Hasbro Reveals New Animated Series - Transformers: Cyberverse

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Zemah

Zemah ’Til all are one

News Credits:
    So I guess this will mark the end of the aligned continuity? Rescue Bots doesn't really do much for me and doesn't add much to the continuity.

2. Johntimus Prime

Johntimus Prime Where's my perfect Legends-scale Ultra Magnus?

News Credits:
    Revisiting old stories?

One of those better be how Blitzwing tried to enlist the help of a human football coach to devise better strategies after taking over co-leadership of the Decepticons.

• Like Like x 9
  3. Brawlastator

Brawlastator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey, if we have to revisit G1 again, I just hope it's fun.

You wanna revisit G1 with either Rescue Bots or RID-style animation? More power to you. Keep it goofy like G1 was. Let Prime play basketball.

And hey, throw in some modern characters too for funsies. Have Strongarm or Alpha Bravo show up. It's not like G1's cast of characters was ever set in stone, characters could come and go as the toyline introduced them.

I guess that's mainly what I want. Fun. Let it be fun. RID was fun. Rescue Bots was fun. Let's have some fun with G1 characters again.

• Like Like x 4
  4. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    I would love some self-aware and fourth wall humor.

5. Kazimir

Kazimir Well-Known Member

Hmm. Interesting.

This 40+ year old fan would love a new cartoon for prime-time or later, for adult fans, to support the Generations toyline and perhaps keep some characters on the shelves for longer like they used to be in the G1 days. Something suitable for Adult Swim, at a minimum. I want gritty, sometimes dark Transformer stories like we often get in comics. Without Michael Bay. The best we've had from a story perspective, in my opinion, is Beast Machines, but I want more.

I imagine a modern retelling of G1, but with more origins backstories, more character development, expanded - a show that takes from *all* of the Transformer universes and presents stories both old and new, with characters old and new. I like the idea of an anthology series - RID 2001 characters one season, Last Stand of the Wreckers (for example) another season, and something in the Beast Wars era for yet another season, replete with a toyline for each, of course. What were Black Shadow and Blue Bacchus up to while Megatron was slumbering on Earth, in the Ark? What were the lives of the Headmaster characters before they fled Cybertron and made their way to Nebulos? How exactly did Deathsaurus ascend to lead the Decepticons? What happened to Skorponok and crew when they were defeated by the Autobots and fled Earth? There are limitless story-lines to be explored, and I want more in-depth storytelling delivered in the animated format without the restrictions of a G or PG rating, with character designs that are familiar.

I do read the IDW comics (and Dreamwave before that), though I am admittedly about 4 years behind on the IDW stories right now. Comics are -OK- but I feel like we're in a golden age of television at this point in time, and Transformers -and by extension adult Transformer fans- deserve a place in this era.

Anyway - back into lurkerdom!

• Like Like x 1
  6. AirjitzuRonin

AirjitzuRonin Member of the Bee Team

You read my mind. Did you use a cortical psychic patch or something?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Brawlastator

Brawlastator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I mean, you basically just described the Machinima Combiner Wars cartoon for better or for worse. That's your gritty, adult-oriented Transformers cartoon.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Omega495

Omega495 Mostly Harmless, aspiring Mistake Not

While I welcome a new series, I don't like that they have used the name of a toy size class.
    It gets confusing like the Legends class vs Takara legends toyline.

9. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Minimondomayhem

News Credits:
    Ha, no offence but please don't put ResuceBots and RID in the same sentence as G1...

10. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Eh. I'll just stick to G1 on DVD.

11. Heliblade

Heliblade Autobot Vigilante of Kaon

So... is Cyberverse basically the funeral for Aligned?

• Like Like x 3
  12. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    You're right, RID and RB are a tier above G1.

• Like Like x 3
  13. G1Convoy1701

G1Convoy1701 Member

I prodect its a Generation 1 Based show that continues after season 5 where a portal opens up to the muiltivers and a Team of Autobots lead by either Rodimus Prime(Hot Rod) or Optimus Prime must go in and seal each breach before it collaples the mulitverse of the transformers

• Like Like x 1
  14. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Minimondomayhem

News Credits:
    RID was the funeral for aligned.

@AutobotAvalanche i don't need defend G1. It's record speaks for itself.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    Nice!
    Loving the continued pattern of using old toyline names for the new shows too. Creates a nostalgia synergy. Also love how this will modernize G1 too.
    It'll be sad to see RID go, but many of them can still cameo over in the new Rescue Bots too, plus since this is a new telling of G1 type lore, that means they can fit in the new characters too like Bulkhead, Strongarm, and similar. Potentially making some great groundwork and prep work for the 50th later. As we've seen, the animated mediums tend to lead the movies, as has been true with other brands too that have used nods from various animated mediums instead of comics.

So this bodes well and seems to allude to the possibility of more iconic characters getting their classic inspired Alts like what happened with Evasion Prime in AOE, and soon Bumblebee in his film.

Actually this is creating a new aligned. More towards how aligned was originally intended. Many of the same minds behind this are the same that were behind the aligned you're complaining about.

