Hasbro/Takara needs to have a "collectors" division

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Aug 18, 2011.

1. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Bloodsail Admiral

At least you guys got Windcharger mass released at retail lol.

2. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    A lot of the Alternators were crap.

3. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

after i picked up a classics 2.0 at sears at 14.99 then look at the next pegs 16.99$ then go to zellers 19.99$... its pretty messed up.

4. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Ya for $8-$10 bucks and then you guys got it at TJ MAXX (I have no clue how big they are) for deep discount.

But I will admit getting Windcharger was awesome, I love the guy.

It gets worst with Walmart and TRU. Walmart is cheaper but they carry less variety. It is always easier for me to find stuff at TRU (makes up for the extra couple of bucks)

The real insanity in price difference is seen from Voyager up. I think Leaders and Supreme class is about $30 more in Canada :O

5. havanowoncheese

Tjmaxx and those stores can hardly be considered mass retail since what they get is hit or miss. My area did see the legends and the deluxes and some wave 1 HFTD scouts but not windcharger.

6. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    So is TJ Maxx liek a WINNERS type store. They just get a shipment and you either luck out or miss out?

7. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    About $20, actually. Although W-M's sticker price for the DotM Leaders seems to be $50, so "only" $10 more. IIRC, Ultimate Prime is $80USD, and he's $100 at TRU here.

8. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    It seems like the gap is closing. IIRC in past years Leaders and Supremes use to cost a lot more in Canada. I think the gap on Supreme was $59.99 US vs $89.99 in Canada.

9. havanowoncheese

Yeah pretty much. I did have some good animated finds at TJmaxx in the past year like Wreck-gar and Shockwave when hunting for the chance at a HA mudflap.

10. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, assume a 50% markup was the general rule of thumb.

There's been a slight shift recently. Deluxe prices in the US went up, while ours didn't. And the higher-end figures haven't been marked up as severely as of late.

11. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    I guess you could say that, all the TJ Maxx's I've been to have still had ROTF stock, although somehow they always have something I have interest in. As long as it isn't recent, that is. I've yet to find any RtS stuff that is bigger than Legends Class (although I'm not complaining, since $4 a Legend is a great price).

12. zeroomegazx

zeroomegazx I'm watching you...

News Credits:
    Yes I called him out as he is obviously trying to flamebait. Putting Human Alliance in the same cagetory as MP, one should be able to figure out I meant the Original Larger HA figures.

I've eaten up the classics line to completion ONLY because Hasbro/Takara havent fully reissued originals. Classics is a fantastic line for the fans and for kids, but its not something i consider the same class as the Masterpiece Line, or FP Bruticus add-on parts, or BT, or Reissues which are much more a collectors grade item than a mass produced deluxe.

I don't care what you think, I never joined the TFCC because they only offered repaints. I get enough of that shoved down my throat at retail already. You can't tell me it cost Hasbro SO much to make Sideburn when they make tons of repaints all the time. I'd imagine they have the process very streamlined and profitable. The fact is that most people on this board claim the *collectors* make up such a small fraction of their sales, yet I constantly see online retailers sold out of new classics or MP's and anything else collectors wise. I'm saying there IS a market for online distribution of Collectors grade items beyond the classics line while classics co-exists.

And yes I think Hasbro's TFCC is a joke, that offers *collectors* grade items that are simply repaints with the occasional *new head* at, albeit not much, but still steeper prices. I'd gladly pay $35-55 for FP Insecticons, but the same for a damn repaint of Hot Rod? (though it is an excellent mold) Thats a slap in the face, especially for a higher profile *collectors club*

13. seali_me

we can always raid the nearest state. leave your terrorist equipement at home, let other canadians have the chance to visit it as well.

14. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I thought I noticed the prices drop a bit on the larger figures. But could you imagine paying $60 for a supreme? A man can dream, but it did feel awesome getting MP ROD at TRU from $50 after tax. And the $69.99 is is selling for is still a great price, wasn't Grimlock $90?

Try convincing customs that the 20 new TF's in the back belong to the non existant kids in the car and were not bought in the US lol

15. seali_me

screw it i'm calling all my arab friends in montreal. yahla! lol

16. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Quick questions.

1) WHAT could a Hasbro based collector's division do better then what Takara is already doing.

2) If creating a Masterpiece size Devastator or Armor for a white Prime is so profitable, WHY would Takara NOT do it?

17. havanowoncheese

Hasbro could have made Sideburn yes but he had a high probability of shelfwarming since RID is now 10 years old and as a character he was not recognizeable enough. As much as i love generations many of the obscure charcters that are great toys are now shelfwarming. I can go in any store around me and find Thunderwing because a child would rather have another movie bee. This is hasbro's process for choosing a character. This is why we see more obscure charcters in an off year as well since 2010 did not have a movie coming out or cartoon to associate with we got some obscure characters that the fans wanted now with dark of the moon and prime starting soon we are not gonna see the obscure characters for a little while because the DOTM toys will overall move more volume than obscure classics figures.

And the club does not have the same kind of budget as hasbro so the figures are more expensive. This is also because the production costs are spread among less units than main hasbro releases.

18. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Oh Ya, what an awesome was to get into the States, load an old scholl 70's van with a bunch of fully garbbed Arabs lol

19. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    To answer Q 2, That MP UM is a coming and will connect to the MP10 mould. Or so the rumour goes.

20. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    Hasbro > Mattel

I'd rather hunt at retail for stuff than deal with online only. I don't think online only would solve the availability of toys to collectors.

Example: I adore DCUC but Mattel never even re-branded them. Every wave for several years has had the same spot on the Target pegs. Never clearanced out.