Hasbro Studios Prez on "Transformers: Prime"

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Voiceroy, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Source: Toying Around in Television - 2010-04-26 04:01:00 | Broadcasting & Cable

I've highlighted comments that seem important to note as they relate to the new Transformers series and the brand.

• News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    I'm curious to see how Alex and Roberto will approach the new show.

3. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm sure it feels nice for them to get some sort of support and faith from the producer this time around.

4. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Dangerous when naked! TFW2005 Supporter

Looks like there's plenty of good thought behind Prime. That bodes very well IMO.

5. AMG

AMG Old School

Looking forward to it. Hopefully the writing is on par with Beast Wars & Animated.

6. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Yes, the feeling I had from many of their interviews was that they had ideas going one way and Bay had his ideas going another, with Bay having final say in the end.

I shake my head is disgust when looking at things like Devastator's Balls, sex jokes, drug jokes, and overall lack of care for anyone who didn't survive the first film or was represented by crude stereotypical personalities. Surely this could not be Orci or Kurtzman's doing. They're better than that.

My only hope for this show is like Animated, everyone gets their fair share of screen time, development, and storytelling. The last thing I want to see this turn into is "The Optimus Prime and BumbleBee Show."

7. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I could write a long and thoughtful post, speculating and freely admitting that I could be wrong on every point, but I'll just make it easy:

Orci + Kutzman =/= high hopes.

8. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I know that this pair worked on Alias, Xena, & Hercules & I've still yet to figure out if it was the better episodes of the really crummy ones of each show that they were responsible for.

If they did the decent episodes (the fun ones) of those 3 shows then that bodes quite well for the Hasbro shows.

If however they were responsible for the lame badly written episodes of those shows then I think the best we can hope for is 'barely exceptable mediocrity'.

I thought Mission Impossible III was alright in a slightly stupid way, and somefolks seem to have enjoyed Star Trek.

So as long as they are not asleep at the wheel perhaps there's a glimmer of hope - but due to the live action movie my default position on them is one of scepticism.

I'm focusing more on the animation and who the voice cast is really... since the voice cast seems to be people we don't normally get - we might get lucky and get some really good people - or very unlucky and get people who can't do voice acting at all well.

What Transformers characters feature is also very important as is how far down the movie path they travel in general style.

-----------

Oh and in the terms of general hopes - "I agree with Netkid" that I'd not want the show to be the Prime and Bumblebee show, Asuming the cast is based on the Movie cast then I'd want a lot more expansion to Ironhide & Ratchet's characters particularly.

I guess if it's something that Hasbro want to license then something might leak from a license holder before the show debutes, if not then we might have to wait for promo-flyers in trade magazines or toy prototypes to see the rest of the Transformers cast.

But I think some of them are now from the voice talent being unable to keep a secret arn't they - or was that blabermouthing all for War for Cybertron voice casting.

9. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hope we see some info or toys at Botcon for this. Anxious to learn more.

10. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    If not Botcon then there's Comic conventions as well usually that debute that sort of thing too.

11. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    Wait... wait a darn second... the two guys that wrote the first two Transformers movies and are NOT doing the 3rd one because of "busy schedules" have time to write a cartoon series? They are too busy with the cartoon to do another movie?

That's just classic stuff right there.

Considering how great Star Trek was this is giving me very high hopes for the cartoon. I know these guys are quite talented and perhaps without Bay's influence the cartoon will be top notch instead of just entertaining.

12. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    Maybe they'd rather do the cartoon, I imagine it'd be very different to working on a movie.

13. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    :gen069: 
    I love it, fucking love it.

Two people are not allowed to pick and choose the projects they wish to do? If they have no personal interest in doing something then why should they?

14. alex_kingdom

alex_kingdom Well-Known Member

Can't say Im feeling very optimistic about this one. I've never seen Alias, but everything else I've seen either Orci and/or Kutzman touch has been for want of a better word balls or 'script polishing' which to my mind equates to getting credit and money for nothing/other peoples work.

15. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Perhaps that's code for 'Michael Bay was a pain in the ass to work for and twisted what we'd written by throwing a 3rd guy in the midst, we're sick of it, but still like the property itself.'

16. Chevluh

Chevluh Well-Known Member

Could also be they signed up for writing the cartoon (and other things, since writing a cartoon isn't enough to completely fill a schedule) before the project for the third movie was started.

17. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IMDB should have a listing of their screenwriting credits.

18. Toa Maximus

Toa Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually in the special features section of ROTF it reveals that Orci and Kurtsman told Bay about the visual gag for Devastator.

19. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] BATTLE GAIA!

News Credits:
    ........ More info needed. :D 

20. Rob

Rob IDW FOREVER

News Credits:
    Not a big fan of the Transformers movies however, these writers have proven themselves time and time again to be capable. Considering the quality of Star Trek, not as thought provoking as its predecessors but solid and very entertaining, I have high hopes for the new Transformers television show however, if Transformers Prime lacks quality (in its story) there is no Michal Bay to blame.

In the end however, I feel that with the writers given enough room to create there really is no reason for Transformers Prime to be anything less than enjoyable, if not completely spectacular. Ultimately though, we are just going to have to wait and see what direction they wish to take Transformers in; will it be that of gripping tales of adventure that, at their best, these Hollywood writers can very much deliver or will it be just another cheap thrill thrown together quickly in order to meet a release date.