Hasbro should do a "build a Transformer" pack-in

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bass X0, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Mormolyce

Mormolyce Throbbing Member

Mmmm, it always seems like a cool idea but in practice it means people who wanted a Cap, Panther, Iron Man and Nick Fury get saddled with buying a Red Guardian and... Nuke? I guess he's an 80s character...

2. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the idea of a transforming BAF is probably a deal breaker from a toy safety standpoint and a cost standpoint. Transforming parts tend to be more brittle and carry a higher design and production expense, I'd imagine.

I could see an Action Master potentially being viable as a 5.5"-6" pose-able BAF if you're okay with no other gimmick and puny weapons. Might also be a way to do characters who are essentially impossible to do toon or comic accurate versions of. Off the top of my head, Autobot X/Spike, Alpha Trion, Elita-1, Jhiaxus (Marvel), maybe a decent Pretender Bludgeon with good articulation. But I think bigger super-poseable updates of classic Pretenders might be cool as well.

• Like Like x 1
  3. calvin0

calvin0 Well-Known Member

except it's not really a bonus toy.. you paid for it.... and transformer been doing that for a while now... we just call those type of figure "combiner"...

• Like Like x 1
  4. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You've got to stop. It's really annoying. Get with the program.

5. The13Primes

The13Primes hot shot fanatic

News Credits:
    I’d have to agree. @BScorpinok75 alot of your posts are interesting and put forward interesting points and ideas but the constant ..... is annoying

• Like Like x 1
  6. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:

7. JomasterII

JomasterII The Space Consultant from Jolo

News Credits:
    I have a better idea.

No.

8. Spyne98

Spyne98 Host of the Rock Nerd Radio Show

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wouldn't be against it, but I do wonder if the figure would be able to transform well. I saw someone mention that it might be good to use this idea with non-transforming characters (new action masters maybe?) but I do wonder if Hasbro could pull it off for someone who can transform.

9. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    It's odd that you never did this before, but now it's a thing. Well, at least we understand each other now.

10. Ch40sKnight

Ch40sKnight Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel this idea would be better if they used Mini-Cons.

Each figure comes with a Mini-Con they can interact with. Got more Mini-Cons on you? Well they can combine to form a robot or weapon. And they would be cross compatible throughout waves.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    No.

1. They tried a BAF, Transmutate, and it was nothing but a headache. They tried, it failed, they moved on.

2. BAF's were implemented originally because Toy Biz figures originally came with a base, but found that most collectors didn't like them. At the same time, realized that they had no avenue for certain oversized characters and they had issues with some vendors complaining about pegwarmers. So they came up with a solution to all of that at the same time, drop the bases and use that budget to create another figure, broken up to help move pegwarmers and release the oversized figures that didn't fit at the standard (and only) pricepoint. Transformers doesn't have the same level of pegwarming problems (if they did, there'd be posts of people complaining about CW figures still clogging the shelves) and they have multiple size classes, so leader sized figures can be released in the Leader class (Surprise!).

3. Transformers are made on a parts count/wave budget. That extra figure would mean fewer parts on every other figure in that wave. I think there are more then enough threads about how cheap/light/inarticulated/hollow/etc figures are now without further increasing that issue.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    What is odd...was me spending time after typing a post...going over erasing the periods in worry of being singled out & harassed...[EDIT] No...we don't understand each other...I don't understand why how I post even bothers someone enough to feel they have to engage me on it...I've seen unusual post in varying ways...don't think I engaged...probably just "ignored"...because that is what's on my side of the fence...what's in my right...I can't worry about the other side of the fence...it's my neighbors not mine...:( ...I suppose I can now go back to either editing my post...or...leaving short responses...which had been something else I did...to keep the period count low...or...null......yeah..."apparently"...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  13. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    This is a horrid idea. Why would some one want this. We already have box sets that cost $100 to have 4 figures you don't want and 1 that you do.

This just screws the consumer.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    I usually get a whole wave of TFs so this would have no effect on me but I still think it's a bad idea for a couple of reasons.

1) TFs can be uniquely different in design and having them split apart would make added uniqueness harder to achieve. We'd just get standard molds for BAF instead of something potentially interesting.

2) Shortpacking is a real concern as most characters in the ML line who are FOR SURE going to be popular almost always have one per case (I think this wasn't true only once).

3) Theft is a real concern. The amount of times I've seen the BAF pieces removed from ML boxes is astounding. They're small so they're easy to remove. Plus with TFs, it's harder to identify particular legs when not attached to a body so you may become a victim of buying a toy-swap and getting someone else's legs.

4) The whole point of a TF is that they transform into something. The hell would we want just a leg for? For 1/4 of a car? Ooooo... neat.

5) The cost would go up again. In order to get a BAF, Hasbro will have to raise the prices of all TFs. We would literally pay for it if this became a reality.

6) Imagine for a moment which size classes get build a figure parts. I think most people are thinking deluxes but what would happen if they did all six original seekers with the POTP starscream mold and include a cool BAF with them. That mold is not a good mold, and now you'd need six of them (plus Elita-One). What happens if the BAF pieces are scattered BETWEEN the size classes? Imagine having a dinky Impactor head come with a blue repaint of POTP Rodimus (why blue? Who knows). That'd be nuts!

7) Distribution is already pretty poopy in some areas. I get lucky with finding these guys a lot but I've seen people desperately search for things that are pegwarming near me. The question is whether whoever does their distribution will hire a good supply chain manager or not. Your toy purchases should never hinge on having a good supply chain manager.

8) Let me put this here: exclusive BAF wave. Imagine having an entire wave be exclusive to say Walmart. Good luck finding that wave if you live in a place with crappy Walmarts (like me). The ML line did this once with the Jubilee BAF (at TRU) and because it was kind of a disaster, luckily they never did it again. Ha, just kidding. Target is getting a Stan Lee BAF wave. Luckily they are two-packs instead of individual releases but still... Imagine that with an entire line of Wreckers. People's faces would explode. First from excitement, then from rage.

That's all I can think of for the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  15. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    As someone who also collects Marvel Legends: Fuck no. I hate the BAF idea.

16. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    no... that's not the point I was making.

I said I wanted four Deluxes, one Voyager and a Legends/Scout class figure for the price of four Deluxes and one Voyager.

17. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    but you're going to collect a torso and four limbs to make up a combiner anyway. why not get a free little figure included in the deal?

• Like Like x 1
  18. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    But what if you don't want the whole combiner and only want that one figure? Or if you're a kid and don't know any better and your parents just buy you a bunch of mis-matched limbs?

19. Chillyn

Chillyn Resist

not sure if anybody has mentioned this but IF already does this with the seekers.
    foos.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  20. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    kids are smarter than you think these days. and those who only want one figure out of a combiner are in very minuscule numbers compared to those who want a full combiner.

• Like Like x 1