As for G1's record speaks for itself. A country called carbombya would look to speak to you. G1 only holds up under nostalgia. It is by no means good under modern standards.

There are some good stories that deserve retelling, and the base concepts have promise, which is why it's being remade to remove the problems and modernize it with modern additions like the other colonies and extended characters like Windblade, Strongarm, Bulkhead, Drift, the rescue bots, Fixit, alongside potentially Cogman and Sari. And no promises, but it may also look into aligning beast wars into the G1 continuity better too since now they have a larger mythology to develop and make it more cohesive for how it could have grown from where and when. Like the development of Titanmasters to pretender/decoy tech that led to the tech of Beast Wars that time traveled back and may have had scraps and alterations to the timeline. Making this the cohesive work of all the years of all lore combined. Making it a true "aligned" continuity. So I wouldn't be surprised if it includes the planets from the AEC trilogy as well as Dark Energon and space pirates from the games, or any other story devices that have become part of the lore over the years allowing them all to evolve.

This is why Cyberverse is remaking G1, not continuing off of G1.

As core mythology goes though like Prime as leader and Bumblebee as a trusted scout that evolved his role over time, not much has really ever changed except for with the 4 anime series that became the first RID and then AEC trilogy.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  16. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

That's not true at all. Objectively speaking, Beast Machines was a good show. People just can't get over the fact that it was different. And objectively speaking, TFP's characters and story lines were awful. Plus, you're really overstating the importance G1 had on those shows. Beast Wars was its own thing that just happened to be tied to G1. It had completely unique story telling, visual style, character design, tone and characters. It was mostly the same with Beast Machines. While it did build a lot of its stories around elements from G1, it still was very much its own, unique thing, that just happened to be set in G1's future. Animated was pretty G1 in its character designs, but it heavily reimagined many characters, some characters were basically its own creation and some characters came from post-G1 TF. Its stories tended to be built around very common concepts that could be from any TF era, like Space Bridges, Omega Supreme, an Optimus origin, plus the Allspark, which specifically came from the movies. It was more of a general TF series, that really mixed and matched everything together, while adding its own stuff in.

Wait, so the beast era counts as G1? So if this was something with original characters (like the Maximals and Predacons were) and an original visual style (like organic beast forms and CGI animation were), you'd be fine with it, as long as it's set in a G1 universe?

I feel that's rather flawed logic. If Generations does sell better, it's likely because it's being handled differently to RID15. More than anything else, I think it proves that standard Deluxe, Voyager and Leader toys sell better than 1/3-step changers, flip changers, deployers, crash combiners and any other simplified toys Hasbro's thought up. As for the movie toys, if they truly are outsold by Generations, it's probably because there's been a lot less of them recently and they lack the unifying gimmicks that Prime Wars has brought to Generations.

There's no definite proof that merely being G1 will allow a toyline to outsell anything else.

They have a toyline called Generations that's been stuck doing nothing but G1 for several years now and both Chapter 1 and 2 have G1 images of 84 characters attached to them. If this show does end up being a trip to the past, it'll be to G1 and only G1.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  17. Hubcap

Hubcap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm excited about this. A great way to share G1 love with my children. And, a focus on character stories, what an amazing way to get kids to relate to the character and want to buy the toys! Someone tell Lorenzo and Michael..... Oops too late

• Like Like x 3
  18. Magneon Sentinel

Magneon Sentinel Cybertron's last defense

Definitely excited, but I want to know more before the actual hype sets in. Like(maybe I\'m misinterpreting), is this a remake of g1 but in a modern style or is it a like a look back on the stories the franchise has told?

19. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    Yet that toy line has IDW characters like Windblade and others.
    This will be bigger than G1 but include many of the same premises of G1 lore while expanding on it to include the newer creations too that have gained popularity. Drift and Windblade aren't G1, neither is Bulkhead or Lugnut from Animated, but I wouldn't be surprised if they found ways to be included in Cyberverse alongside all the other staples of the franchise. This new approach seems like a way to create a way to combine everything over the years into one cohesive entity. So "only G1" is kind of a misnomer.

20. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT

News Credits:
    I cannot agree with this, because I think it was objectively awful, not different. It was supposed to happen in the same continuity as BW, yet it completely misinterpreted the majority of BW characterizations and, in some cases (Rattrap, Primal, Rhinox), did a 180 degree turn on characters' personalities. It was focused on "MacGuffin of the week" plot point for much of the show. It tried to push a bizarre eco-terrorist agenda that had nothing to do with Transformers - while this is not objectively bad, it's about as good as making Bayverse Optimus a face-ripping murderhobo. It had two incredibly poorly-written one-dimensional characters (Nightscream and Botanica) that it tried to shove down viewers' throats even though they had zero traction. It pacing was positively horrible, jumping from overly-long and needlessly complicated plot arcs that spanned a whole season to 100 different ongoing plots being resolved in a single episode. Finally, it tried to be gritty but ended up being silly emo grimdark.