Hasbro Reveals New Animated Series - Transformers: Cyberverse

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Aug 3, 2017.

1. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    JUST CLEANED UP THIS THREAD FOR RULE VIOLATIONS 1 AND 13... GROW UP PEOPLE! AND DISCUSS THIS NEWS TIDBIT IN A CIVIL MANNER AND LET GO YOUR SNARKY COMMENTS ON SOMETHING WHEN YOU DON'T KNOW THE FULL STORY AT THIS TIME.

BEING STOKED ABOUT A NEW TF SERIES IS EXPECTED ON A TRANSFORMERS FORUM..DUH...OF COURSE SOME FANS WILL BE HAPPY TO HEAR THIS... AS IT SHOULD BE....
    .... BUT LEAVE YOUR MOVIE BASHING HOSTILITY LACED COMMENT STYLE OUT OF THE PRIME/RID FORUM.
    THEY WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. PERIOD.

ANY MORE OF THIS TYPE OF POSTING, THE VIOLATORS WILL BE REMOVED AND/OR INFRACTED.

KEEP IT CIVIL AND TRY TO ENJOY THE GOOD NEWS ABOUT A NEW SERIES.

• Like Like x 6
  2. batfan007

batfan007 Double the Dragon

News Credits:
    Damn. Talk about bitter sweet. just read the news item and see "end of RID"

I wish hasbro would commit to actually finishing a show properly before launching another one. I guess this new one will get canned at Season 3 like the last 3 shows in a row then. And it not like they had 30 episodes each in those seasons like them old timey shows.

DAMN!!! I didnt want to read that. That RID show had been a ray of sunshine in a year where I have found practically now new shows at all (of anything...ever) to watch.

Getting a full first season, and then less and less episodes in subsequent seasons of RID.........with massive gaps leading to mislabeling the damn episodes as well. UGH. Sad face.
    Guess i'll be watching from the beginning sooner than expected. And kind of kills the hops of more CONS in the toy line too.
    I better snap up those other toys im after before they get temporarily inflated prices too.

:( :( :( 

• Like Like x 3
  3. Joeis4Jord4n

Joeis4Jord4n Well-Known Member

I won't mind if it's a Generation 1 reboot. I would be totally down for a more character oriented story. However my only worry is the age demographic. It's what ruined RiD for me, so well have to see where that goes.

4. Joeis4Jord4n

Joeis4Jord4n Well-Known Member

The
    Yeah, if it lands on CN, it's premiere might be bogged down by TTG reruns.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    My first thought was: well, no such thing as Aligned anyway.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Prime was not horrible by any means, but for me, it was one disappointing missed opportunity after another. Huge potential with maybe only 5% of it achieved. New RiD is a decent show, but does not interest me enough to keep watching, and the big round sticker on every figure kills the toyline for me.

Maybe the new series will be more enjoyable...?

*shrug* TTG is a better show than any Transformers after Animated.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    That is a good point. At least the Aligned Continuity is over and we have that reboot.
    We'll see if it's the reboot we want.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    You just lumped together three shows that are nothing alike and have completely different reactions from fans.

Also, are you trying to say TFA was uncreative? A show that introduced multiple new characters and concepts that bled into other facets of the brand? Or that Combiner Wars had heaps of praise? The show widely regarded as being even worse than Energon? This post comes across as incredibly out of touch.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been saying it for years. I love TFA, but more often than not, it felt like a giant collection of homages, in-jokes & constant references. I think the show did a lot right, including taking clunky old ideas & refining or repurposing them into something I found more palatable (like the Headmaster concept).

I'll grant you that the show did sprinkle its backgrounds with lots of original characters like Lightbright. I always enjoy the inclusion of new characters instead of the usual assortment of G1 dudes. But what new concepts and ideas did it introduce?

Again- I love TFA. It feels more like a greatest hits show, an ultimate tribute to everything that came before it kinda show to me. But it's also good enough to stand on its own legs.

ANYWAY- first thoughts on Cyberverse: have we gotten anything more than a logo & a title? No? Well, the title and how it looks does nothing for me. I'll have to wait & see what we get.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The in jokes, references and homages were just window dressing, though. They weren't what the show was built on. You could scrub away every visual homage and change every character's name and the show would be just as good. Where was Optimus Prime ever the low-ranking, wasted potential repair crew captain before? Where was the frustrated and seeking inner peace cyber ninja Prowl? Or Bulkhead the lovable giant with hidden savant talents? The list goes on.

References didn't make TFA a good show, they just made it more fun. The show was a completely original experience under the guise of the familiar. Yeah you had a G1-y looking Megatron, but the character could not be more different. Unlike Prime where the references were name drops or literal retreads of plot points cut short, TFA made entirely original stories out of its homages to the point where they didn't even feel like just homages. Unless I missed the episode of Beast Wars where Blackarachnia used to be Elita-1 but was accidentally abandonned when presumed dead and mutated so horribly her own boyfriend wanted her dead. You see my point?

Hell, I would say TFA is uncreative at a surface glance, but it isn't. The shows visual style and the character designs feel so fresh despite being reimaginings of old characters. If anything the show has layers. The first layer has the distinctive style and wonderful character designs, but as you go deeper you see familiarity, the return of old concepts and characters, but going deeper still shows a world and story all its own. That's like saying no TF show is creative because they all use Autobots versus Decepticons, or some approximation. The fundamentals are present, obviously because it's a TF show, but utilized in such a different way. Taking something old and doing something entirely new and different with it, that's what creativity is.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 8
  10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Exactly. There would be zero difference if you removed every reference. They were only there so that the show could be enjoyed on multiple levels by multiple age groups. Any G1 reference went completely unnoticed by any young person that made up the core audience the show was aimed at, and the show was designed to work without kids knowing anything of any version of TF that ever came before.

