, no less).

Now that Jizaitoys has mostly gone away and FP has ascended as the most successful of the 3rd-party companies (managing to produce better-designed figures in greater numbers at more competitive price points than Jizaitoys ever managed), I think it's no surprise that Hasbro might be setting their sights on them and attempting to beat them to the punch. Or show them who's boss, perhaps.

But as you said, that can only be good for collectors, as the competition will push both companies to deliver better and more innovative figures.

7. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I honestly think the impact of 3rd party products is being overstated. It is a very legitimate concern for Hasbro and their legal/PR people, I'm sure, but I don't think it affects their day-to-day job of designing toys. A lot of praise for 3rd party products is with reference to how well their product addresses an issue that Hasbro did not address, e.g. Ultra Magnus' trailer. But let's not forget that Hasbro does address, well, everything else by coming up with fresh designs and ideas almost daily.

Fans Project gave Ultra Magnus a trailer, true, but Hasbro provided us with a Classics UM, RiD UM a decade ago, and an excellent Animated UM. For every high-profile 3rd party product, Hasbro literally releases hundreds of Deluxes, Voyagers, Leaders, Fast Action Battlers, Activators, Scouts, etc. Fans Projects released a Classics Rodimus upgrade armor? Well, gosh, Hasbro released the entire Transformers Animated line. We might be comparing apples to oranges (different intended collector, aimed at mature fans, etc), but if Hasbro makes oranges and FP makes apples, Hasbro's oranges are still pretty darn good, and we get hundreds of relatively-affordable oranges per greater-than-$50 apple.

From where I stand, the 3rd party stuff is certainly good for those who can afford it, but at best, they merely match Hasbro's quality and release 1 toy for every 100 toys Hasbro releases.

8. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

I think Hasbro/Takara allow these guys to do their thing so long as they don't cross a line. There is no competition, you guys are REALLY blowing it out of proportion. You've got to put into perspective.

Collectors are the only consumers buying stuff from third parties. Hasbro/Takara have a vastly larger consumer base.

9. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I don't think they have to be wary of iGear or FP as "competition", just more so as a possible precedent just in case a real threat to their IP surfaces.

10. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If anyone was gonna get the legal beat down it was iGear with the "mini" masterpieces. But a 3rd party puts out what a couple thousand? maybe?

Your standard deluxe on the pegs gets how many? tens of thousands? hundreds?

No third party will ever be a blip on Has/Tak radar unless they can output that kinda volume for a decent price.

11. drmick

drmick Well-Known Member

Competition doesn't have to apply to sales though. If I had a job as hasbro designer I would feel like I was competing, from a design point of view, with the third parties.

12. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Well in that case how is that something Hasbro and Takara need to worry about? That's a normal concern for any job.

13. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I love you

14. CURAMEN

CURAMEN LOS ANGELES COLLECTIVE

News Credits:
    Agreed.

15. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

LOL Win.

16. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

I bet it would also help the whole situation with the third parties if these threads did not show up every week possibly salting any wounds hasbro might feel...

17. blurr69

blurr69 First time caller

Ebay:
    Dont these third party companies kind of help hastak? I dont see there being any competition... the money these little companies gross cant compare to the hastaks, by a damn sight. I would just look at it like free publicity and advertising, if I were them. Just makes ppl, and more and more ppl at that, hungry for tfs.

18. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

The armor set certainly helped boost sales for the Asian market exclusive Universe three-pack.

19. Jimmy Drift

Jimmy Drift Well-Known Member

I thought Fansproject 'Springer' pretty much crossed the line...

20. blurr69

blurr69 First time caller

Ebay:
    Why ? I would bet my buffalo nickel that springer helped out the new generations wreckers sales, a lot. Not to mention saves hastak from ever having to make one one ::shrugs::.

I personally may not of cared as much about some of the new wrecker figures, if it werent for that springer.