Hasbro Should've Made Retro-Style Packaging For Classics/Universe.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Nov 3, 2008.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    I was just looking at the thread on the Classics Jetfire G1-style box and something occurred to me.

Hasbro should've put these toys in retro-style boxes/packaging. I mean, Hasbro did it for the re-styled GI Joe figures and Mattel did it for the He-Man reissues so why didn't Hasbro do it for Classics/Universe?

They really dropped the ball on this one and this might be a good question to ask them at the next Q & A.

What do you think? THANKS for posting!!

2. Mark94

Mark94 Well-Known Member

Agreed 100%. I would have bought every single character and repaint if they did.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Doesn't matter to me. I toss all the packaging anyway. (or I did when the first Classics was out, I keep one of each of my boxes and cards now) Regardless, I don't display packaging, but I will say that it certainly would've been appropriate for Classics, but not Universe. (since it's not G1-exclusive like Classics was) Hell, with Classics it would've been an improvement over the boxes we got.

4. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    doesn't styrofoam cost a lot more than plastic bubbles?

5. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    As much as I love (love love love) the G1 style packaging, they want to sell this stuff to more than just old fanatics.

6. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    They would've sold to collectors/casual fans no matter what the outer packaging looked like but, it wouldn't have taken much to send a shout-out to the collectors and put the figures in G1-esque packaging.

If they did it with the GI Joe packages they could've done it with TFs as well.

They wouldn't have needed styrofoam. They could've kept the inside of the boxes as the current card/twist ties/bubble with the outer box looking like an original G1 package.

7. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    Well that's exactly it; we would have all bought it regardless of packaging. But they like to sell to the new kiddies and the more modern look is more appealing to the unwashed masses.

Also, I haven't kept up with G.I. Joe, but it seems to be a comparative shelf-warmer. I could be wrong. I just know that I see that stuff overstocked everywhere.

8. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:

When the GI Joe stuff first came back out it was one of the hottest toys in the toy section. It was flying off the pegs and stores couldn't keep 'em stocked. They're now into the later and less popular waves of the figures. There's still a few that are hotter than hot like Cobra B.A.T. for instance.

All of this occurred in retro-style, similar to original packaging. Classics could've and should've done the same thing IMHO.

9. Peanut04

Peanut04 Under Construction

News Credits:
    I love nice looking boxes, but to be honest they would just get broken down and put into a tote. I don't really have the space or interest in displaying boxes.

10. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wish that they did too...I would have kept more of my containers. In terms of sytrofoam as inserts for the G1 figures, I know that they did that the ones that were sold in Japan. But for the ones sold in the United States, I am pretty sure that they used plastic inserts for the earlier figures.

11. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Retro packaging with new molds would look off to me, but I would have loved the old font and box style on 25th Prime.

12. lastmaximal

lastmaximal Hellspark

News Credits:
    i actually rather like the Hasbro TFU 2.0 packaging; if anything, Takara could stand to have gone retro [or updated-G1] instead of going with the packaging that the Henkei line uses IMO.

13. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I love retro packaging and I always appreciate the style and design of older toys. I'd definitely get excited seeing TFs return to the style of the 80's. That said, I'd buy these things if Hasbro released them in plastic baggies so ultimately the package doesn't matter to me.

14. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    I don't think it needed to be "retro boxes" per say, but i do think the new Universe packaging is pretty blah.

15. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Personally I'm happy with the packaging that we've gotten. It actualy has a somewhat retro feel, imo, with thow the red background to it looks. Either way I just throw out all my packaging, so it really doesn't matter to me.

16. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I take it you've never seen the custom Cardbacks in the Classics section of our Customs gallery then. Those things are so beautiful.

17. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
  18. Deadboy

Deadboy Well-Known Member

I just want old-style tech specs. The rest of the packaging I couldn't really care about.

19. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
  20. aurascope

aurascope Kitbash Resource Indexer

Ebay:
    they can't make G1 packaging because that's already for G1 reissues.

go takara!