• Like Like x 2
  11. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

The way this series is described as retelling old stores as well as adding some new ones and the screen cap of a G1 Bumblebee...

I have a theory about what this could mean. Retelling old stories may refer to either recreating some G1 plot lines with new animation and better story telling so no more random characters popping up from no where, no more continuity errors. Everything being slightly altered for a modern era. It could also refer to finally giving us dubs of the Japanese Transformers.

Telling new stories could also refer to Japanese cartoons being dubbed in English. Technally that wouldn\'t really be new but they would be new to us. They could also be continuing stories from G1 that were dropped when the series was cancelled. Introducing Obsidian and Strika as well as other characters who have been retconned into the G1 continuity.

I could be wrong about all of this but it just sounds to me like Cyberverse is going to consist entirely of G1 continuity retcons. Sounds great for fans and as much as I would love to see this, the way they\'re doing this doesn\'t sound like it would appeal to the general audience. If they\'re just retelling specific episodes and adding a few new stories that might make the over all story line impossible to follow for anyone who hasn\'t seen the original cartoon. Again this is all just speculation based on what little information we have right now and that last thing I said I hope is completely wrong because if this series turns out even half as good as I think it will then I want it to be sucessful with all fans not just 30+ year olds.

12. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

I don't expect to see a lot of episode re-enactments, but I hope they keep the best parts, like;

*Optimus vs Megatron on a dam
    *Mirage single-handedly sabotaging the Decepticon's escape and crashing the Nemesis
    *Wheeljack building the Dinobots
    *Alpha Trion re-building Orion into Optimus, the War Dawn origin but with more depth to it.
    *Starscream's Brigade!

I'm very curious how this is going to work. Are they going to make up their own stories, like a normal series would? Are they going to follow the basic progression of G1, and if so to what extent? Will there be a 1986 movie re-enactment? Headmasters?

• Like Like x 1
  13. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Banned

News Credits:
    nah.

14. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    I hope we can also see Dinobots Vs. Prime.

15. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

Because folks were demanding for my opinion on what I want out of this new show, here it is: Give us the tone/style of the new Voltron with a cast of 20 Autobots and 20 Decepticons.

The new Voltron has the right level of camp/seriousness with a nice dose of mystery, character development and fun factor.

What I want copied from G1:

- Distinct and fun voice acting. Beast Wars had this too. The voice acting has to be on point. BW Megs, Cheetor, Rhinox, G1 Soundwave, Megs, Starscream etc all had super memorable voices.
    - Large casts. Army of Autobots versus an Army of Decepticons. Energon and Cybertron sorta had this but G1 seemed to do it better. I'm tired of the small casts.

What I want copied from Voltron or other modern animated shows:

- A fun mystery. Example: How are the bad guys tied to the Voltron force?
    - Episodic but season long story arc. Example: In this episode they are team building but we know everything is building up to a season finale.
    - The new Voltron has campy characterization but it works. Keep this. Boring, indistinguishable characters really harm a series.

What to avoid:

- Keep Optimus and Megs as the leaders, its necessary, but they don't always have to be the focus of the episode. Like G1.
    - A mix of Earth and Cybertron is good but keep it in the present day. I think G1 Season 3 leaned too much into the "near future" and "intergalactic" elements of sci-fi and made the show less fun (IMO).

The Last Question Mark- BW Megs or Emperor Zarkon?

- The Big Bad Guy of the show has to be cunning and funny like BW Megs or sinister and menacing like Emperor Zarkon. Don't give us campy and foolish G1 Megs. But G1 Starscream is good as a secondary, comedic villain (as was Waspinator).

• Like Like x 1
  16. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

That too! And Devastator vs Dinobots/Omega Supreme. I figured it was a given.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Movie Convoy

Movie Convoy Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The problem with having a large cast of nothing but completely distinguishable characters is that the majority of those characters end up with no character development whatsoever and its expensive to make entirely new character models. The majority of the Cybertronians in the G1 cartoon had no character development whatsoever. You don't want to have any Cybertronians whatsoever be appearing completely out of nowhere. I would rather have the show be at least on par with Transformers Prime in terms of the quality of the storytelling. It would be better to have all of the Cybertronians that get no character development whatsoever be generic soldiers. In order for stories to have punch, they need to have scenes that are a setup for the action. They also need various plot twists and reveals to build up suspense.

• Like Like x 3
  18. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Couldn't agree more. I feel this should applicable to all "camps" in such discussions, personally.

To that end, may I please just say...

... is this really helpful? And...

Not trying to provoke debate, but...

... I respect your opinion. There's a ton I would want done differently in any prospective "G1 redux" (greater character diversity, more nuanced and serialized narratives, a more contemporary art and animation approach, among countless other things.) But not everyone's subjective criteria for what constitutes "good" or "bad" agrees with your own. Or with mine.

There are aspects of any artistic work (however cash grabby and transparently toy sales oriented they may be) that are factual and quantifiable... and then there are aspects which depend greatly upon our own subjective criteria. Just saying (and doing so civilly, so please respond in kind if you respond at all.)

Carry on.

19. cj37a

cj37a Well-Known Member

I'm slightly teased and excited for a possible G1 like reboot.
    Hasbro Inc reaction to possible infighting among TF fans on the internet:

• Like Like x 2
  20. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    As long as Aligned is wiped out except for Rescue Bots, I'm looking forward to it. The failed experiment can be buried, and this new show can be judged on its own merits. Nothing more can I ask of it right now. Now, the aesthetics could put me off immediately. As long as they have noses and don't look like Ben 10 humans cosplaying as robots, I'm good. I'll find it palatable from an aesthetic point. The story, well, I have no idea what it is even ABOUT, so can't form an opinion yet.

• Like Like x 3